Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChosenOne2000

sG Resume/CV Class

I would attend c12k's seminar but being over in Korea, I cannot connect to teamspeak. It'd be cool if someone do me a solid and jot some notes down. IN regards to the resume, I have one that is generated from Linkedin and one they had me do for my getting out the service class. Want both? Obviously going to be pretty bad (imo) since the class was super rushed.

I mean, I guess... Wasn't looking to teach like c12k, just help polish. Send it over if you want, I'll get it back to you in a couple of days.

I have submitted my same basic resume 7 times total and received a job offer every time (i dont count head hunters, placement firms or contract/to hire jobs). If you're looking for gov jobs (usajobs.gov) it's a word search you wont use a real resume, they use a gay system before a person ever reads it and if keyword x is needed and x isn't on there a real person never sees it.

Most of you won't ever use a CV unless you're going in to a teaching/medical field, but pay attention to the resume tips (and the differences). I actually pulled my first resume from linkedin and then tweaked it. I've never used a cover letter because my resume sells itself but if you're not competetive in your resume, you should probably write a cover letter telling the place WHY you should be considered. In the technical field many managers (not recruiting firms) are placing attitude above aptitude, meaning they want to know you can learn it, not that you know it. This is for 2 reasons, 1) they'll abuse the shit out of you and make you do 2 ppl's work and 2) they want to teach you THEIR way not have you try to use YOUR way.

If you have a security clearance, LIST IT, many times you can get a sign on bonus. My current company needed someone with a "public trust clearance" for a client, my security clearance got me a reciprocal top level public trust and we gained a 7million dollar client. It netted me a 10k bonus (after the first year)

My resume is 2 pages; yours should also be IF you meet the below

(Source: http://career-advice.monster.com/resumes-cover-letters/resume-writing-tips/how-to-decide-on-resume-length/article.aspx)

Consider a Two-Page Resume If:

• You have 10 or more years of experience related to your goal. 
  • Your field requires technical or engineering skills, and you need space to list and prove your technical knowledge.

Where would you list the security clearance in linkedin? Under skills & endorsement? I wonder how hard it is to apply on usajobs. 

I mean, I guess... Wasn't looking to teach like c12k, just help polish. Send it over if you want, I'll get it back to you in a couple of days.

It's always good to have others take a look. I'm just waiting to get back on my work email and hopefully received an email from chosen to send it over as well. Thank you, I will send it over once I get the chance.  :)

Where would you list the security clearance in linkedin? Under skills & endorsement? I wonder how hard it is to apply on usajobs. 

On LinkedIn it would be listed in the summary section; preferably in bullet format ABOVE experience. 

8f738abfa1.jpg

Again, I can't stress this enough. EVERYONE needs to have a LinkedIn account registered AND have the ability to log in without issues PRIOR to the lecture.

On LinkedIn it would be listed in the summary section; preferably in bullet format ABOVE experience. 

8f738abfa1.jpg

Again, I can't stress this enough. EVERYONE needs to have a LinkedIn account registered AND have the ability to log in without issues PRIOR to the lecture.

So that's what the summary is. I don't think I can explain what I do :( I'll add the security clearance part though. Thanks!

It would be nice is the lecture was recorded. Being on a Saturday I have plans but I think this is a great idea and wouldn't want to miss anything.

Aka yo let me copy your notes. I missed class

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So that's what the summary is. I don't think I can explain what I do :( I'll add the security clearance part though. Thanks!

The bullets are QUICK highlights that provide the reader just enough info to decide if they want to read more.

@chosen, i'll try to be avail, if i am, just do this on webex. 1) most countries allow webex connections 2) we can record 3) it's much better for "teaching" 

@chosen, i'll try to be avail, if i am, just do this on webex. 1) most countries allow webex connections 2) we can record 3) it's much better for "teaching"

Ok. You'll have to walk me though it.

Can you discuss good ways to send companies your resume. My favorite is to send a balloon arrangement with your resume inside and a bunch of confetti. Then get it hand delivered and make sure to write "pop me" on the balloon. They will pop it and confetti will shower them and then you have your resume delivered in a festive manner that will take notice.

Can you discuss good ways to send companies your resume. My favorite is to send a balloon arrangement with your resume inside and a bunch of confetti. Then get it hand delivered and make sure to write "pop me" on the balloon. They will pop it and confetti will shower them and then you have your resume delivered in a festive manner that will take notice.

Please no...

This is 2015. Unless there is a job announcement or someone specifically told you to send them a resume, unsolicited resumes go straight to the trash. There may be an open announcement, meaning they will keep accepting applications until they fill their quota, but its still an "announcement." Also the majority of applications are submitted online, to include your resume (no confetti).

Please no...

This is 2015. Unless there is a job announcement or someone specifically told you to send them a resume, unsolicited resumes go straight to the trash. There may be an open announcement, meaning they will keep accepting applications until they fill their quota, but its still an "announcement." Also the majority of applications are submitted online, to include your resume (no confetti).

How are you going to throw a balloon in the trash? You would have to flip the garbage can upside down! Or you could pop the balloon to throw it out and then SURPRISE my resume.

lol, but seriously. that was a complete joke so don't do that. Only jobs in "creative" industries might appreciate it and like c12k don't fucking do that shit if there is no open position announced.

I don't think he will talk about tricks of sending resumes. Years ago one trick for a known position was to physically send/mail a resume in because of the issue I said with computer scanning resumes for keywords. Also, it was something physical a person had to hold and look at. Now-a-days though I think it would just piss people off because they rather do everything digitally. Maybe Chosen or Junzou could chime in if that is still "a thing" to send resumes in and if it actually matters. I think it would be a big no-no these days.

One useful tip I will say and this is after you have a good resume and landed yourself an interview... PRINT your resume. Have several copies. At least 3. You want one for yourself to reference. One to offer the interviewer but they probably already have it printed out(but have one in case). Then you want another one because sometimes the interviewer will pull another employee in talk to you and that person usually doesn't have your resume printed out. The jobs I was interviewing for there was multiple of those other people so I always had at least 5 printed out... even that wasn't enough one time! Maybe it doesn't happen for entry-level jobs but most "tech" jobs these days the interviews are multi-hour/multi-person long ass interviews.

If anyone wants me to review their resume and discuss pros and cons etc I'll send it to my gf because she's a nerd and reads resumes for fun.

I'm a fresh college engineering graduate and just landed a job two months ago and have a good sense of what employers look for in today's generation of fresh yuppies.

Also I didn't really read over this thread and just wanted to point out that C2K's resume is absolutely insane and is one of those instances where two pages is good. As for the rest of us, one page MAXIMUM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're using Webex for the class. Here is the link:

https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=M4RXZB849BZXLHCF971UTUDNR2-4O2&rnd=598891.71750

Password: c12k

I'll be on TS AND webex first few minutes, then I might go strictly webex. I "should" have the ability to record the session and I'll have files uploaded as well. Theoretically people have the ability to dial in for an audio connection at +1-415-655-0001