Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arrkham

Company Charging an Employee for Mistake?

Alright so I am a manager at a fast food restaurant. Last saturday, I may have forgot to lock one of the doors to the store. Now we are closed on sundays, and a couple of customers walked in and set off the alarm. The police department is now going to fine my employer $160 for that incident for "false alarm". I heard a rumor that I might have to pay that fine. Is this even legal? Can they charge me for a mistake? I live in Utah if it is determined by state laws. If they can't, and you find information, give me a link. Hopefully this stays a rumor. If not I want to make sure I have to pay it before I do.

Yeah I talked to my boss and I have worked there 8 months and it was just a simple mistake but a bad one. First one I have had gone wrong.

I'd fire you.

You're worried about 100 dollars over something that could be much much much worse.

Even if it was illegal to fine you, you fucked up. In the real world when you fucked up you pay for it, not go into legalities with your employer.

if you made the mistake, you should pay for it. Be glad someone didn't come in and steal everything, else you have had to pay for that too.

Unless you are a contracted employee I wouldn't expect that you would have to pay.

Sadly for the employer, but chances are you are probably protected. I'd have to do a bit more reading. Also read through half the paperwork you signed when you started. It might actually have a similar case.

Are you working at a franchise?

Generally, no, you wouldn't have to pay and it would actually be illegal because ti would probably drop you below minimum wage. I was a general manager at a fast food place for about a year and a half and it's a huge no-no to make employees pay for things like that.

Of course, they can still fire you, but a lot of places won't fire you on the first incident. They have big old HR policies that they have to follow and you have to be documented for at least a few minor screw ups before they get the OK to terminate you.

Generally, no, you wouldn't have to pay and it would actually be illegal because ti would probably drop you below minimum wage. I was a general manager at a fast food place for about a year and a half and it's a huge no-no to make employees pay for things like that.

Of course, they can still fire you, but a lot of places won't fire you on the first incident. They have big old HR policies that they have to follow and you have to be documented for at least a few minor screw ups before they get the OK to terminate you.

TERMINATE, TERMINATE.

your boss sounds like a scumbag

he probably knows the laws and is betting on you not looking this up to save himself literal pocket change

you cannot get fired for bringing this up, he already decided to let you keep your position before you caught him trying to fleece you

In the real world when you fucked up you pay for it

In the real world a contract is made between employer and employee, and any access granted to the employee is at the risk of the employer. It's absolutely illegal unless he signs something consenting to it.

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r610/r610-003.htm#T18

If your employer wants you to pay you either have to sign or he has to take you to court, which would be wildly impractical. If you refuse to pay, he can wait and watch for you to slip up to fire you if he so desires - There's nothing protecting you from that.

I have seen the proof. Bullshit thing is that the Police give you 4 times for false alarms to occur before giving any citation. And 3 of them nobody came in the store, which makes no sense...... anyways I hope things work out well, plus I plan on finding a new job anyways here soon.... I work at Iceberg Drive Inn.

i would also fire you, however a fine is probably a whole lot more convenient than loss of job. Expect the worst, hope for the best!

the real deal here is though, Utah is an at-will state, meaning they can fire you at-will. So if they fined you, and legally they couldn't and you fought, they would just fire you and be done with it. 

Utah is an at-will state, meaning they can fire you at-will. So if they fined you, and legally they couldn't and you fought, they would just fire you and be done with it. 

What state isn't at-will employment these days? It doesn't matter that they can fire for any reason or no reason because employees can still file for unemployment which the company has to pay and their insurance rates will go up. That being said... leaving the place unlocked is a pretty damn good reason to fire someone.