Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Knox

new build need suggestions

hi i'm building a new compy cuz current is dying 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TpkrBm

that's the build

i need case recommendations

i just have the r5 as a placeholder because i know it's not the worst but i am looking for some insight in to other people's opinions on them

like follow and subscribe thanks in advance

Corsair Air 540 if you can find it on sale.

Also, save yourself the cash and just get an i5-4670k. You lose hyperthreading, which only helps in applications you probably won't be using, and you can use the money you saved for an AIO liquid loop for the CPU instead of a hyper 212 (depending on what the i5 goes for now, that's probably H80 money).

I also use the Corsair C70. Case has a ton of loops and holes for cabling and zipties.

My only complaint is the side panel has holes for fan mounts which are in an awful position so if you do get the case throw down like 20$ for a clear panel with no fan mounts made specifically for the case. Here

Why get a Z87 when your cpu isn't unlocked? You can a cheaper asus mobo that doesn't support overclocking since your cpu doesn't either.

Corsair Air 540 if you can find it on sale.

Also, save yourself the cash and just get an i5-4670k. You lose hyperthreading, which only helps in applications you probably won't be using, and you can use the money you saved for an AIO liquid loop for the CPU instead of a hyper 212 (depending on what the i5 goes for now, that's probably H80 money).

DirectX12 bb

AIO liquid loop for the CPU instead of a hyper 212 (depending on what the i5 goes for now, that's probably H80 money).

I wouldn't suggest an AIO unless it's an h100. The hyper 212 is usually more than enough unless you are overclocking. Also the h80 is louder, more expensive and only offers around a 5-8 diffrence at load.

case choices:Depends on what you plan on doing/wanting from the case. I suggest a larger case, possibly an R5 XL or another full tower  if you want more room to work with incase of water cooling/ air flow. 

Suggest grabbing this Memory instead, 8GB more for ~30$ more. You can easily find better timings if you care to, but your link didn't show timings. 8GB is plenty, but 16 let's you literally not give a shit.

For the Hard Drives, either wait for a good deal or snag up one of these I just found.

IF you have a microcenter near you, http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=622456 Go pick that up as a cheaper alternative for your Hard drive. 8$ cheaper for same size. OR

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8988937&Sku=WED-102408282If you want to do some MIR's and snag up two 750 Gigs for 30$ each

For the SSD: You can normally get the 850 EVO both 128 and 256 GB sizes on sale regularly. The 256 has been down to 94$ I believe. So if you want a bit more bang for your buck, you could wait for that sale to go up again.

I wouldn't suggest an AIO unless it's an h100. The hyper 212 is usually more than enough unless you are overclocking. Also the h80 is louder, more expensive and only offers around a 5-8 diffrence at load.

So I suggest an H110 if he goes with an Air 540. Corsair loop, corsair case, fits perfectly on top in a push/pull

bumping this for all to see

updated part picker link w/ consideration to some of you boys 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ByHGgs

the c70 looked massive and looked nice

so did the air 540

did some research and ended up with the enthoo pro because it is what i was looking for in the end

might upgrade to water cooling system later on, not really top priority for me. i'm sure you'll tell me it's amazing and there's no reason to not upgrade blah blah whatever

@spell i already have these 2x4 ram sticks i got for free, I just had them in there as a placeholder

@destin urite but the motherboard i have listed now I'm getting rly cheap from a pal

@mofl same thing above

really i'm getting amazing deals on the majority of these parts but just wanted case suggestions, figured I might as well log it 

any other thoughts are fine i'm buying everything soon™