Sign in to follow this  
wow.

Issue with player models

Hello sorry if this is in the wrong place. Recently a few players and i have had issues with certain player models in the sg servers. The issue is that there appears to be a gaint error box around the character of the person with the player model. For me when cts would use admiral ackbar skin this error would appear. I have tried multiple times and waited multiple weeks deleting and redownloading my model file then reloading. Just randomly a few days ago I thought I would try this fixing method. It finally worked but it still took me like 2 months and over 100 tries for this to finally work. I know for sure that TooNice(An admin on jb) has the same issue with altair.

Link to my screen shots for better visual of issue:http://steamcommunity.com/id/shimmjimmy6/screenshots

So you're saying that you've had this issue for months, and you just got it fixed?

Also, if you know, or if TooNice could comment, is he seeing this issue now, or previously?

We've been updating models, and I've only set them to public use once I've verified people are downloading them correctly and can see them. This makes it really important to verify if you are seeing this now or previously. If it was previously, and it seems to be working now, this is a good thing and mean things are getting fixed.

So you're saying that you've had this issue for months, and you just got it fixed?

Also, if you know, or if TooNice could comment, is he seeing this issue now, or previously?

We've been updating models, and I've only set them to public use once I've verified people are downloading them correctly and can see them. This makes it really important to verify if you are seeing this now or previously. If it was previously, and it seems to be working now, this is a good thing and mean things are getting fixed.

Yes it has recently been fixed and too nice still has issues with a certain model

I have just recently been experiencing these issues with the altair skin for about 3 to 4 weeks and have deleted and redownloaded the models file over and over and it still shows the error box which prevents me from playing near any player with that skin.

Multiple people have had the default T and CT model remain untextured on a fresh install, too. Could that be missing from the download table?

shhh I'm fixing it...

We were kind of worried this/something like this would happen, but nobody had said anything until Patron told me he only saw untextured skins on a different computer. Basically the new models still reference old materials files, and the way fastdl works is it looks for materials of the same path as the model path to make the players dl. So we have to force the download of the old materials since that link has essentially been broken (it would have cost significantly more $$$ to have the guy redo all the materials, as it no longer becomes a fix, and is completely remaking the models).

(it would have cost significantly more $$$ to have the guy redo all the materials, as it no longer becomes a fix, and is completely remaking the models).

wut? :o

I think this might be a little late but I get black models for default t and ct models. There are no errors just black models. It only happens with the default skins though.

I don't get what's not clear about that.

1. You paid someone to remake the models?

2. Why would the materials need to be remade?

3. Rewrapping the 3d model with the texture =/= remaking it from the scratch? Isn't it just retexturing it?

1. You paid someone to remake the models?

2. Why would the materials need to be remade?

3. Rewrapping the 3d model with the texture =/= remaking it from the scratch? Isn't it just retexturing it?

1. Yes. Nobody in sG knows how to do modelling. 

2. There's a lot that goes into making a model. They didn't HAVE to be remade, so we didn't. Basically inside of a model exists code (more or less), which contains things like file paths to where the needed materials are located. You can't just go in and change these paths, you end up having to completely redo the model itself. This is where the problem comes from people not having textures, because we now have new models that NEED old materials. The way the downloader works is something like this (we'll say the file path is models/players): Fastdl sees a model with the path models/player/duke, this is our duke nukem skin. It assumes that in the materials folder, there will be an exact same file path as this model (materials/models/player/duke). This is true, so you are able to load the model - but the problem is, the models are ACTUALLY referencing old materials (materials/models/player/old/duke), and fastdl can't see that, and doesn't force you to download the actual needed materials.... Solution? Force you to download the needed materials.

3. People think models aren't that hard. I addressed the whole problem in 2, it's not just taking a skeleton in paint and putting a new skin over it. You create a whole new skeleton, materials, etc. for every model.

I think this might be a little late but I get black models for default t and ct models. There are no errors just black models. It only happens with the default skins though.

The same problem i have

1. Yes. Nobody in sG knows how to do modelling. 

2. There's a lot that goes into making a model. They didn't HAVE to be remade, so we didn't. Basically inside of a model exists code (more or less), which contains things like file paths to where the needed materials are located. You can't just go in and change these paths, you end up having to completely redo the model itself. This is where the problem comes from people not having textures, because we now have new models that NEED old materials. The way the downloader works is something like this (we'll say the file path is models/players): Fastdl sees a model with the path models/player/duke, this is our duke nukem skin. It assumes that in the materials folder, there will be an exact same file path as this model (materials/models/player/duke). This is true, so you are able to load the model - but the problem is, the models are ACTUALLY referencing old materials (materials/models/player/old/duke), and fastdl can't see that, and doesn't force you to download the actual needed materials.... Solution? Force you to download the needed materials.

3. People think models aren't that hard. I addressed the whole problem in 2, it's not just taking a skeleton in paint and putting a new skin over it. You create a whole new skeleton, materials, etc. for every model.

Yeah I c...

Just thought if the one who did the remodelling had the model file open in a 3d software coulda updated the filepaths... I dunno what format cs models are nor if you can even edit them straight up..

I looked into making custom models to my map but couldn't get the collisions to work properly.

That's why I asked cause I'm pretty noob at this stuff but I managed to make some stuff just don't know how to export it correctly.

BG1O2zl.jpg

vNV5h7Y.png

Edited by xmen

I was having this problem until the other day. My fix was reinstalling csgo.