Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lemonade

Caitlyn Jenner and the problem with recognition

As many of you know, Bruce Jenner came out as a Transsexual, and then became Caitlyn Jenner. She won an award for the feat, and even got her own Lipstick brand.

Despite her committing  (while accidental) vehicular manslaughter and getting away with it, she still won the award. And now, she's making more money than ever.

The true problem here is recognition.

Why aren't other trans people getting awards when most of the time, they are all going through struggle and probably can't afford the surgery, while Caitlyn Just happened to have more than enough?

Recognition.

People regonize her and that's why shes getting all of this shit, all of this money, while other trans people are just getting hate instead of awards for doing nothing.

Recognition plays a huge role today in society. What are your thoughts on recognition, and your thoughts on Caitlyn as well?

Kind of takes away your argument when you don't even know the name of the person you're talking about. I mean clearly she's not getting that much recognition if you can't even remember her name.

nt m8 gr8 Ffort

1 minute ago, Travesty said:

Kind of takes away your argument when you don't even know the name of the person you're talking about. I mean clearly she's not getting that much recognition if you can't even remember her name.

nt m8 gr8 Ffort

I fixed it

I'm just retarded.

Just now, RistoPOWER said:

I'm just retarded.

Maybe we should recognize you and give you an award! :D

Just now, Travesty said:

Maybe we should recognize you and give you an award! :D

I just came out as retardsexual.

My personal opinion of Caitlyn, as biased as it may be, is that she isn't a good representative of the trans community. She might have been sort of a celebrity and came out, but I definitely think the award she won for braveness was misguided. Coming out as trans is a difficult and dangerous process, sometimes people can be very angry or violent. Caityln has been an example of a trans person, but she shouldn't overshadow other trans women such as Laverne Cox and Janet Mock. The manslaughter and republican views paint her in a bad light, and I strongly disagree with her opinions on "traditional marriage." As a member of the trans community, I have seen a lot of people that are misinformed about trans people. As much as I may not agree with her views, Caitlyn's gender should be respected as it is a very difficult process. However, she isn't raising awareness about how bad things currently are for trans people. Homelessness, blantantly transphobic laws such as HB2, and generally being uncomfortable and depressed don't make trans people's lives any easier. Caitlyn has made efforts, and that should be appreciated, but nobody should think that she represents the community. The suicide and suicide attempt rates are very high among the people in this community, and the "trans panic" defense is absolutely horrific. Violence and simple ignorance are so very common from other people simply because of identity. 

Anyways, that's my opinion as a trans person. I could say a lot more, but I'm gonna stick with this. If anybody has any questions or whatever idgaf if you want to message me. 

I remember her going on Ellen and condemning same-sex marriage. It was amusing to see all those "bravery this and that" people either backpedal into the shadows or hastily change their opinion. 

On 5/4/2016 at 3:54 PM, Drew Brees said:

I remember her going on Ellen and condemning same-sex marriage. It was amusing to see all those "bravery this and that" people either backpedal into the shadows or hastily change their opinion. 

Sorry for late reply. I think overall supporters of the community (trans* or lgbtq) wanted her to be a posterchild for the representation of trans people. After she said those things, people wanted to refuse her as a "posterchild" and try to protect from the lgb community from removing the t as many are trying to. An overwhelming majority of trans folks are either lgb or supporters. As we experience a lot of discrimination, and they do as well, we try very hard to keep the community. Making trans people seem homophobic encourages a split which is very probable and destructive to what progress the trans community has made. But, people definitely did react badly by doing that instead of saying that we don't agree. Thanks for your input by the way.