Sign in to follow this  
Junior Bacon Cheeseburger

TTT Rebirth Suggestions

As many of you may or may not have noticed, since the advent of the Vanilla server, the population in Rebirth has flagged significantly.  As this server holds 95% of my TTT gameplay hours, I would like to figure out how to reverse this trend.  This thread is not meant to beat up on those individuals who have put so much hard work into the server (thanks guys!), but I think some changes need to be made if the server is to become as active as it used to be.  The following are a list of suggestions that I personally think should be taken into consideration, or at least be used to start a constructive dialogue.

• Get rid of the end round music.  It was fun when it was first added, but now it serves to clutter the game with what amounts to be music spam.  The command to disable it is ridiculous, and showing new players how to disable it is distracting as well.
  • Add more (yes, even more) T weapons and Detective equipment (one reason I believe people take an interest in other servers over rebirth is the sheer volume of equipment choices players have).
  • Fix the issue where flying bodies will crash the server (to remove that "body was frozen to prevent the server from crashing" thing).  There's got to be another way to resolve it than freezing bodies.  The fact that bodies don't fly around after a C4 has gone off gives a sort of broken feel to the server.

When you reply to this thread, be critical, but most importantly, be constructive!  Talk about what you love, what you hate, what you think needs work, map suggestions, etc.

How is the command to disable round end ridiculous? Have you not played in awhile? It was changed to a new system and it is now in the F1 menu. You don't need to type the old command in chat and in fact it won't work anymore. It is in F1

There is a problem with adding more weapons and that is downloads. You have to be careful of download sizes as we have learned players don't like to wait at a loading screen. This is evident when the server switches to a bigger map download and all of a sudden the population drops off. If you ignore the fact that many players don't have CS:S another reason the minecraft maps work so well is they have repeating textures and simple structures which lowers their download size. 

We can try removing the body freeze and see if we still get crashes. I actually up'ed the values and have noticed bodies flying from c4 sometimes. The server crash caused by entities moving too fast was supposed to have been fixed. However, there was mixed reports of it was still a problem or not. I guess we can try and find out but it just sucks cause a crash kills server population. 

Thanks for the response.

• I didn't notice the end round music toggle got moved to the F1 menu.  That's awesome.

• You make a good point with the weapon download sizes.  The way I see it since the server is already kind of dead (it's not like there's a population to kill at present) this time should be used to experiment and see which weapons could be added whose in-game fun value would be worth an extra few seconds of download.  I'll start looking around the workshop for compelling cases.

• The fact the server doesn't seem to crash as much with the current settings sounds promising.  Keep tinkering around with it! :)

What is it about Serious TTT that brings people to their server but not sG? When rebirth is at close to capacity, it's the best damn TTT server in the country. But that's not bringing people in. What do you guys think about a points system that allows people to buy traitor or buy detective? I know we currently have a player model store but it's broken as far as I'm concerned.

I'm still relatively new to the whole TTT scene and I came in after both were out, so take my opinion for what it is.

All you really have to do is look at why people like vanilla more. I think it may be due any of the following reasons:

Fewer maps to learn

Fewer choices in weapons so less confusing

Lack of downloading

I'm guessing people like less options. But maybe someone more vetted in TTT would have more insight.

Personally I like rebirth more because it isn't crowded and the means less autism. Also a lot less no-balls it seems.

I think vanilla is popular because it appeals to a certain demographic. The older, more experienced players don't tend to play vanilla servers (although I still play because I'm an admin and feel obligated to help the community that I strongly enjoy).

What is it about Serious TTT that brings people to their server but not sG? When rebirth is at close to capacity, it's the best damn TTT server in the country. But that's not bringing people in. What do you guys think about a points system that allows people to buy traitor or buy detective? I know we currently have a player model store but it's broken as far as I'm concerned.

I was trying to figure this out as well.  Part of it (which i put in the OP) I think has to do with the increased number of equipment available in the T/D stores.  I also noticed they have a "regular" "admin" etc. tag next to people's names in the chat to make staff and regulars easy to identify.  For the "regular"s, it's basically a reward for the amount of time they've spent on the server.  Maybe something could be set up where after a player crosses an arbitrary # of hours of playtime, their tag will get updated to "regular".  Maybe different labels for different playtimes (or amount of points accrued over time)?  Newbie, Regular, Advanced, Pro, Expert, Master...?  I'd be happy to come up with more Jihad sounds for the shop.  I've been editing audio for many years.

I'm still relatively new to the whole TTT scene and I came in after both were out, so take my opinion for what it is.

All you really have to do is look at why people like vanilla more. I think it may be due any of the following reasons:

Fewer maps to learn

Fewer choices in weapons so less confusing

Lack of downloading

I'm guessing people like less options. But maybe someone more vetted in TTT would have more insight.

Personally I like rebirth more because it isn't crowded and the means less autism. Also a lot less no-balls it seems.

I think the main draw for Vanilla over Rebirth at this moment in time (at least for me) is the population.  When I join a server, I don't want to spend an unknown amount of time just trying to get people to join and play with.  Vanilla, for all its shortcomings, has a near constant population.  That is the reason I join Vanilla when I do, because I can jump right in and start playing.

Kids (and some manchildren  :P) love Minecraft.  It's no surprise that I see WAY more kids in Vanilla than I ever did in Rebirth.  Honestly if I'm going to be playing on a TTT server for a few hours, an extra 2 or 3 minutes of downloading extra items and stuff won't phase me at all.  There are lots of servers that are almost always completely packed full of people yet still have >5min download times for the assets.  A long initial download time may alienate some newer users, but those who stick around while the downloads are going will be rewarded with a rich experience.

Edited by Junior Bacon Cheeseburger

There's no point of editing the server crashing script, its there for a reason every server has some version of it because gmod is broken until it is fixed it has to stay there. It's on vanilla too but it hardly every occurs with default vanilla unless someone is like right under a c4.

• You make a good point with the weapon download sizes.  The way I see it since the server is already kind of dead (it's not like there's a population to kill at present) this time should be used to experiment and see which weapons could be added whose in-game fun value would be worth an extra few seconds of download.  I'll start looking around the workshop for compelling cases.

Main reason the server died the first time was because it took a ridiculous amount of time to download all bloated crap we put on the server and all the regulars who kept it populated decided to take a break at the same time, no one wants to join a dead server that takes 5 minutes to download stuff

And TTT had already died and had been pretty much completely dead for 6 months when I started Vanilla in like may/june last year so I know for a fact that didn't cause any players to lose interest.

The server started completely out of luck because I noticed at the time there was 2 or 3 other vanilla servers that had popped up in the months before that seemed to do great so I decided to take a stab at it since our server was already dead.

• Get rid of the end round music.  It was fun when it was first added, but now it serves to clutter the game with what amounts to be music spam.  The command to disable it is ridiculous, and showing new players how to disable it is distracting as well.
  • Add more (yes, even more) T weapons and Detective equipment (one reason I believe people take an interest in other servers over rebirth is the sheer volume of equipment choices players have).
  • Fix the issue where flying bodies will crash the server (to remove that "body was frozen to prevent the server from crashing" thing).  There's got to be another way to resolve it than freezing bodies.  The fact that bodies don't fly around after a C4 has gone off gives a sort of broken feel to the server.

How is the command to disable round end ridiculous? Have you not played in awhile? It was changed to a new system and it is now in the F1 menu. You don't need to type the old command in chat and in fact it won't work anymore. It is in F1

There is a problem with adding more weapons and that is downloads. You have to be careful of download sizes as we have learned players don't like to wait at a loading screen. This is evident when the server switches to a bigger map download and all of a sudden the population drops off. If you ignore the fact that many players don't have CS:S another reason the minecraft maps work so well is they have repeating textures and simple structures which lowers their download size. 

We can try removing the body freeze and see if we still get crashes. I actually up'ed the values and have noticed bodies flying from c4 sometimes. The server crash caused by entities moving too fast was supposed to have been fixed. However, there was mixed reports of it was still a problem or not. I guess we can try and find out but it just sucks cause a crash kills server population. 

Ok so here are my thoughts on this. For starters i disagree with the round end music being annoying/spam this is a custom feature that is pretty unique to sG TTT from what ive heard new players for the most part like it and for regulars* that don't like it it can be turned off easily. On to the topic of custom content, this is as far as I know a pretty tricky subject. A large part of this is the fact the Garry breaks absolutely fucking everything. Like the "Maybe it was poison" button on clue doesn't even work anymore. Also as Centran/Zach have addressed the volume of stuff you have to download discourages many people from playing. However I think that there is room for a compromise here, content that is already on the server could be modified. An example of this working well would be the Newton Bomb/Silent Sniper/Shield not having custom models and the Newton launcher just being buffed from Vanilla. 

For me personally a large part of what kept me coming back to the server was the player base and not necessarily the custom content. Often times in the past when custom content has been added it was either abused or people bitched and moaned constantly about it i.e. The Emss and the double barrel. 

I think that perhaps the best way to repopulate the server would be maybe a few optimization tweaks, but on a larger part it would come down to a dedicated  group of players regularly populating the server until a strong enough player base of regulars forms. 

PS I had no idea that you could disable the end round in the F1 menu.

Edited by Gerald

There's no point of editing the server crashing script, its there for a reason every server has some version of it because gmod is broken until it is fixed it has to stay there. It's on vanilla too but it hardly every occurs with default vanilla unless someone is like right under a c4.

We had some safe to modest settings and we didn't change them when we moved to better servers. I upped them awhile ago so now unless you are right on to if the c4 it should throw the ragdoll.

This was actually supposed to be fixed but what people have reported is it did not completely fixed it. This is also why I upped it as the general speed and ragdolls bugging out and flying around the map that was causing crashes seems to be fixed. However if a ragdoll is traveling too fast and collides with a wall it can make it partially through the wall until the next "tick" which discovers it clipped and then the server freaks out and crashes. That problem hasn't been fixed and is why the code is still needed.

Yeah I forgot to mention that CSS which really is one of the bigger issues. Once CSGO became popular the server died a couple of months later because no new users are buying CSS anymore.

Yeah I forgot to mention that CSS which really is one of the bigger issues. Once CSGO became popular the server died a couple of months later because no new users are buying CSS anymore.

You can download css sprites for free on the internet. All you gotta do is your research. Thats what I did.

You can download css sprites for free on the internet. All you gotta do is your research. Thats what I did.

Just buy CS:S, it still is the best for modding because CS:GO decided it wanted to be competitive. Its mostly because of bhop...god i miss bhopping

It doesn't even matter how you get the CSS files, the problem is people don't want to download extra stuff to join a server when they could just join another server.

The reason TTT custom was popular before was all the old players already had CSS so it wasn't an issue. With CSS basically dead now so is our server.

Just make Vanilla better, stop this 4 map rotation bullshit. Re-do original TTT maps in Minecraft version, would be original and unique.

EDIT: Get me Minecraft textures in a .vtf format and Ill make them myself.

In the process of making my own/trying to recreate maps from old TTT. Give me some time babes and I'll do this.

Edited by SpecialBrownies

Any good guides to making your own minecraft TTT map? I would love to help out but I don't know shit about coding.

Any good guides to making your own minecraft TTT map? I would love to help out but I don't know shit about coding.

I'm guessing there aren't any guides specific to TTT Minecraft maps, but you could either talk to Private Pyle, ZachPL, kano don (although I heard he went MIA), or look up guides for minecraft maps and TTT maps respectively.  One thing that i've noticed is that you need to add invisible ramps between the edges of stepped blocks on the ground to prevent the player from having to jump for every step.

Edited by Junior Bacon Cheeseburger

Kano is still around just not on TTT. He gets on CS:GO every once and awhile and few other games that I can't think of.

Not sure if this topic is still entirely open to suggestions but I'd like the Cerebral Bore as a T weapon. For those who don't know: it's a weapon that shoots a projectile that tracks its target and then latches onto their head. After locking onto their head, it drills into their skull and then explodes from the inside. 

Plus if we want to get more population on Rebirth, some of the regulars and admins could just always camp out on that server instead of Vanilla. People will join as long as others do first. 

Not sure if this topic is still entirely open to suggestions but I'd like the Cerebral Bore as a T weapon. For those who don't know: it's a weapon that shoots a projectile that tracks its target and then latches onto their head. After locking onto their head, it drills into their skull and then explodes from the inside. 

So basically a rifle or a deagle with tracer bullets that does the aiming for you? Maybe if you got one bullet and it killed other innos if they are close enough to the target when the head explodes.

So basically a rifle or a deagle with tracer bullets that does the aiming for you? Maybe if you got one bullet and it killed other innos if they are close enough to the target when the head explodes.

Nah, rocket launcher model. One maybe two shots. Damage those near you but not necessarily kill them.