Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sith

Getting rid of Central

Why do we still have central? I know we used to have two Gmod servers, one for vanilla and one for custom. But currently they're both vanilla, and honestly, its a pain in the ass to administrate both. If they're both vanilla, the only reason one would connect to one or the other is because of:

1.) Higher player count

2.) Better ping

3.) Administration presence

West usually has the higher player count and considering how the ping is only superior (for me at least) by 50, West is usually more populated but there are rare occurrences that Central is also populated. Administration presence on Central is next to none because no one plays it and we're stretched out enough as it is to keep a constant presence on West. Just doesn't make sense why we'd host two servers when there's clearly one that's dominant and offers the same exact thing as the other.

I think it has been explicitly stated that custom was shut down indefinitely because it just wasn't populated.  However if one of you guys who wants the second server to be dedicated to something different knows how to run that type of server and make plugins and make sure everything works it's possible that Zach would allow that.  Sitting here complaining in this thread that you want a different server is fairly pointless because there is no one to make/run it.  

@Duex You just wan't the DarkRP drinking game to keep going.  Every time one of those servers fails we take a shot. 

5 minutes ago, Thelnternet said:

However if one of you guys who wants the second server to be dedicated to something different knows how to run that type of server and make plugins and make sure everything works it's possible that Zach would allow that. 

I don't know anything as far as coding goes, but making a server and managing one is super easy on GMod. There isn't really any coding involved in that. 

52 minutes ago, Thelnternet said:

I think it has been explicitly stated that custom was shut down indefinitely because it just wasn't populated.  However if one of you guys who wants the second server to be dedicated to something different knows how to run that type of server and make plugins and make sure everything works it's possible that Zach would allow that.  Sitting here complaining in this thread that you want a different server is fairly pointless because there is no one to make/run it.  

@Duex You just wan't the DarkRP drinking game to keep going.  Every time one of those servers fails we take a shot. 

What I'm saying is, if Custom is "shut down" why the hell is it still up? The server is still running, with no one to deal with it. I'm saying just scrap the server entirely, unless we want to do something different with it, which I doubt because TTT is sG Gmod's bread and butter.

Next time actually read my post lol

47 minutes ago, Wintergreen said:

I've heard that Central is like the Wild West, anything goes.

That's true, until Papa Rise comes along to clear.

It's not going anywhere. It has brought in new players to our servers that have moved on from Central to West, when Central is empty. It has been gaining in population, over the past several months. There have been instances of over 50 concurrent players, across both servers. There was a decision was made to keep West, because there was a population hit, when we initially switched from Central to West. The playerbases are not the same, as West has players from Mexico, Latin America, and the West Coast. Central had many Canadian players from the Great Lakes region, East Coasters, and players in the Midwest. There was little crossover, in terms of regulars. The way it's set up now gives them a choice, while allowing our West Coast population to be unaffected. 

People bitch and bitch and bitch about lack of administration, even on West, but they don't take any initiative to report people on the forums. The damage logs are a powerful tool available to anyone, and combined with screenshots or demos, they can easily get almost every rulebreaker banned. Threads about people breaking the rules on GMOD TTT servers typically get handled very quickly. No, there aren't enough admins on, but there also aren't many people willing to be proactive and show that they would be worthy of admin.

Custom isn't going to come back up. There is no one available to properly curate it, and even then, it would still likely fail. CS:S is required for it, and aside from people that choose to pirate the textures, there is no real incentive to buy CS:S, unless someone wants to spend money on making GMOD more playable. We tried for around two years to get Custom populated, through different methods. A population of new players never arrived, and the regulars got bored and moved onto something else. It's just beating a dead horse.

Would I want something like TTT circa 2011-2013? Yeah, but that's unrealistic.

On 9/26/2016 at 1:37 PM, Wintergreen said:

I've heard that Central is like the Wild West, anything goes.

You wouldn't dare step foot in there