Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FreeLancer

We should remove Rep

7 minutes ago, Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV said:

I swear to god Piero, I've said it the last time you said that, its phi alpha, stop slightly changing these everyday memes, it's one of my triggers 

ok narwahles

10 hours ago, FreeLancer said:

I dont understand why we have rep if there are groups of people just up and down repping people for no reason at all.

You're just assuming that it's for no reason at all because you're new and on the receiving end of it, and can't find a reason why people would disagree with a post. It's generally a very good gauge for whether or not people agree with an idea. Sure, there's the occasional bandwagon, but getting people together to DV a post is a lot more work than people just reading a post and doing it naturally.

7 hours ago, FreeLancer said:

Wtf "teaching tool" You must be an idiot, how is down repping going to make then learn anything, it doesnt effect them at all. And what would the clan do to that person?

Weigh it against you when determining your clan application? If someone has exactly or close to 25 posts and has a rep count in the negative, it's much easier to tell if someone was just posting content just to increase their count as opposed to a positive count which would help indicate a productive member of the forums.

8 hours ago, Rune said:

I find rep to nice in that it allows me to show that I agree with a post without actually having to pointlessly quote and post "I agree."

This and a thousand times this. I've been a member of a game mapping/modding forum (not really a gaming forum, just a forum for strictly map design) for almost 12 years, and I've seen the introduction of a karma system as well as the removal of it before sG even existed. The introduction of the karma system greatly boosted the productive post density of all subforums, while the removal of it somehow reduced the quality post density and cluttered up threads more than before the system came into effect. Instead of UVing threads, posts were made consisting of entirely a quote with "This." written below it. You can even see the effect it's had on me from the first sentence of this paragraph.
Anecdotal evidence aside (especially of a forum of a smaller scale and a much finer scope than sG), it should be fairly obvious that the Karma system is the best thing to come to forums since quoting itself.

7 hours ago, KiLLeR said:

I strongly disagree, the rep on your post definitely reflects the kind of posts you make in this situation.

This.

7 hours ago, Piero said:

lol removing rep in 2016

Making productive posts in Spam in 2016.

On 9/18/2016 at 7:01 PM, Zip said:

then why post

Because if you get any type of rep, it means you gain someones attention. I just dont care if it is good or bad rep, the higher the number the better.

9 minutes ago, FreeLancer said:

Because if you get any type of rep, it means you gain someones attention. I just dont care if it is good or bad rep, the higher the number the better.

Except there is a major difference between positive and negative attention. You seem to only care about attention as a whole, and not about the specifics of it.

There are people like that in the community too, guess how they are doing? 

4 minutes ago, Yunki said:

Except there is a major difference between positive and negative attention. You seem to only care about attention as a whole, and not about the specifics of it.

There are people like that in the community too, guess how they are doing? 

Just fine cause anything on this site doesnt really affect their life