Sign in to follow this  
Name

Looking for community opinions on War3

War3 Opinions  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How many levels should an ideal race have?

• 0, let's make a bunch of defaults and I am a faggot
    • 20 or less
    • 20-30
    • 30-40
    • 40-60
    • 60-100
    • Variety - Some low some high
  2. 2. How do you feel about value points, that is, the first point in a skill gives much larger bonuses than the rest

• I like it
    • I hate it
    • I'm a filthy flipflopper with no opinions on anything
  3. 3. Knife races?

• Great addition
    • Okay occasionally but not preferred
    • Counter strike isn't a fighting game
  4. 4. How do you feel about the level requirements of races on the server in general

• Too spread out - Need more closer together
    • Just right
    • Too close together, need to make it more work to unlock new races

Planning a complete overhaul or something Name?

Just a bit of a curiosity survey. No sweeping changes are going to be made based on this, I just want community opinions.

I wouldn't have included the joke poll questions if you wanted the communities honest opinions because I really am a dirty flipflopper who can't stick to one opinion. 

That value point idea sounds interesting but how would it work for things like respawning skills or plus attack damage skills? On top of balancing the race, you would have to balance the actual distribution of skills. Isn't that a little too much work?

Edited by HornyCat

20-30 seemed to be the sweet spot for races but 40-80 is where the OP shit happens.

Knife races are cool and sometimes pretty well balanced, but I don't play them because lazy.

The races are clumped together but I think it's okay. It gives a lot of choice on what the player wants to play and thats great for people getting into the game. If you were restricted to say, flame pred for 30 levels you'd probably quit.

How do you feel about the level requirements of races on the server in general?

SOME OF THEM ARE TOO FUCKIN HIGH

also:

Knife races?

Great addition (9 votes [45.00%]) Fuck all of these people

Edited by Destin

also:

Knife races?

1st point: I 100% agree

2nd point: fukn fite me m8

Edited by B-cock #LAST

also:

Knife races?

were you not the one that asked me for savage?

were you not the one that asked me for savage?

I picked not preferred. It's not that I don't hate them it just that I don't like them either. But uhhh I never played WCS so I think it might've been bink but we talked about it a lot

20-30 seemed to be the sweet spot for races but 40-80 is where the OP shit happens.

Knife races are cool and sometimes pretty well balanced, but I don't play them because lazy.

The races are clumped together but I think it's okay. It gives a lot of choice on what the player wants to play and thats great for people getting into the game. If you were restricted to say, flame pred for 30 levels you'd probably quit.

If you remember Zeratul, you know that's not true.

The server needs a version of infected that has 350 hp, runs really fast, has extremely rapid regen (80 per second), no extra dmg or anything, and when the ultimate is activated you get 5 seconds of longjump.

Make it happen

Something like this? I mean, I can create a race concept at the drop of the hat but I have very little say towards what the ENG's make.

[K]The Rotten

Skill 1: Undead Dominon

Description: Only an great evil would create something this monstrous. Gain high health regen.

Skill 2: Decay

Description: You are a pile of rotten flesh that has no sense of pain. Gain high cap health.

Skill 3: Scamper of the Dead

Description: Long as there is flesh on them they will make you move. Gain movement speed.

Skill 4: The Stink

Description: Every living creature around you begins to feel ill. AoE Slow or Posion.

Ultimate: Great Leap

Description: Lead onto your prey and eat them vigorously.

Edited by BLiNDBoi

I'd like to see less level gapping between the 2000 + races.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. My new races have been being put at points to close the gaps past 2000 to 100 level gaps. From there, I'll either put in 50s or go over 3k depending on how people feel about it

I wouldn't have included the joke poll questions if you wanted the communities honest opinions because I really am a dirty flipflopper who can't stick to one opinion. 

That value point idea sounds interesting but how would it work for things like respawning skills or plus attack damage skills? On top of balancing the race, you would have to balance the actual distribution of skills. Isn't that a little too much work?

Value point on respawning would be something along the lines of this made up skill:

Flames of the Phoenix (6 Levels) - You invoke the power of the phoenix, giving you a chance to rise from the ashes on death. Grants a (50/60/70/80/90/100)% respawn chance.

The first point gives 50% chance to respawn, while later points only grant 10%. This motivates the player to put one point into the skill early before maxing any other more desirable skills.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. My new races have been being put at points to close the gaps past 2000 to 100 level gaps. From there, I'll either put in 50s or go over 3k depending on how people feel about it

Value point on respawning would be something along the lines of this made up skill:

Flames of the Phoenix (6 Levels) - You invoke the power of the phoenix, giving you a chance to rise from the ashes on death. Grants a (50/60/70/80/90/100)% respawn chance.

The first point gives 50% chance to respawn, while later points only grant 10%. This motivates the player to put one point into the skill early before maxing any other more desirable skills.

I've incorporated this value idea to a certain extent into most of my races. Thought everyone did the same :S 

Example, Hand of God evasion at level one gives an enormous amount, over 50%, and then gives like 3-5% per level.

As far as the level spread goes, I love the way it is now. I like there to be a lot of races close together in the earlier levels, and then as you continue to get into the higher levels they become more spread out so that you have to work for it a little more. That way the people who play the server all the time will always have something to work towards, and the people who don't play as much are still able to unlock a lot of races and not get stuck playing the same old things all the time. That's just me though.

As far as knife races, I think they are great to have on the server because they can be fun, the only issue with knife races is being able to balance them with the rest of the races. A knife race should be able to hold it's own, but not be so strong that it needs a really hard counter to it (I.E. Altana). On quite a few Warcraft mod servers I have seen it happen where person A hates knife races and begs for a counter race to be made, then when it is person B gets wrecked and begs for a stronger knife race so he doesn't get countered so hard, then when person A can't counter as well he begs for a better counter, then person B begs for a way to counter that, and so on and so forth. I don't think people who don't like the knife counter races should ever feel like they are forced to play a counter race because the knifer is too strong, and I don't think any knifer should be forced to play an op knife race or be forced to stop playing a knife race because the knife counter race is too strong.

As far as the value points giving great boosts to start and then just smaller boosts afterwards, I think it all depends on the race and the skills of the race. On my old WCS server if there was ever a race that had one or two central skills that it absolutely needed to be strong and be playable, then we would give those skills a major boost from the first point. For example, we had a race that was based completely around it's ability to leech life and all the other skills built off of that one, so the life leech skill got a major boost on the first point just so the race wasn't too weak to play from the start. But then for races that were just all around good, or didn't really rely on one or two specific skills to be good, they would just scale normally without having any major boosts on the first point.

For races max levels, I think anything below 20 can be a little too low because then it maxes super fast, but anything over 60 is pushing it because then that means the race is usually really weak at the start and it becomes a massive grind just to get it strong and to max it (unless of course you make it so the first value point gives a larger boost in which case it wouldn't make races at 60+ max level so bad).