Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fontaine

Trying to think of an audio switching solution

I'm not sure how viable something like this would be, but here is what I've been thinking.

So I have a pretty good pair of headphones, and currently am just using a soundcard/amp (Asus DGX) to power it. I mainly use my headphones for gaming, teamspeak, browsing, etc. But I also have S/PDIF optical out of my mobo to an old audio receiver we used to use for a home theater setup. I can use my video player and audio player to output directly to the receiver separately from my headphones if I wanted. Also plugged into that audio receiver is my PS4's audio and the cable box. So switching between the PS4, TV, and optical out from the PC isn't a problem. 

I decided to try and just output my analog audio from my soundcard to the receiver as well and just hook my headphones up as an output on the receiver but quickly ran into a problem: there is no way to simultaneously output one source to speakers with another source to my headphones, or mix two sources into my headphones at once (i.e. teamspeak on computer and ps4 audio).

I figure the only solution involves expensive mixing hardware, but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas or make-shift workarounds. 

Yeah maybe I'm just getting too ambitious lol. I'll probably just resort to plugging stuff in and out. I thought I was ingenious when I ran an output from my receiver to my line in on my desktop, then enabled playback through Windows. But lots of static :(