Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ordinarygamer96

Gaming laptop help

So before anyone says I should just get a desktop ill just say for me thats not practical as it will also be my school laptop and have to travel with me cross country during breaks etc. So for christmas I hope to get a new laptop and my mom says she'll pay half as my christmas present. My budget in total then is around 800 because im saving for other stuff and I want to get the best deal for that. I'd like it to be able to run games like dayz, total war attila, etc on decent settings along with cs go of course. Is that possible with that budget?

I give you fair warning, if you are trying to get a portable desktop you're gonna pay for it with a sore shoulder and back. (source: have run many of those across campus, it pays to have a bottle of painkillers in the backpack.)

Basically since your budget is 800, it depends on what we're talking on chipsets.

Are we going intel or AMD? (CPU) Or AMD or Nvidia? (GPU)

What size screen are you thinking of? or better yet, do you want good resolution and refresh rate?

Do you want an onboard dvd/bluray drive or are you fine with buying a usb based one later?

Hope you also like windows 10 as almost all laptops now basically use it.

Any other features that you want for it? (g.e. HDMI output, webcam, touch screen)

I have an MSI GP60 2PE Leopard gaming laptop. I've had it just a little over a year and it's flawless. Plays Skyrim, CSGO, Fallout 3/NV and all current games at 60+ fps. Highly recommend. I use it the same as you; I live in Cleveland but I go to college in Toledo. I need something that can move both places with minimal effort.

I give you fair warning, if you are trying to get a portable desktop you're gonna pay for it with a sore shoulder and back. (source: have run many of those across campus, it pays to have a bottle of painkillers in the backpack.)

Basically since your budget is 800, it depends on what we're talking on chipsets.

Are we going intel or AMD? (CPU) Or AMD or Nvidia? (GPU)

What size screen are you thinking of? or better yet, do you want good resolution and refresh rate?

Do you want an onboard dvd/bluray drive or are you fine with buying a usb based one later?

Hope you also like windows 10 as almost all laptops now basically use it.

Any other features that you want for it? (g.e. HDMI output, webcam, touch screen)

I have amd currently but to tell you the truth barely know the difference between brands. I don't need a big one 15 to 17 inch is fine as its for personal use and maybe netflix with my girlfriend. I'd prefer having DVD but Blu Ray dosent matter. Haven't installed Windows 10 but I'm sure I'd be ok with it. Other features would be a microphone and Webcam for skype.

And narwhal I've seen that before during research I'll keep that as an option

Laptop's suck because they suffer from compromises. You can upgrade the Memory and Storage but that's about it in 2 years you'll start noticing how you need to lower the settings for some of your newer games and in 3-5 years it'll basically be obsolete as you won't be able to upgrade the CPU or GPU. Your other compromises come in the form of the triangle of uselessness. 

a5abe44346.png

You want a $800 laptop, easy to carry around, you'll lose performance, you get the point. Honestly for $800 you're in a pretty tight spot. Your sweet spot will prob be a 15" 1080p with low-med specs that prob has some thickness to it, and on top of that it probably won't be relevant for gaming at 60fps after 2-3 years. I'd just get a cheapo chromebook for school and use the rest of the money to upgrade a currently existing desktop (assuming you have one.) 

My rough hope is something that can do skype , games like skyrim, dayz, and total war attila on decent settings, last roughly 3 years on low to medium for most modern games, and be ok to carry in a backpack. For around 800 dollars buts I MIGHT be able to save for 900 I'm just trying to save for an apartment also.. Don't have a desktop as its not very practical for me. Not looking for. Play AAA games on super high settings but maybe medium etc. Roughly 15 inch if possible

800 bucks for a laptop isn't going to get you much, but here i'll start your search.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-001A-00098

just search newegg and shit. keep in mind you can buy a refurbished/open box model of most laptops and it's $50-100 cheaper, but i wouldn't bother. 

you're also going to need a cooling pad, so look into that. my brother's laptop overheats fast as fuck without one.

you MIGHT be able to run games on medium and get 60 fps, but i doubt it. don't look forward to running any new games higher than low with some medium sprinkled in if you're searching for higher than 30-45 fps. you'll easily run CS:GO and shit and never drop below 60, but yeah.. laptops aren't something to look forward to game on, unless you're going to shell out some $$$.

My friend has a lenovo y50 and I can confirm that it's pretty good. I would have recommended the Aorus X3 plus with the 870m GPU since those are cheaper (since Newegg had it $700 off) but it's still over your budget :(. The lenovo y40 is also a pretty good one if you don't mind not having a backlit keyboard.

I would wait a couple of weeks for cyber monday and see what goes on sale.

Have your mind by then if youre going to build a mini desktop, or going to get a full laptop.

Thats when you should be looking to buy, and fast.

Need a laptop because I take it to class and need it to be pretty portable. I really don't need a hard core one the most intense gaming I want to do is total war or maybe some Arma 2. Cyber Monday might end up being my plan. Already have a very cheap cooling pad but prob will buy another if the laptop I buy is known to have issues

Does it have to be a gaming laptop?

If you have to take it to class, just get an asus zenbook, I love mine.

Here's a link.

It has the option to add like more ram and a GT940M for like 300 more but the idea of a gaming laptop just isn't worth it imo.

I don't have a desktop currently and want to get a gaming laptop so i have some more options. Don't expect to run say fallout 4 but i want to run more games like attila and maybe dayz. The older laptop is being given to my girlfriend as part of a christmas gift once i get a new one

800 is pretty low in terms of a gaming laptop, it might be worth waiting until you can up the budget a bit. 

My budget is now around 900 or 1000 mom was willing to put in more money than expected

I know a lot of people, including myself, will say not to get a gaming laptop as they just aren't as up to snuff as towers. But I just translated what you have there into a tower form (more or less) and it's about the same deal price wise as what you've found there. I know the components don't preform the same (CPU/GPU) but I guess it's not really a bad deal if you are serious about laptop. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/h2odemon/saved/#view=gLYFf7

EDIT:

I see I missed the webcam, here is one that will still keep the tower version under $1,000. 

http://www.amazon.com/MGA-366560-Bratz-Be-Bratz-com-Webcam/dp/B000RFSO06/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447362912&sr=1-8&pebp=1447362947282&perid=1K4EVZGSDC8374PKZHRE

I know a lot of people, including myself, will say not to get a gaming laptop as they just aren't as up to snuff as towers. But I just translated what you have there into a tower form (more or less) and it's about the same deal price wise as what you've found there. I know the components don't preform the same (CPU/GPU) but I guess it's not really a bad deal if you are serious about laptop. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/h2odemon/saved/#view=gLYFf7

EDIT:

I see I missed the webcam, here is one that will still keep the tower version under $1,000. 

http://www.amazon.com/MGA-366560-Bratz-Be-Bratz-com-Webcam/dp/B000RFSO06/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447362912&sr=1-8&pebp=1447362947282&perid=1K4EVZGSDC8374PKZHRE

I absolutely would love to have a nice desktop like the one you built there but as it stands right now it isn't practical for me. I need a laptop for school that can travel by plane. So now im pretty sure i've found the one I want.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152711

I understand that, I was saying that laptop seems like it's a good deal. But that MSI seems like an even better deal. 

I understand that, I was saying that laptop seems like it's a good deal. But that MSI seems like an even better deal.

Ahh ok was tired last night and misunderstood but thank you I'm really excited to get this new laptop just gotta start saving money before Christmas

at first I thought this might be about a gaming laptop that needed help. then I read that it's another thread about a dude wanting to be a gaming laptop for "reasons."

while I can't justify the purchase of a laptop with a highpowered gpu, I can say that it would probably be better if you saved up for what you really wanted. right now, I would just get something makes sense for what you need. so, buy something for your schoolwork... I've known plenty of students who do the gaming laptop and school thing only to have it crap out with all their studies/notes on it. you don't want that because then you're out and got nothing.

1. get something practical right now

2. save the rest for parts

3. watch price trends and get good deals

4. soon enough you'll have what you want