Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kordless

The HTC Vive is looking so much better than the Oculus Rift

NASA quotes:

"With strong visual quality and the unique room-scale tracking function, Lighthouse, the Vive was chosen by our lab for the first iteration of our system [hybrid reality]."

With the combination of the Lighthouse system, the Room Scale, the Steam Theater mode, and all the wonderful games, Vive is looking like an amazing hardware choice.

It's $799 + Shipping.

This may seem expensive compared to the Oculus at $599 + Shipping, however the Oculus doesn't ship with the touch controllers that make the whole VR experience truly amazing.

Vive ships with the lighthouse system and two touch controllers.

The Oculus Touch Controllers are projected to cost over $150, this makes the Vive seem like the better value for money.

Check out some gameplay, I just preordered mine.

To be honest there's a few concerns I have with the Vive, including the bunch of wires that run down your back and how the hell you plan on "moving" in virtual reality. Per the prior demos of the Vive there's two towers that determine the playable area so having an open world (or really any larger world) would be awkward. That being said, I also have no idea how the Oculus Rift would handle a similar situation...

14 minutes ago, Mimic said:

To be honest there's a few concerns I have with the Vive, including the bunch of wires that run down your back and how the hell you plan on "moving" in virtual reality. Per the prior demos of the Vive there's two towers that determine the playable area so having an open world (or really any larger world) would be awkward. That being said, I also have no idea how the Oculus Rift would handle a similar situation...

Yes, it's wired, put the wires are long enough to where it isn't a real issue in the enclosed space of your living room or other playable area.

There are plenty of solutions to this issue that have already been found by people who have Vive Pres.

For the games with an open world, you would more want to use the Steam Theater mode to sit down and play with a keyboard or a controller, like the Oculus.

Vive detects when you are getting too close to the wall or a potential object, so it stops you in game from running into things. 

The rift was never originally intended to be used in movement, they had to adapt to better compete against the Vive.

The only real place where the Rift shines over the Vive is initial price, the built in headphones, and maybe long term comfort.

seems nice, I've seen the Job simulator on this. But the problem is that you can hit your pc or wall in accident and the wires behind your head. Still nice :0

It definitely seems a whole lot of a better deal than the Oculus for the fact that i comes with both touch controllers, so you dont have to order them in addition to the Rift. Can't wait to get enough money to get my hands on her.

The HTC Vive looks really cool, I would totally pre-order it if I wasn't poor af. It looks a lot better and cleaner than the Oculus, but my only concern is that I really don't have enough space anywhere to put it. I'd totally bump into anything and everything. Apart from that, this looks really neat!

now if only I had a vr-ready computer...

Its valve,i honestly didn't expect anything less really.

It does look much better then the oculus but the oculus has one really good selling point..the price,the VIVE just costs too much in my opinion.

To be honest,if you have money to buy any of these two you should probably buy something more important,like a new car or a better PC(i'd go with the second one personally ;) )

24 minutes ago, Da Boss said:

Its valve,i honestly didn't expect anything less really.

It does look much better then the oculus but the oculus has one really good selling point..the price,the VIVE just costs too much in my opinion.

To be honest,if you have money to buy any of these two you should probably buy something more important,like a new car or a better PC(i'd go with the second one personally ;) )

Well I just ordered a 980TI as an upgrade for my PC, I'll probably sell it and get a Pascal or Polaris card once they come out. I had spare money and a desktop with an FX-4100, so I figured it was way overdue to upgrade.

Speaking of which, my new mobo and i7 are waiting for me at home for a few weeks now, I already have 16GB of DDR4 being delivered today as well.

The rest of my PC is solid, including the SSD I bought a few months ago on sale and never had a real use for.

The hard drive is fine at 1TB 7200RPM, and the PSU is great, not much left to upgrade.

My Honda Accord is reliable as fuck and only has 50k miles, so I don't need a new car.

I've tested the Vive Pre and the Oculus Rift and I love the Vive that much more after trying it out, it's worth it for me.

30 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I still don't believe that having two screens literally glued to your eyes for multiple hours at a time is healthy

-chicago ted, phd.

Yea that makes a lot of sense..

Also,just pointing this out,the playstation vr got a price tag and its much cheaper than both of these,how do you guys feel about that? 

Do you think it will be any good like the others? Or will it be watered down for the cheaper price.

44 minutes ago, Da Boss said:

Also,just pointing this out,the playstation vr got a price tag and its much cheaper than both of these,how do you guys feel about that? 

Do you think it will be any good like the others? Or will it be watered down for the cheaper price.

Playstation VR is mostly meant for the PS4.

Playstation VR is one 5.7 inch screen instead of two smaller ones, it also only has a 1080p resolution, which is lower than both the Rift and the Vive.

You also have to purchase a PlayStation Camera separately for $60.

It's also limited to the PS4, those with a PC gaming setup or Xbox One are SOL.

Being limited to the PS4, you have a lot of restriction on your gaming library, there is no doubt that Rift and Vive will support many more games and have a better experience.

It weighs more than both the Vive and Rift.

It's also releasing 5-6 months after both the Vive and Rift.

Yes, it's $400, which is half of the Vive, but you don't get near the same functionality as either the Oculus or the Vive.