Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Velo

Velo's trucks

Hey guys. Figured I'd make a thread about what i'm currently working on.

First off is my 87' chevy suburban. I bought it from a co worker for $500 + a dead 6.0 LS3/LQ4 engine pulled from my silverado (which i'll tell you about in a minute). The suburban has little rust on it, most being in the front fender liners with minor surface rust in other places. The truck has a 350 small block in it paired with a 2004R 4 speed trans with lock up stall converter (you could call it a 5 speed auto I guess) I was able to drive the truck home on a blown head gasket. It ran great without missing a beat until it warmed up and the thermostat opened up, letting all of the water I just put in the radiator go into the combustion chamer (and the block) within 3 minutes of running. It smoked like a son of a bitch and ran like shit once I got a couple blocks from my house. Upon removing the intake manifold, I was surprised at how the engine wasn't locked up as it was full of rust, water and a fuck ton of yellow shit. Also cutting the exhaust tubing right before the catalytic converter yielded a fucking waterfall of coolant. The p/o had blown a head gasket a year prior. My plans would have consisted of pulling both heads and replacing the gaskets, but with all the rust, i'm going to shit can the engine and build something else to go in.. possibly another 350 bored 30 over (making it a 355) that's sitting in my driveway waiting for me to put new rings in. It has a mild cam, freshly machined 64cc heads with 2.06" intake valves. I had a set of high compression pistons I was going to swap in, but actually that's how I found out the engine i'm working on was bored over. The new pistons fell right in without even a ring compressor. Anyways back to the truck. The interior is blue in color and is completely untouched besides a mediocre dash cover job and a fucked up power window master switch on driver's door (all windows and rear tailgate window works :) ) NONE of the wiring has been hacked at all, besides the emissions system that I won't be able to retain with the new engine but that doesn't matter because it's getting historic tags (no inspection or emissions required in the state of MD) Still has the factory cassette player which is staying put, I have plans to add an aftermarket radio and mount it on the underside of the dash like a cb, but without modifying the wiring of the truck in any way. This can be done by getting a harness from a similar GM vehicle at the junk yard and modifying that. Everything electrical I do will be 100% reversible.

Pics:

10428182_1470627416509237_59563894822584

10547912_1480046512233994_38657519039657

Next is the 2004 chevy silverado 2500HD LS extended cab i picked up for $500 from my work. It had a blown 6.0 LQ4/LS3 when I bought it. It was so bad that you could grab the crank shaft pulley and move it up and down with your hand. It sounded like a washing machine when I could get it to run. 

The truck is fully loaded with all the bells and whistles except 4 wheel drive, heated seats and the driver selector on the door. Truck had tires and brakes replaced all around (courtesy of my work) right before it took a shit. The interior and exterior look surprisingly good for having 283,000 miles. Don't think anyone has sat in the back seats for at least 6 years. I got a hold of a 5.3 LM7/LS3 for dirt cheap to drop into the truck. Kind of going off the word of the previous owner of the engine who pulled it from his 06 tahoe in favor of a 6.0. He stated the engine ran great, had 160,000 miles but needed new oil pan gasket. So far, i've acquired a few parts for this engine such as misc gaskets and bolts. Going to try and drop this thing in the truck on the 23rd. I'm pretty happy about this because it's the first thing I have owned that's newer than the 80's.

1979465_1433108190261160_1372518322_n_zp

CAM00049_zps88b107dd.jpg

CAM00032_zps4bc15406.jpg

CAM00031_zpsd967e984.jpg

My plans are to (eventually) get a 4 inch lift kit, Install a brush bar kit I found in the body shop's trash (due to one dent in it, which is what they are for.. some pussy threw it out) Get a windshield visor with light kit, and eventually get a set of cooper stt off road tires for winter use (fucking meaty ass tires and they aren't expensive) 35_12_50_15_Cooper_008.jpg

64nxig.jpg

What I've done since engine install:

Bolt on brush guard, chrome hood rock guard and window vent shields, 10,000 pound capacity tow hitch assy. front bumper and plastic trims, better condition than original rear bumper.

By the way, I paid for none of this. I accumulated it over the last several months from the shop I work at's trash pile.

Brush guard has a dent I have to hammer out to clear DRL lens properly, chrome rock guard and shields had some kind of sticky stuff on them which came off with acetone and a rag, tow hitch I have no idea why it was in the trash, front bumper has minor bends and scratches on the edges that aren't really noticeable, rear bumper has one scratch and loose trim.

Things I'd like to do in the future:

Windshield visor with 5 orange marker lights built in, CB radio + antenna, maybe 4" lift, 33" cooper STT tires on spare set of wheels for winter or maybe even super swampers to compensate for no 4 wheel drive, dedicated cheapo android tablet to use as a HUD for the OBDII Bluetooth monitor.. a man can dream.

Also have new plastic bed rail covers for 2005+ Nissan frontier that won't fit my truck.. If anyone wants them, I got them for free so they are free. I can ship them for free. Let me know.

On a side note, I traded my 85 camaro in for an 85 monte carlo sport coupe yesterday.

Decided i'm not going to drop a 350 in the suburban. Going to try to drop in a 5.3L Gen III small block (the same engine I put in my white pickup, check above picture). Might even grab a 6.0L for the right price. Tons of these engines have shown up in local junk yards since my last post. The cost to do a complete swap is the same, or close to purchasing a new crate 350 to drop in. 3rd gen small blocks are more powerful, reliable and economical than first gen small blocks (old school 305, 327, 350 and 400CU engines). Stock 350 from mid 70's to early 90's produced about 190HP. Stock 5.3L produces about 290 HP. Can't wait to have a modern truck engine with no emissions BS. Spent down time at work reading this looooong article about newer small blocks: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/LSPrimer/Part1/

Just gotta find a place to put the damn thing since i'm moving in with gf's family next week (starting fresh with no bills other than rent/car insurance :) )