Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BabyNicol3

Irony

I'll be pulling an all nighter for a speech about sleep deprivation. Ironic, isn't it? If any of you are staying up late or pulling all nighters, why? <-- Totes not using you guys as examples for my speech. Kappa

sleepmeme.jpg 

1 hour ago, BabyNicol3 said:

Please do my paper for me. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Or at least suffocate me as I sleep so I don't have to do this.

How do you prefer suffocation? Slow and painful or a little bit faster but still painful?

1 minute ago, FreeLancer said:

How do you prefer suffocation? Slow and painful or a little bit faster but still painful?

As painful as it can be.

I spend my time playing csgo instead of doing my work. I freak out at the end and try to cram it all and just sleep.

I stay up way late to like 2, sometimes 4 in the morning just watching tv shows in bed on my phone. I think it's mostly because i'm on my phone when i'm in bed, so it's like a psychological thing, but  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Other times it's for homework or when i'm just not sleepy

Bad speech I wrote back in 2005 below.  Won a few medals for high school speech on the topic of sleep dep.  Clocked it at about 7-8 minutes iirc.  EDIT: Actually, this looks like one of my rough first drafts.  I remember including something about knowing someone in my HS that got into a wreck and flipped their SUV because they fell asleep at the wheel.  Also FML my sophomore year of HS was 12 years ago.

-Imitates waking up, looks over at the clock- “Ugh… it’s too EARLY!  I only got 4 hours of sleep last night because I had to stay up and write this report for work today!”
Sound familiar?  This is what 74% of Americans say every time they get up.  According to CNN, sleep deprivation is the number one health concern in America.  Although we get that report done for work, or put in those extra hours for more money, we end up paying for it in the end; in my opinion, we pay too much.  “Why?” you ask?  Because sleep is much too important to simply throw away!  According to Time Magazine, “… sleep ranks right up there with food, water, and sexual intercourse for the survival of the species.  Everybody does it, from fruit flies to Homo sapiens.”
    What actually happens while we sleep has yet to be determined, but several promising theories have been formed, and are being formed, due to the emerging science of Sleep Study.  We don’t need sleep for our muscles; we can just relax to refresh those.  We know for a fact that our brain is what benefits from sleep, however exactly how is the mysterious donkey we’re trying to pin the tail on.  Many people think sleep is a way to review and consolidate the stream of information we receive while we’re awake.  Another more interesting theory is that the brain uses our sleep time to perfect such skills as playing the violin or riding a bike.  There are other theories of what happens when we sleep, however the two I just named are the most common and most plausible.  Now that we know why we sleep, let’s go into what happens while we sleep.  
    Our sleep is broken down into two main categories, Rapid Eye Movement sleep, more commonly known as REM sleep, and non-REM sleep.  Humans take about 90 minutes to complete one “REM cycle,” or the cycle between REM and non-REM sleep.  However, for an unknown reason, as sunrise approaches we spend more time in REM sleep than non-REM sleep.  REM sleep consists of four sub-stages, stages three and four being the deepest.  Also called slow-wave sleep, stages three and four of REM sleep are recognized by the relatively low frequency waves produced by the brain.  According to Time Magazine, “Children are the champions of slow-wave sleepers, which is why they sleep so soundly when being carried from the car to bed.  Adults, on the other hand, get less and less slow-wave sleep as they age, which may be one of the reasons they wake up more often in the night.”  People who are sound sleepers spend more time in REM sleep than non-REM sleep, therefore making them hard to wake.  But what exactly happens during REM sleep that puts us into such a deep state of unconsciousness?
    In 1994, there was a study done at the Weizmann Institute in Rehovot, Israel, that studied the effect of sleep on certain skills and memory processing.  The study found that procedural memory, a type of memory that helps the brain recognize repetitions, was directly affected by the amount of REM sleep you get.  In another study by Robert Stickgold and Matthew Walker, it was found that if you are given a problem that requires repetitious patterns on one day, such as typing a number sequence, get a restful night’s sleep, and then are presented with the same problem the next day, you become much more proficient at the problem.  Thus, a restful night’s sleep would benefit such people as piano players and others with tasks or skills that require repetitious movement.  Now that you’ve heard of all the great things sleep can do for you, let’s have a look at what a lack of sleep can do to you.
    As stated earlier, sleep depravity is the number one health concern in America.  According to the National Sleep Foundation, lack of sleep can lead to fatigue, obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, shortened lifespan, suppressed immune systems and depression.  It can also lead to decreased motor functions and slower response times.  In fact, after being awake for more than 20 hours, a driver is as dangerous as a driver with a .08 blood alcohol level, a level which could get you arrested for drunk driving in 49 states.   According to the Harvard Gazette, “Drivers in the United States and Great Britain have been convicted of vehicular homicide for driving while impaired by sleepiness. In New Jersey, a vehicular homicide law now includes in its definition of reckless driving "driving after having been without sleep for a period in excess of 24 consecutive hours." Similar legislation is pending in Massachusetts, New York, and Michigan.”  On top of having slowed motor movements, you also tend to think slower, not be able to concentrate as much, and overall have a worse attitude due to lack of sleep.
Now that we’ve looked at why we sleep, and what happens when we DONT sleep, it’s time to see how much sleep is “enough.”
    I hear the word going around the street is “8 hours is enough.” Right? WRONG!  In truth, it varies from person to person.  When one man may be ok with 4 hours of sleep, another may be more content with 10.  If you feel rested in the morning, have no feelings of grogginess or fatigue throughout the day, then you have had enough sleep.  If you do have those feelings, then you aren’t getting enough sleep.  Now… everyone knows of teenagers’ notorious habit to not go to sleep until 1 or so in the morning and waking up around the middle of the day (if given the chance).  However, various studies show that during the teen years, the body's circadian rhythm is reset, telling a person to fall asleep later and wake up later. Unlike kids and adults, whose bodies tell them to go to sleep and wake up earlier, most teens' bodies tell them go to sleep late at night and sleep into the late morning.  So, teens can’t really control how late they fall asleep, or how late they wake up, it’s all due to a chemical change in their body.
    In conclusion, we aren’t really sure what sleep does for us specifically, but we have a general idea.  We know it positively affects our brain, leading to better coordination and thought process.  We also know what happens when we don’t get enough sleep; we get fatigued, sluggish, and overall slower in mind and motion.  IT can lead to disastrous effects such as car wrecks, or may result in a doctor making an error during a life-dependant surgery.  As you can see, 20 winks out of 40 don’t quite cut it. Thank-you.

4 minutes ago, Junzou said:

Bad speech I wrote back in 2005 below.  Won a few medals for high school speech on the topic of sleep dep.  Clocked it at about 7-8 minutes iirc.

-Imitates waking up, looks over at the clock- “Ugh… it’s too EARLY!  I only got 4 hours of sleep last night because I had to stay up and write this report for work today!”
Sound familiar?  This is what 74% of Americans say every time they get up.  According to CNN, sleep deprivation is the number one health concern in America.  Although we get that report done for work, or put in those extra hours for more money, we end up paying for it in the end; in my opinion, we pay too much.  “Why?” you ask?  Because sleep is much too important to simply throw away!  According to Time Magazine, “… sleep ranks right up there with food, water, and sexual intercourse for the survival of the species.  Everybody does it, from fruit flies to Homo sapiens.”
    What actually happens while we sleep has yet to be determined, but several promising theories have been formed, and are being formed, due to the emerging science of Sleep Study.  We don’t need sleep for our muscles; we can just relax to refresh those.  We know for a fact that our brain is what benefits from sleep, however exactly how is the mysterious donkey we’re trying to pin the tail on.  Many people think sleep is a way to review and consolidate the stream of information we receive while we’re awake.  Another more interesting theory is that the brain uses our sleep time to perfect such skills as playing the violin or riding a bike.  There are other theories of what happens when we sleep, however the two I just named are the most common and most plausible.  Now that we know why we sleep, let’s go into what happens while we sleep.  
    Our sleep is broken down into two main categories, Rapid Eye Movement sleep, more commonly known as REM sleep, and non-REM sleep.  Humans take about 90 minutes to complete one “REM cycle,” or the cycle between REM and non-REM sleep.  However, for an unknown reason, as sunrise approaches we spend more time in REM sleep than non-REM sleep.  REM sleep consists of four sub-stages, stages three and four being the deepest.  Also called slow-wave sleep, stages three and four of REM sleep are recognized by the relatively low frequency waves produced by the brain.  According to Time Magazine, “Children are the champions of slow-wave sleepers, which is why they sleep so soundly when being carried from the car to bed.  Adults, on the other hand, get less and less slow-wave sleep as they age, which may be one of the reasons they wake up more often in the night.”  People who are sound sleepers spend more time in REM sleep than non-REM sleep, therefore making them hard to wake.  But what exactly happens during REM sleep that puts us into such a deep state of unconsciousness?
    In 1994, there was a study done at the Weizmann Institute in Rehovot, Israel, that studied the effect of sleep on certain skills and memory processing.  The study found that procedural memory, a type of memory that helps the brain recognize repetitions, was directly affected by the amount of REM sleep you get.  In another study by Robert Stickgold and Matthew Walker, it was found that if you are given a problem that requires repetitious patterns on one day, such as typing a number sequence, get a restful night’s sleep, and then are presented with the same problem the next day, you become much more proficient at the problem.  Thus, a restful night’s sleep would benefit such people as piano players and others with tasks or skills that require repetitious movement.  Now that you’ve heard of all the great things sleep can do for you, let’s have a look at what a lack of sleep can do to you.
    As stated earlier, sleep depravity is the number one health concern in America.  According to the National Sleep Foundation, lack of sleep can lead to fatigue, obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, shortened lifespan, suppressed immune systems and depression.  It can also lead to decreased motor functions and slower response times.  In fact, after being awake for more than 20 hours, a driver is as dangerous as a driver with a .08 blood alcohol level, a level which could get you arrested for drunk driving in 49 states.   According to the Harvard Gazette, “Drivers in the United States and Great Britain have been convicted of vehicular homicide for driving while impaired by sleepiness. In New Jersey, a vehicular homicide law now includes in its definition of reckless driving "driving after having been without sleep for a period in excess of 24 consecutive hours." Similar legislation is pending in Massachusetts, New York, and Michigan.”  On top of having slowed motor movements, you also tend to think slower, not be able to concentrate as much, and overall have a worse attitude due to lack of sleep.
Now that we’ve looked at why we sleep, and what happens when we DONT sleep, it’s time to see how much sleep is “enough.”
    I hear the word going around the street is “8 hours is enough.” Right? WRONG!  In truth, it varies from person to person.  When one man may be ok with 4 hours of sleep, another may be more content with 10.  If you feel rested in the morning, have no feelings of grogginess or fatigue throughout the day, then you have had enough sleep.  If you do have those feelings, then you aren’t getting enough sleep.  Now… everyone knows of teenagers’ notorious habit to not go to sleep until 1 or so in the morning and waking up around the middle of the day (if given the chance).  However, various studies show that during the teen years, the body's circadian rhythm is reset, telling a person to fall asleep later and wake up later. Unlike kids and adults, whose bodies tell them to go to sleep and wake up earlier, most teens' bodies tell them go to sleep late at night and sleep into the late morning.  So, teens can’t really control how late they fall asleep, or how late they wake up, it’s all due to a chemical change in their body.
    In conclusion, we aren’t really sure what sleep does for us specifically, but we have a general idea.  We know it positively affects our brain, leading to better coordination and thought process.  We also know what happens when we don’t get enough sleep; we get fatigued, sluggish, and overall slower in mind and motion.  IT can lead to disastrous effects such as car wrecks, or may result in a doctor making an error during a life-dependant surgery.  As you can see, 20 winks out of 40 don’t quite cut it. Thank-you.

Holy poop lord that's a pretty good speech. I wouldn't describe it as bad, it's pretty decent god damn brilliant.  It hit some big points on sleep. I wish mine was like that. I'm basically just hitting the affects lack of sleep can have on a person. I'll post it when I finish it, which'll probably be at 5 in the morning :^). Thanks for sharing!

1. You arrive in class on the day of a final sleep deprived due to partying the night before. You start the exam having trouble remembering the material and next thing you know, RING RING, exam is over. You look up at the clock startled, look down and see nothing is answered because you fell asleep in the middle of the exam. You can say sayonara to a decent grade in the class.
  2. By now you know that I am talking about the affect sleep has on a person, but I’ll be going more in depth about the consequences lack of sleep can have.
  3. I have read many articles, surveyed the people around me about their sleeping habits, as well as taken classes that have focused on sleep.
  4. Learning the importance of sleep can affect your future health and help you avoid making poor choices.
  5. It is important to understand how sleep can affect a person’s physical health, mental health, and mental processes because it can affect anyone.

(TRANSITION: Let us begin with how sleep can affect a person’s physical health.)

BODY

1. Sleep deprivation can influence anybody’s physical health.
    1. Not receiving a sufficient amount of sleep can lead to illnesses like the common cold.
      1. In the article “Sleep Habits and Susceptibility to the Common Cold” written by five medically certified experts with either a PhD or a MD, states that “people who averaged less than seven hours of sleep a night were about three times more likely to develop cold symptoms than other volunteer patients who got eight or more hours of sleep when exposed to… rhinovirus”.
        1. From what I have learned, the lack of sleep lowers the immune system’s defenses leaving people more susceptible to getting sick.
    2. Not only will the risk of getting a cold increase, studies show that obesity and insufficient sleep are connected.
      1. One study conducted by various medically certified experts, Neal Kohatsu, MD and Terry Young PhD, to name a few, found that people who slept fewer than five to six hours per night were more likely to have excess body weight, while people who slept an average of eight hours per night had the lowest relative body fat.
        1. Midnight snacking is not the only thing to be wearily of at night.

(TRANSITION: Now that we know how a person’s physical health can be influenced, lets talk about the effects on mental health.)

1. Sleep deprivation can further affect a person’s mental health.
    1. An example of a mental health issue is depression.
      1. In the article “Sleepy Teens May Be More Prone to Depression, Study Says” researchers at Columbia University found in a study done in 2010 that insufficient amounts of sleep may increase the likelihood of depression and suicidal thoughts among teenagers.
      2. Now teenagers aren’t the only ones with an affected mental health, adults are also prone to mental health issues such as depression.
        1. “The American Academy of Sleep Medicine reports that obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a common sleep disease afflicting at least 25 million adults in the U.S. Untreated sleep apnea increases the risk of other chronic health problems including heart disease and depression.”

(TRANSITION: Now that we have a basic understanding on the effect sleep has on mental health, lets delve more into the impact sleep has on mental processes.)

1. Sleep has a big impact on mental processes.
    1. One mental process affected by sleep is memory.
      1. Though there is not one straight paradigm on how sleep affects memory, countless research has been done on the subject that has been leading researchers to theories similar to one another.
        1. The article “The Power of Sleep” written by Judy Foreman goes into detail about the research and studies lead by Robert Stickgold, an assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Those researchers have come to understand that during REM, Rapid Eye Movement, neurotransmitters such as serotonin are “shut off” while other neurotransmitters like acetylcholine (a memory booster), are activated.
        2. I interviewed ----- on how he performs in class and his sleeping habits. He noticed that on the exams where he did not sleep enough the night before he did slightly worse than the exams where he did sleep enough and prepared for the exam.
          1. It is crucial to understand that it doesn’t always work like that for everybody though.
    2. Another mental process influenced by sleep is judgement.
      1. When a person lacks a sufficient amount of sleep, they are more likely to have a slower reaction time.
        1. The CDC, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, stated that “The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that drowsy driving was responsible for 72,000 crashes, 44,000 injuries, and 800 deaths in 2013.”
      2. An interesting fact is that November 1-8 has been named Drowsy Driving Prevention Week by the National Sleep Foundation to bring more awareness to drowsy driving.

CONCLUSION

1. All creatures require some form of sleep, whether it be every few hours or every other week, because it is necessary for survival.
  2. By explaining and understanding the affect sleep, or lack there of, it has on a person’s mental health, physical health, and mental processes we can better prepare ourselves for the days to come.
  3. Let me end on an old saying that we all might have heard as young children, “Good night, sleep tight, and don’t let the bed bugs bite.”

Basically, Sleep is for the weak ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)