Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sith

It's that time

It's that time boys. I can't run any new games on anything higher than medium usually. It's time to upgrade my rig. I'd like to ask around for a couple of suggestions. Here's my current rig:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHz

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5

MSI ATX DDR3 1066 NA 970A SLI KRAIT EDITION

G. Skill F4-12800 8 GB DDR3 PC3-12800 RipJawsX

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 250 GB hard drive

Antec BP550 Plus 550w Power Supply

I'm looking at my CPU and my video card. Trying to make a significant jump in terms of performance for a moderate price.

Also, I always had a question, and I figure you guys could answer it: I always hear about CPU 'core's'. Unlocking core's, locked core's, multiple core's... What does that mean? Can i unlock a 'core' in my current CPU? How would it affect my performance?

Thanks guys.

nvidia is launching new gpu in april/june, id wait for some announcements

an "unlocked" processor means you can overclock it (and possibly damage it). most intel processors are locked unless you get the -k variant while amd is usually open. "unlocking more cores" was a trick with some shitty phenom x2 where they were actually x4's  with 2 cores disabled or something

I would recommend what I recently got: GeForce GTX 950 (about 150 bucks) and AMD FX-6300 6-core (about 100 bucks). Both are great value parts when you weigh performance vs cost (I haven't run into any performance issues yet, can run games like GTA V at max settings with zero slowdown)

I would recommend what I recently got: GeForce GTX 950 (about 150 bucks) and AMD FX-6300 6-core (about 100 bucks). Both are great value parts when you weigh performance vs cost (I haven't run into any performance issues yet, can run games like GTA V at max settings with zero slowdown)

What manufacturer?

I'm currently using the Intel i7 3770. 4 cores, 8 threads. Default 3.5 ghz, which is insane and more than I could ever use. But if I want more, it goes up to 3.9. However, it is ~$350, and I don't know if you meant $400 total or for each part.