Sign in to follow this  
HCMikey

Map ideas to improve the server

I've been saying like 2 years ago, to just about every single engi and staff member, that we need to either incentivize playing different maps or increase the map limit so that you can't play the same map every 2 maps.

Some ideas I was thinking of were:

• play consecutively 6 different maps and for the 7th map, all cash gained will now be doubled( includes kills, defuses, even the money admins give out)
  • Map of the day: increase in either cash flow, reduce the shopmenu item prices on that map by 50%, maybe some double xp on the map of the day.

Do you guys like this or no? What problems do you see in something like this? I'm interested to see what you guys think. I personally believe if something like this were implemented on the server, map diversity and general server quality would go up.

I've been saying like 2 years ago, to just about every single engi and staff member, that we need to either incentivize playing different maps or increase the map limit so that you can't play the same map every 2 maps.

• play consecutively 6 different maps and for the 7th map, all cash gained will now be doubled( includes kills, defuses, even the money admins give out)
  • Map of the day: increase in either cash flow, reduce the shopmenu item prices on that map by 50%, maybe some double xp on the map of the day.

Do you guys like this or no? What problems do you see in something like this? I'm interested to see what you guys think. I personally believe if something like this were implemented on the server, map diversity and general server quality would go up.

Remove the maps that always get RTV'd and then we have something I can get behind

I didn't even know we had apachi on the server

It's so t sided it's not even funny :P Ts can just rush b smoke of the ct side entry point and plant the bomb :/

The problem is that people like to play the maps you know and leave if they don't recognize the map. If you force people to avoid maps they like, they won't play.

That said, having another map each day that gives some bonus like 50% extra xp would balance the maps people love with playing something new. I like that idea.

Yea, I never understood why is it that we took crack house out but not deadwood or himeji and all that other shit.

or apache B rush map :<

Disabled all three of those. Anything else?

Taking a look at the popular maplist, I recognize at least 30 maps that are pretty popular. The top 9 maps played however, have more playtime together than the rest of the maps combined (mabey we should tax them more).

Possible suggestion would be to increase the duration that maps are considered "recently played". This would in effect force people to play less commonly played maps, which leads to them finding another map they prefer to play. Players that prefer a map will spend more time on it, get better by spending more time on it, and incidentally, add that map to the "commonly played" map rotation.

The con is that by increasing the duration slightly longer would make the people unwilling to learn new maps not want to play because all of their "good" maps are gone. Of course with every change, there will always be propponents and opponents and imo this suggestion hits the extremities of the opponents: a point could be made that while some maps are uncommon, that doesn't mean that they are unfun to play. Purely anecdotal but hangemlow, Losttemple, and vegas are all very fun maps that more often than not hit all 20 rounds played -- they're ranked 33,39, and 43 respectively.

Edit: We joke about the motd but honestly it's a huge wall of text that no new players want to read. A tldr paragraph should be made at the top in big bold letters imo.

Edited by Rootbeer Koolaid

That said, having another map each day that gives some bonus like 50% extra xp would balance the maps people love with playing something new. I like that idea.

EXTRA XP ON LESS PLAYED MAPS YAAAAAAAAAAAA

Didn't we have this on the old WCS server? It was like the less often a map was played, the higher an XP multiplier or something...

Bonus points, we could put the current XP multiplier for each map in the map vote.

So you're saying something like:

1. de_dust 2 (+0% xp)

2. de_nightfever (+50% xp)

3. de_atom (+100% xp)

4. cs_office (+0% xp)

5. training_grounds (+1000% xp)

So you're saying something like:

1. de_dust 2 (+0% xp)

2. de_nightfever (+50% xp)

3. de_atom (+100% xp)

4. cs_office (+0% xp)

5. training_grounds (+1000% xp)

I don't even level and I like these ideas

So can we get this implemented pronto? Or is it hard to do? I'm down for names idea.

It's not hard but it's probably a few days of work. There's no easy way to get map times from gameme, so this will need a new database table and we'll probably have to write a script to insert existing times into the database. Then we'll have to modify the vanilla sourcemod map vote plugin to show bonus xp in the nominate and vote menus. The actual bonus xp, amusingly, will be the easiest part.

I wouldn't expect anything until after the event, but you never know when free time pops up unexpectedly.