Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AntiTeal

Is this a good 1k$ build?

Hey guys, I've been thinking about building a new computer to use, and I wanted to know if you guys think this part list is good for 1000$.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q63G7P

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($115.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $988.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.

I'm still on edge about the PSU and maybe the motherboard, so if anyone has any suggestions, those would be appreciated.

Thanks so much, and any feedback is welcomed!

:D

The power supply probably won't be enough to support the video card. Here is a great list of video cards and there wattage/amperage requrements https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards. I found one that would be cheaper and is semi modular http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr. From what some of the reviews said it might be a pain to use windows 7 on, but that's about it.

sorry for my crummy formatting, I hope this helps.

Be careful about the SuperNova line. If you have the option, always go with the G2/P2/T2 as there was a redesign that vastly improves regular operation of the power supply itself, and is much less likely to fail (has to do with capacitors and how +12V rails are handled). Wattage shouldn't be too much of an issue, since the load on the system will be in the general vicinity of its peak efficiency.

Other than that, looks pretty solid. You'll want to change up the CPU cooler once you have money down the line, as well as grabbing an SSD. If you can pump another 75-100 into it, definitely grab an 850 EVO as big as you can afford. 

As others have said, if you can put out another ~100ish, you can get a decent size SSD. It's not essential, but you will be much happier with it. If you've never had an SSD, you don't know any better, but the difference is really unbelievable. The rest of your build is pretty solid, as mofl said I'm not too sure on the quality of the CPU cooler. As far as your concern about the mobo, the most important thing is that it has the sockets you need, which it does. I've always preferred asus, as I've always had great experiences with them, the bios work great, etc.

If you've never had an SSD, you don't know any better, but the difference is really unbelievable.

Got one for the first time ~6 months ago. Can confirm, giddy smiles at how fast bootup and launching things is compared to the old HD I was using.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($224.95 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.44 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Silicon Power S60 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390X 8GB Tri-X OC Video Card  ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1011.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 19:52 EST-0500

I managed to squeeze an R9 390X in there along with a 120 GB SSD to at least use as a boot drive and to store games/programs that you run frequently. It only goes 11 dollars over budget, and if you really need those 11 dollars you can probably shave off a few with a cheaper case.

Now the reasons why I chose what I did:

-6600k doesn't have much of an advantage over the 4690k other than supporting DDR4 RAM, which doesn't make a huge difference in performance in the first place

-Motherboard is good for the price, can be used for overclocking (nothing extreme but moderate overclocks will work) and has most standard features of a mobo

-RAM is cheap and doesn't matter too much as long as you don't get the crappiest stuff available. I have 16 GB of RAM personally, and believe me, it's not necessary.

-Having an SSD will make a huge difference in loading and boot times

-While Sapphire isn't probably what first comes to mind when you think of reliable brands, they actually do make good AMD cards and have a good reputation overall with their customers. PowerColor is the real brand you should stay far away from

-This PSU might not look too good on first sight (sorta old looking) but it actually is made with better parts than the PSU you had in your post. Seasonic makes very good products

If you don't want the 390X too badly I would invest, like others said, in a bigger SSD and a better CPU cooler, but the EVO and S60 are fine really

i probably tried a bit too hard with this post but oh well

Now the reasons why I chose what I did:

The problem with you choosing what you did, is that you can no longer upgrade your system if you want. Your mobo has the 150 slot for a PCU, rather than a 151, you can't get DDR4 RAM, etc.

You also have the an extremely low ram speed on what you selected... Overall, other than getting the SSD and getting a 390x over 390, I don't think those outweigh getting a system that won't be able to be upgraded. Even if he doesn't have the money for an SSD in his current build, he could easily add one in a month or two... 

The problem with you choosing what you did, is that you can no longer upgrade your system if you want. Your mobo has the 150 slot for a PCU, rather than a 151, you can't get DDR4 RAM, etc.

You also have the an extremely low ram speed on what you selected... Overall, other than getting the SSD and getting a 390x over 390, I don't think those outweigh getting a system that won't be able to be upgraded. Even if he doesn't have the money for an SSD in his current build, he could easily add one in a month or two... 

I can see where you're coming from

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.44 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($37.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Silicon Power S60 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390X 8GB Tri-X OC Video Card  ($389.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Cougar Solution 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1006.25

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 21:11 EST-0500

Case isn't amazing but it works