Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MisterTurkes

New Youtube Advertising worthy content guidlines

To begin. These tech companies are becoming way to invested in actual social movements. In the newest way companies can fuck content creators over came the change in advertising guidelines. These new guidelines establish what type of content youtube/google is willing to set up an advertising account with in order to keep their image up.

Content that is considered "not advertiser-friendly" includes, but is not limited to:

• Sexually suggestive content, including partial nudity and sexual humor
  • Violence, including display of serious injury and events related to violent extremism
  • Inappropriate language, including harassment, profanity and vulgar language
  • Promotion of drugs and regulated substances, including selling, use and abuse of such items
  • Controversial or sensitive subjects and events, including subjects related to war, political conflicts, natural disasters and tragedies, even if graphic imagery is not shown

so basically. literally nothing on planet earth is allowed by these guidelines now when it comes to making money through google. My personal favorite is Controversial or sensitive subjects and events, which is not only subjective, but also encompasses literally every single fucking thing on planet earth. Does that shitty blue or gold dress meme from years ago follow under this statement? Yes! I for one am truly grateful that large companies are now so afraid of a vocal minority that seeks to censor everything and anything under a banner of acceptance despite doing the exact opposite, that they will completely cut out a majority market just to please them.

If you haven't seen anything about this already just about every youtuber and his/her mom is making a video on these guidelines and I pray that a new platform for video hosting will appear with youtube having had its head up its ass for a very long time (mostly due to the fact that they make no money off of it and wont put resources towards it).

to read the actual guidelines click here ->>>> https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6162278?hl=en

I don't see why everyone and their dog is getting so worked up over this. Like are you people surprised that there's content that advertisers don't want to associate their products with? Google makes its money from advertisers, and if they're refusing to pay for advertising on controversial videos then obviously Google is going to give in to their demands.

Besides, it's not like Google is refusing to monetize every video on Youtube that has controversial stuff. All this policy says is that they have the right to refuse monetization to things that are controversial. It's not an automatic ban on any video that contains the subject matter you posted. They even say on their policy page that they'll keep monetizing any video that has inappropriate content as long as the context is newsworthy or comedic and the content creator is working to inform or entertain people and not deliberately offend. 

Edit: lmao Apparently there's been no actual policy or enforcement change, Google has had this policy in place for a while and has been unmonetizing videos for just as long. The only thing they changed was that they now actually email content creators when a video is unmonetized.

36 minutes ago, Rune said:

who the fuck watches advertisements on youtube anyway?

fuck off google

#Adblocklivesmatter

I mean while I'm not happy it happened you do have to remember youtube is a free service that needs to stay operational. Its entirely possible alot of companies that do ads complained about seeing their ads on videos that they totally did not want to associate with. I would have rather it been a case by case basis where companies can request not to be associated with specific types of content and people who make the videos have to mark which kinds of content they have and then gain or lose revenue based on their share of ads that can appear on their channel.

7 hours ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

I mean while I'm not happy it happened you do have to remember youtube is a free service that needs to stay operational. Its entirely possible alot of companies that do ads complained about seeing their ads on videos that they totally did not want to associate with. I would have rather it been a case by case basis where companies can request not to be associated with specific types of content and people who make the videos have to mark which kinds of content they have and then gain or lose revenue based on their share of ads that can appear on their channel.

the issue isn't the fact that they are trying to make advertisers be willing to put their money towards youtube. the issue is that the guidelines they have put forth have absolutely no real guidelines in them. They are entirely arbitrary and its up to youtube's discretion as to whether someone loses adsense or keeps it. You as a content creator have no possible way of knowing if youtube just will crack down one you one day. Its the same issue with the old copyright system. One idiot can fuck you over without feeling a single repercussion. your harmless gameplay video gets reported for no reason next thing you know you are no longer making money on any of your  cs:go videos cause it has violence in it.

2 hours ago, MisterTurkes said:

the issue isn't the fact that they are trying to make advertisers be willing to put their money towards youtube. the issue is that the guidelines they have put forth have absolutely no real guidelines in them. They are entirely arbitrary and its up to youtube's discretion as to whether someone loses adsense or keeps it. You as a content creator have no possible way of knowing if youtube just will crack down one you one day. Its the same issue with the old copyright system. One idiot can fuck you over without feeling a single repercussion. your harmless gameplay video gets reported for no reason next thing you know you are no longer making money on any of your  cs:go videos cause it has violence in it.

Let's see if they actually go about enforcing this more than half heartily. I'll be willing to bet within a month this gets completely ignored. Cases I've seen so far seem to be the work of a shitty algorithm they're probably still tweaking. Like I said I'm not in favor of how they're going about it but I understand where they're coming from and I doubt they're trying to censor people since that has never been an issue for them in the past.