Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noah

ISIS attacks on Paris, state of emergency

On another note, why hasn't security been stepped up after the Charlie Hebdo attacks? You'd think it'd be still pretty tense there. 

It was, and they did.  Heard on NPR that their military was still deployed in the streets, so they had a relatively quick response.

There was uproar over the attack earlier in the year and now this. Even in my area right now there is increased armed response units, along with the UK doing the same. It's a huge tragedy, and unfortunately France with its large population of Islamic culture, is getting brunt of it. It won't be long before something will happen in the UK in London. There's no confirmed isis involvement yet, but undoubtedly they will be the ones behind it, similar to Tunisia.

I read a quote from one of France's defense officials that this couldn't have been stopped unless France was a full fledged police state.

Do you think that Heads of State are willingly going to let their own people die because a few assfucks and shitstains of humanity think their religion is more important than other people's lives?

They wake up every day having to think "Is there something I can do more?". Don't act like the government is simply incompetent in protecting its own people.

Relax, Swed, I'm not saying fuck France's government or that they couldn't protect their own people. It's all speculation, I'm not criticizing, condoning or condemning, asking questions isn't an attack on anyone's idea. The response time was great, but still, as of 3:21 AM in Ohio, CNN said something about as little as 5 men pulling this off. One guy no older than myself.  But 153 people? It's astonishing. I'm still heartbroken over this. The shitty thing is that these attacks, or other mass murders, aren't stopping anytime soon. It's impossible to track any and all troubled individuals. The report also said that any "chatter" about the attack was extremely limited. It took everyone by surprise. 

This will be remembered for a long time. Today we will stand with France and pray to the 127 people that have lost their life's to the terror attack on the French cafes, stadium and in the streets. We will help France in the future and hopefully we can fight terrorism together and one day, ISIS is gonna pay for this.

The same day there was also a earthquake off the coast of japan and there was a tsunami watch, i dont think it happened but crazy man, Friday the 13th op

While the Japanese were celebrating the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December of 1941, the mastermind of that attack, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, had a sobering message for his countrymen: "We have awakened a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve."

History repeating itself

I remember about 6 months ago I was talking to one of my friends and he told me something along the lines of, "We are overestimating IS, they aren't a real threat" I gave him the strangest look that day. This tragedy shows that this radical terrorist organization will not stop. We must find an effective way to stop them before more innocent blood is spilled. This photo really got me feeling a sense of community and hope that one day we can live in a safer world

"When Paris turned out it's lights, the rest of the world them them on."

cOeyPSb.jpg

The Eiffel Tower actually turns its lights off every night at 1am. Still a good sentiment for a picture :).

Trollolol. Imagine if they messed with Russia. Putin smash.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

We must find an effective way to stop them before more innocent blood is spilled.

The best way to stop them is to not get involved. If the West just leaves them be then they will start to kill each other in a power struggle and won't hold nearly as many grudges against us. The Sunni / Shia divide as well as the search for power and resources will make them kill each other, not us, if we get the fuck out of there.

Increasing our presence in the Middle East is exactly what ISIS wants. It gives Sunnis around the world more reason to join ISIS and gives them a scapegoat for their attacks. If we had less media coverage over ISIS (since we wouldn't be involved) it would also be unlikely that more young Muslims from the West fly out to join ISIS.

Don't let the fucking terrorists win like they did on 9/11. Don't let anger and revenge get the best of us.

I have a few family members in Paris, scared me to shit yesterday when i saw the news. 

My cousin works at a restaurant 2 blocks from the Bataclan, 2 fucking blocks. The whole world is watching the terror and my family is experiencing the terror. So fucked up man. They are at war. 

This is really sad and its also sad we haven't stopped isis by now..

You can't just 'stop' them. Refer to Kim's post above.

Unless there is near universal support from the Arab world, US involvement then it will either fail, or spawn new organizations.

The best way to stop them is to not get involved. If the West just leaves them be then they will start to kill each other in a power struggle and won't hold nearly as many grudges against us. The Sunni / Shia divide as well as the search for power and resources will make them kill each other, not us, if we get the fuck out of there.

Increasing our presence in the Middle East is exactly what ISIS wants. It gives Sunnis around the world more reason to join ISIS and gives them a scapegoat for their attacks. If we had less media coverage over ISIS (since we wouldn't be involved) it would also be unlikely that more young Muslims from the West fly out to join ISIS.

Don't let the fucking terrorists win like they did on 9/11. Don't let anger and revenge get the best of us.

While I do agree that attacking them only fuels their story line, it is becoming undeniable that these people are a problem. The main reason they aren't doing more damage than they are is because they don't have the technology to do so just yet. Hopefully they never do.

Honestly, at this point something needs to be done. What that may be, I'm not sure. But you can't just act blind and not do anything.

Edit: I also want to say I don't think these attacks are mainly a geopolitical issue caused by 'The West'. I'd honestly argue this is more an ideology and belief issue that causes behavior. 

I pray they aren't ISIS. I'm tired of being labeled a terrorist because I'm Muslim. These pigs give the wrong message and prove to be more cancerous with every passing day. They don't reflect our teachings.

While Islamophobia is inherently wrong, criticizing the teachings of Islam and the book of Quran needs to be done. There needs to begin a certain level of reform for modern moral values (similar to Christianity) within the billions of people in the Muslim community. Obviously, easier said than done but honest discussion needs to start.

They may not reflect your teachings but they reflect their teachings of Islam. If you think about it, what exactly are ISIS doing different from the war lord Muhammad? They are using these teachings and beliefs to carry out these heinous acts to 'non-believers'.

It pains me deeply about what happened in France. A lot of people in the world now also blame my country, Belgium, because the terrorists had all their weapons here. Mostly because of a mayor that was incompetent and lazy to do something about radicalism in that city.

Every country, every culture, every human should work together and help each other to eradicate this pest from the world. I wouldn't mind if they would reintroduce military service and call me as people should be at least a bit prepared for this.

just my 2 cents

While Islamophobia is inherently wrong, criticizing the teachings of Islam and the book of Quran needs to be done. There needs to begin a certain level of reform for modern moral values (similar to Christianity) within the billions of people in the Muslim community. Obviously, easier said than done but honest discussion needs to start.

They may not reflect your teachings but they reflect their teachings of Islam. If you think about it, what exactly are ISIS doing different from the war lord Muhammad? They are using these teachings and beliefs to carry out these heinous acts to 'non-believers'.

I disagree. "War lord" is a bit extreme, especially given that the Crusades and other righteous wars came out of spreading their influence from all religions. The difference between ISIS and the Prophet's are HUGE. He had very specific instructions for warfare;

Don't cut down trees,

don't kill women or children, or the elderly,

don't destroy places of worship, regardless of religion,

treat prisoners of war fairly and treat them well, to name a few. 

You're also forgetting that ISIS has killed more than 150,000 Muslims in the past two years. ISIS has done nothing more than spit on his teachings.

More Muslim countries have women in higher political positions, such as Indonesia, Turkey, Jordan, Malaysia and more. You have more extreme countries like Saudi Arabia which most certainly give women less rights than our nation or others, but even they are - slowly - moving towards more reformed, modern societies. Criticizing one religion or another doesn't do much; I like to think that the vast majority of practicing Muslims, like most majorities, consists of liberal, modern people. As the millennial generation grows up, so does undoing the strictness and makes each culture less of a closed society and more of an open, welcoming community. 

I disagree. "War lord" is a bit extreme, especially given that the Crusades and other righteous wars came out of spreading their influence from all religions. The difference between ISIS and the Prophet's are HUGE. He had very specific instructions for warfare;

Don't cut down trees,

don't kill women or children, or the elderly,

don't destroy places of worship, regardless of religion,

treat prisoners of war fairly and treat them well, to name a few. 

You're also forgetting that ISIS has killed more than 150,000 Muslims in the past two years. ISIS has done nothing more than spit on his teachings.

More Muslim countries have women in higher political positions, such as Indonesia, Turkey, Jordan, Malaysia and more. You have more extreme countries like Saudi Arabia which most certainly give women less rights than our nation or others, but even they are - slowly - moving towards more reformed, modern societies. Criticizing one religion or another doesn't do much; I like to think that the vast majority of practising Muslims, like most majorities, consists of liberal, modern people. As the millennial generation grows up, so does undoing the strictness and makes each culture less of a closed society and more of an open, welcoming community. 

I completely disagree with you. Islam, like most religions, is extremely contradictory and many times brutal. The reason "good" Muslims exist is not because of their beliefs, but rather the secular values that hold their beliefs at bay. The same can be said for Christians and many others. The positive values we attribute to people are more often than not based on secular ideas and beliefs. Some people take their secular views and try to cherry pick the good things in their religions and use those things they picked as reasons for why they have these good values, but in reality they are just trying to validate their religion.

When you say "As the millennial generation grows up, so does undoing the strictness and makes each culture less of a closed society and more of an open, welcoming community." you are correct. What you don't mention however is one of the most important steps to not sticking to backwards traditions and being open minded is going to be the reduction in religious belief. The way to do that is not through restrictions or violence, but through education.

Travesty, on 16 Nov 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

Honestly, at this point something needs to be done. What that may be, I'm not sure. But you can't just act blind and not do anything.

Edit: I also want to say I don't think these attacks are mainly a geopolitical issue caused by 'The West'. I'd honestly argue this is more an ideology and belief issue that causes behavior.

It is not acting blindly to let them fight each other until they get to a weakened stage. All you do by taking out ISIS right now is open a power gap that will be filled by another group, likely Al-Nusra. Now, you could argue that Al-Nusra would be better than ISIS, and I would agree with you, but the amount of risk is not worth the potential for a small reward in my mind. ISIS, while strong, is not strong enough to conquer their enemies in the Middle East. If it were to come down to fighting exclusively within the region they would not come out on top, so calling it "blind" to leave the Middle East in a state of fighting against each other is ridiculous.

Your edit doesn't fully make sense to me. Those two things you mentioned aren't mutually exclusive. Of course ideology plays a big part in these attacks, but acting like geopolitical action isn't involved is just silly. There's a reason they targeted France and Russia more than anywhere else, those countries are doing the largest offensives against ISIS (other than the US).

I completely disagree with you. Islam, like most religions, is extremely contradictory and many times brutal. The reason "good" Muslims exist is not because of their beliefs, but rather the secular values that hold their beliefs at bay. The same can be said for Christians and many others. The positive values we attribute to people are more often than not based on secular ideas and beliefs. Some people take their secular views and try to cherry pick the good things in their religions and use those things they picked as reasons for why they have these good values, but in reality they are just trying to validate their religion.

When you say "As the millennial generation grows up, so does undoing the strictness and makes each culture less of a closed society and more of an open, welcoming community." you are correct. What you don't mention however is one of the most important steps to not sticking to backwards traditions and being open minded is going to be the reduction in religious belief. The way to do that is not through restrictions or violence, but through education.

Travesty, on 16 Nov 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

Honestly, at this point something needs to be done. What that may be, I'm not sure. But you can't just act blind and not do anything.

It is not acting blindly to let them fight each other until they get to a weakened stage. All you do by taking out ISIS right now is open a power gap that will be filled by another group, likely Al-Nusra. Now, you could argue that Al-Nusra would be better than ISIS, and I would agree with you, but the amount of risk is not worth the potential for a small reward in my mind. ISIS, while strong, is not strong enough to conquer their enemies in the Middle East. If it were to come down to fighting exclusively within the region they would not come out on top, so calling it "blind" to leave the Middle East in a state of fighting against each other is ridiculous.

Your edit doesn't fully make sense to me. Those two things you mentioned aren't mutually exclusive. Of course ideology plays a big part in these attacks, but acting like geopolitical action isn't involved is just silly. There's a reason they targeted France and Russia more than anywhere else, those countries are doing the largest offensives against ISIS (other than the US).

I agree with you.

My only point was that some people believe this is solely a geopolitical issue.

Narwhals - I'm on my phone at the moment but just to throw a stat out there for you. 78% of British Muslims are deeply offended by the cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo -- I think that is saying something about the beliefs of Muslims and freedom of speech. Don't forget this poll was done on a western (modern) group of people.

http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/BBC-Today-Programme_British-Muslims-Poll_FINAL-Tables_Feb2015.pdf

I agree with you.

My only point was that some people believe this is solely a geopolitical issue.

Oh yeah those people underestimate how dedicated people are to their ideologies.

Oh yeah those people underestimate how dedicated people are to their ideologies.

Yep. I think a piece of it is because to them the Book of Quaran is the literal word of God. Whereas the Bible is a bunch of collected stories and edits from many people.

Islam is a completely different ball game from Christianity.