Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dray

What Power Supply(s) Do You Currently Use

Currently im still trying to find out how to make my graphics card (gtx 460) display on my monitor 

I gave my dad my computer and my gtx 460 on the day i left to mexico, to see if his friend could check if my graphics card is working properly 

after 1 week being in mexico yesterday when i came back my dad gave me my computer back and i noticed its still the same old gt 730 i had installed 

he told me his friend was able to run my gtx 460 but i needed a new power supply because i only have 180 watts in my computer meaning i need at least 480 watts and two 6 pin connectors to make my gtx 460 run on my pc 

so i wanted to ask what power supply's do you currently use, and what power supply's (with two 6 pin connectors) do you think would run a gtx 460 

and help and advice would be very appreciated

What is it?

A power supply unit (PSU) takes AC power from an outlet and converts it to clean DC power, usable by your PC. Higher quality PSUs give cleaner power and higher efficiency, and have more protections to prevent your PC from catching on fire and burning down your house. Also, cheap PSUs rarely provide their rated power. A $25 500W PSU is very likely to be a 200W PSU with a fancy sticker.

Which Brands/Models:

• Seasonic (all)
  • XFX (all)
  • Antec (Earthwatts series, Neo Eco series, HCG series, True Power New series)
  • Corsair (TX-V2 series, HX series, AX series)
  • Silverstone (Strider Plus series, Strider Gold series, Zeus series)
  • Cooler Master (Silent Pro Gold series, V series)
  • Rosewill (Capstone series)
  • EVGA (G2 series, P2 series)
  • FSP (Aurum series)
  • be quiet! (Dark Power Pro 10 series)
  • Super Flower (Leadex series, Golden series)
  • There are others, let us know if we've missed quality PSUs.

Use a PSU calculator (e.g. extreme.outervision) to determine your power needs. Your PSU will be more efficient, cooler, quieter, and less stressed when running at lower loads, so a good idea is to get a slightly more powerful PSU than needed. Getting an overpowered PSU will not cost you extra on your power bill, either. If you get a 1000W power supply and your PC only needs 150W, the 1000W PSU will only supply 150W.

Efficiency:

Nearly all modern power supplies are certified with an efficiency rating, typically the "80 Plus" program. "80 Plus" means that the PSU delivers at least 80% of the power taken from the wall, and wastes the rest as heat. The higher the rating (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Titanium), the more efficient the PSU, and the less power wasted. Most PSUs are at peak efficiency at around 50% load. Read more on Wikipedia: 80 Plus

Modularity:

Normal PSUs have all (or most) of the power cords fixed in place and not removeable. Modular PSUs allow you to add or remove cords for less clutter and improved airflow, but usually come with a premium price tag.

Warning

Low-quality PSUs may not provide the rated wattage, may deliver unstable power (damaging your components over time), may be less efficient (hotter, noisier), and can explode (yes, kaboom-style, with fire and smoke).

Low-quality PSUs usually cannot provide the rated wattage, since the advertised power is the sum of power on all rails. High-quality PSUs are rated by the power on the main rail only, and advertise the "true" wattage.

Tips:

• Check for the cables needed if you’re building a multi-GPU PC using SLI or CrossFire.
  • Some PSUs do NOT come with a power cord, so check first.
  • Check jonnyGURU for some nice reviews.
  • Check this PSU Review Database to see a very comprehensive catalogue of PSU reviews.
  • Check the "Who is the manufacturer of your PSU?" page to see who is the real manufacturer of your PSU. Most PSUs are not manufactured by the brand on the label.

45 minutes ago, Darren said:

I use a 650W power supply, and it's plenty for my gtx 970

I use 650W power supply, and it's plenty for my gtx 660 FeelsBadMan

You're overthinking this. Just buy any 80+ power supply from a reputable brand that has what you need. In this case, you're looking for 450W+ (according to power specifications on the gtx 460) and two six pins. In some situations you would have to worry about the amperage that can be supplied from each rail of a PSU, but I doubt the 460 takes nearly enough power to worry about that.

If it helps, I've used a Seasonix X 750W and am currently using a Seasonic 660W Platinum. Both are high quality PSUs with the only benefit of making my e-peen bigger.