Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Velo

Processor upgrade

Hey guys

So I've been running a Dell optiplex 3010 desktop for a year or so now. It came with an i5-3470 chip with 8GB of ram. I have my old AMD Radeon HD 7950 card from my eight core build shoved in to this little tiny case. Had to punch out all the rivets and 'remove' the hard drive bay for it to fit. I'm running one 128GB Toshiba SSD which is a few years old. I can't find specs on it now, but the read/write speeds were around the 500 meg mark next to a 500GB HDD for storage. Topped it off with a 850 watt power supply, can't remember the manufacturer. Overall, i'm pretty happy with this thing, and I really don't see the need to build another machine for at least a year or more. It boots in a few seconds, will play all the games I play and programs load pretty quickly.

Right now i'm brainstorming how I can get the most out of what I have. Apparently the board in this box can handle up to a i7-3770 chip. I've priced some out around the interweb to around 250-$300. Can I get some opinions on if I should go for this or not? Also considering upgrading my graphics card eventually since rust only gets 25-30 fps on high.

I got my 3770k for 180$ from Micro Center, check them out for processors, they undercut online retailers by 100$ regularly

16 minutes ago, Swed said:

I got my 3770k for 180$ from Micro Center, check them out for processors, they undercut online retailers by 100$ regularly

I live about 10 minutes from a Micro Center, but they don't seem to stock these anymore :(

The 3770k is awesome I overclocked mine to 5.67Ghz a year ago and it's still running. FeelsGoodMan

are you maxing out your cpu? what do you hope to gain from this? you'd see better results with the graphics card..

I got my Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz from Micro center for $300. They had a bundle for buying a motherboard with it or something like that and it lowered the price.