Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheWaffler

Should more gun control laws be enacted?

I was just wondering what everyone thought about gun control. I know that there's a wide variation of opinions on the matter, so I thought it would make for an interesting debate. Do you think that gun usage/owning a gun should be restricted or do you think that we should allow people to own their own firearms freely.

39 minutes ago, Ironic said:

Pretty sure we've had other posts about this.

Yeah I though this was already a post and wasn't their one also a more recently?

Guns are tools. And like any other tool, you keep them out of the hands of people who might hurt themselves or others, but you don't outright ban them.

So yes some gun-control is necessary, but the whole debate sort of distracts from the more important issue of mental illness and how to identify/treat it so that gun-control can actually work.

Edit: I guess that doesn't answer the question. My answer would be: No, not yet. Legislation aimed at gun control needs to be able to effectively address mental illness, otherwise it would only serve to make the issue more confounding.

2 minutes ago, Ian Kinsler said:

No.

Very well said. I don't think I could have said it any better.

32 minutes ago, Thelnternet said:

yes

3 minutes ago, Ian Kinsler said:

No.

Very elaborate answers XD

51 minutes ago, Ironic said:

Pretty sure we've had other posts about this.

Meh, that topic is over 8 months old. No harm bringing it back up now imho.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Guns are tools. And like any other tool, you keep them out of the hands of people who might hurt themselves or others, but you don't outright ban them.

So yes some gun-control is necessary, but the whole debate sort of distracts from the more important issue of mental illness and how to identify/treat it so that gun-control can actually work.

Edit: I guess that doesn't answer the question. My answer would be: No, not yet. Legislation aimed at gun control needs to be able to effectively address mental illness, otherwise it would only serve to make the issue more confounding.

You just wrote down all of my thoughts. I think that it's totally ridiculous how a stupid parent gives their child with a mental illness a gun and they shoot up a school. Then because of these idiotic parents good folk with guns who just want to protect themselves lose their right to have a gun. Really in a way, the problem is the parents, not the guns. It really depends who gets their hands on the guns.

Parent gives child gun, and leaves it in an unlocked place with ammunition near by. Parent neglects child's problems. Parents say violent things at home. Child thinks it is okay to act violently. They take the gun and ammo to school and kill people. If anything needs to be done, it is if you are in a family, you must prove that you have a safe place to store guns. https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/10lcid_violence_related_injury_deaths_2010-a.pdf