Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K-Logic

GPU Upgrade

So, I'm terrible with research, probably just laziness, but I know I want to eventually upgrade my GPU.

I currently am using 7770 in my rig, which is probably the only thing that is hindering my rig.

I have an AMD 8320 3.5 GHz CPU
16GB ram
256 SSD
2 TB and 1 TB HDDs
CX600 PSU
ASUS M5A99X EVO Mobo

I know specs aren't ENTIRELY important, but I thought I'd throw them out there.
So, question is, what would be a nice GPU upgrade from the 7770 that isn't budget breaking?

Whoops. My bad.

Budget would be around $200, maybe $250.

Although, the graph Swed provided is pretty good so thank you Swed!

10 hours ago, K-Logic said:

Whoops. My bad.

Budget would be around $200, maybe $250.

Although, the graph Swed provided is pretty good so thank you Swed!

The Gtx 1060 and the Rx 480 are both really great options, if you are going for a single card i would get the 1060 but if you want to get a second card in sli/crossfire down the road get a 480. If you have the extra cash go with the 6gb or 8gb variants, it ensures that it will last a while before you need another upgrade. But if i were you i would wait until black friday and scope out the best deals.

On 10/2/2016 at 3:54 AM, K-Logic said:

I currently am using 7770 in my rig, which is probably the only thing that is hindering my rig.

On 10/2/2016 at 3:54 AM, K-Logic said:

I have an AMD 8320 3.5 GHz CPU

kek

11 hours ago, FreeLancer said:

The Gtx 1060 and the Rx 480 are both really great options, if you are going for a single card i would get the 1060 but if you want to get a second card in sli/crossfire down the road get a 480. If you have the extra cash go with the 6gb or 8gb variants, it ensures that it will last a while before you need another upgrade. But if i were you i would wait until black friday and scope out the best deals.

Vram does not ensure longevity. Vram only applies to the resolution you're playing the game in. For example csgo at 1080p uses 700mb of vram. However bumping to 4k will require around 1.2 gb of vram (based on my rig monitoring software). If you only do 1080p gaming, get the 3Gb variant. The 6Gb vram is not necessary but it is known to be 10% faster than its 3Gb variant. Your GPU choice should also reflect the games you play and other applications. If you play triple A titles with insane graphics and work with 3D rendering softwares you should get a more powerful card. However, if you only play games that are not as demanding such as CS:GO, then you don't need a GTX 1080. 

8 hours ago, VEGEMITEKILLER said:

Vram does not ensure longevity. Vram only applies to the resolution you're playing the game in. For example csgo at 1080p uses 700mb of vram. However bumping to 4k will require around 1.2 gb of vram (based on my rig monitoring software). If you only do 1080p gaming, get the 3Gb variant. The 6Gb vram is not necessary but it is known to be 10% faster than its 3Gb variant. Your GPU choice should also reflect the games you play and other applications. If you play triple A titles with insane graphics and work with 3D rendering softwares you should get a more powerful card. However, if you only play games that are not as demanding such as CS:GO, then you don't need a GTX 1080. 

Yes but most modern games do not require more than 4gigs of vram, if you plan to play new games as they come out they will require more and more vram and you will have enough to last you until you want to upgrade.