Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

driz

possible pc upgrade

Hello friends and hated enemies, my family required that I have an actual wish list so I put together some upgrade options for one of my systems.  My goal on this system is

1. to keep a small profile (within 300mm x 250mm x 350mm)
  2. allow efficient air cooling
  3. maintain a low sound footprint
  4. be relatively energy efficient. 

I've ranked items in order based on other equipment i have in storage that could be used pending full purchase (on the amazon list). I also have a 4 port KVM so new kb/mouse/monitors aren't an immediate need.

the system being upgraded is the following

• Asus P7P55D-E Pro
  • Intel Core I5 750 (overclocked to 2.8GHz) (lynnfield socket 1156)
  • 2 Intel SSD in Raid0
  • 2 WD Blacks in Raid0
  • Dual channel DDR3-1600 16G (4x4) (8-9-9-24-41 @ 1.5V)
  • NVidia GeForce GTX 460 (1G GDDR5 OC'd to 500Mhz core)
  • NVidia GeForce GTX 260 (896M GDDR3 OC'd to 400Mhz core dedi PhysX)

See the below comparison of my lynnfield I5 vs a haswell-e. With the OC on my i5 the clock speed is the same on both. The TDP is vastly different with the Haswell being 28W and the Lynnfield being 95W

capture.png

I play csgo max @ 1080p (i dont really play anything else) (no i don't actually need to upgrade and if i did i could probably just use my "server" for gaming and put the server shit on this)

Here are my thoughts for my upgrade: https://amzn.com/w/1MST56G8Y5SGZ

I verified that the number of PCIE lanes available will allow me full speed on everything I plan to use this box for (m.2 pcie4x, x16 graphics, 4 usb 2, usb3.1, and 2xsata3)

the single 12V rail on the PSU allows up to 56A which is more than enough and although i wanted a platinum rating, gold met my requirements.

honestly driz you are one of the most knowledgeable guys on here, you know exactly what you want and judging on how long you kept your old system you seem like a smart consumer who understands exactly what you are paying for.

My only concern is that the 970 is kinda shitty with its memory issue, just look up 970+stuttering on youtube for examples. Id wait for the next gen of nvidia cards so you wont be stuck with a card that is immediately obsolete

honestly driz you are one of the most knowledgeable guys on here, you know exactly what you want and judging on how long you kept your old system you seem like a smart consumer who understands exactly what you are paying for.

My only concern is that the 970 is kinda shitty with its memory issue, just look up 970+stuttering on youtube for examples. Id wait for the next gen of nvidia cards so you wont be stuck with a card that is immediately obsolete

omfg why is this not fixed? physical issue? i dont understand why "high textures use 3.6G ram" so you get forced to use medium quality when this bitch should handle high quality.. wtf.. on steamcommunity i'm seeing people discuss the same issues on the 980s (although not near as much and it sounds like it could be related to a cpu bottleneck). i'll take that advice on waiting for the next batch. thanks! (this is why i reach out, i had no idea about this particular issue)

The only thing I would change is the motherboard. You can get a good Asus for that price.

can you link one? i prefer asus but couldn't find a 170 mini-itx asus (even at a higher price)

this is what i originally built around but i wanted mini-itx http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012NH05UW?ref_=wl_mb_recs_4_title

slick thanks man, gotta look at these. that ROG is hot shit but the second one has an attractive price point while meeting all my major needs! thx

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-maximus-viii-impact-extreme,30288.html

the cheaper board is out: 

Cons: Asus says that m.2 slot supports PCIe 3.0X4, but after 2 hours on the phone with teck support, it does not, not Sata III. In order unlock PCIe on the M.2 slot you have to buy and install hyper kit. The kit will not work on this board because the m.2 slot is on the back of the board, so there is not enough space between the back of the board and the case (any case). Very bad marketing by Asus, a name a trusted for a long time. Retuned the board, had no choice

the 

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Impact is out because it lacks M.2 all together. It supports U.2 which will be great (in about 2 years)

back to the ASRock unless anyone can sway me.