Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost X

Need help, think GPU broke

I was playing a game, temps were around 50°C = 122 degrees Fahrenheit, when suddenly there would appear like big pixels on my screen and it froze. Few seconds later my screen was black so i pressed the reset button. Now at boot before windows startup there are green horizontal lines.The windows logo shows up and i hear my HDD loading but after that my screen goes black and my pc restarts. Safe mode works but it says it doesn't have a restore point. GPU is a GTX 590, it's 2,5 years old and i've always taken good care of it.

Can anyone tell me what the problem could be? I fear for my GPU and was wondering if there is a solution.

Thanks

If the BIOS screen doesnt load or is corruupted, its probably a dead card. Try cleaning its contacts gently with a pen before buying a new GPU. You can also try using compressed air (which I recommend trying).

If the BIOS screens are corrupted it's probably a dead card, but before you get a new one, remove the current card and GENTLY clean its contacts with a pen, (not pencil).

I can read the bios screens but the green horizontal lines are there and in other screens there are blue parts instead of black ones

I can read the bios screens but the green horizontal lines are there and in other screens there are blue parts instead of black ones

You may have a bad card, I recommend trying to clean it first with compressed air before buying a new one.

Assuming this is a PC, you could try this as well:

Shut down the PC, disconnect from AC. Pull out the video cable from the back of your PC, then open the case. Pull out your video card, clean with compressed air, and reinstall it. Then, boot the PC with the case open and make sure the fan on your card is working. Next, if you can boot into safe mode with networking and reinstall or update your video card driver, that would help as well.

Assuming this is a PC, you could try this as well:

Shut down the PC, disconnect from AC. Pull out the video cable from the back of your PC, then open the case. Pull out your video card, clean with compressed air, and reinstall it. Then, boot the PC with the case open and make sure the fan on your card is working. Next, if you can boot into safe mode with networking and reinstall or update your video card driver, that would help as well.

Do you think drivers have anything to do with horizontal lines on screen before windows boots?

Do you think drivers have anything to do with horizontal lines on screen before windows boots?

Im not sure, but it could be. Also if you dont have updated drivers that could be bad for your GPU.

Im not sure, but it could be. Also if you dont have updated drivers that could be bad for your GPU.

it has either the latest or the one before since i got geforce experience

That doesnt sound like a driver issue.. I'd try what Arkham suggested first but your card may be failing. 

Is there an onboard video card that you could plug in to? It may help to eliminate the peripheral video card and ensure you don't have something else going on like a microcrack on your motherboard. 50*C ain't all that hot.

Is there an onboard video card that you could plug in to? It may help to eliminate the peripheral video card and ensure you don't have something else going on like a microcrack on your motherboard. 50*C ain't all that hot.

Do I have to remove my 590 for that? because my motherboard got a DVI  connection but i don't get any image on my monitor

Do I have to remove my 590 for that? because my motherboard got a DVI  connection but i don't get any image on my monitor

If you have an option in UEFI, which is called something like iGPU multiple monitor support, then enable that to enable the onboard graphics. Otherwise you should just be able to plug into the onboard graphics and everything should be good unless something else is wrong. Make sure your 590 is removed for the onboard graphics to work.

If you have an option in UEFI, which is called something like iGPU multiple monitor support, then enable that to enable the onboard graphics. Otherwise you should just be able to plug into the onboard graphics and everything should be good unless something else is wrong. Make sure your 590 is removed for the onboard graphics to work.

I enabled iGPU Multi-Monitor. What do I do now? put the DVI cable in the MoBo connection?

Yeah that's what you'll need to do. It should run without the driver, in low resolution and a little choppy on animation (e.g. browser scrolling) but what you're looking to see is if you get the other problems you were having. 

My personal thoughts is that your issue is software. What people have suggested is what I would do, so I got nothing new for you.

Either software or a problem with another compenent. I was thinking hard drive, but it's tough to say until you start ruling things out.

My personal thoughts is that your issue is software. What people have suggested is what I would do, so I got nothing new for you.

I don't think if it was software that the green lines would be in the bios at startup

no. No drivers are loaded that early. Probably a monitor problem. Try a different one and see what happens. If that fails, enter the bios and change primary video to onboard and try the onboard video card. It's definitely not software related prior to software loading.

Sent from my One S using Tapatalk

Haha, well have you tried using just the onboard video card yet? We're waiting to hear back on that.

No it's late here in Belgium, i'm gonna try it first thing tomorrow. Thank you everyone for the input and good night, I'll keep this update!

Update! Took out my GTX 590 and windows startup now which it didn't with the card, but most of all: the green lines are gone. Asus contacted me and said that this is called "artifacts". If you google GPU artifacts you will see the problems I had. They also mentioned I get a 3 year warranty on my gpu which is 2.5 years old so I'm quite happy.

It's working on HD3000 graphics now and everything works perfect (aside from the lower frame rate ofcourse)

I figured the card was dying when you mentioned artifacts, generally a sign of a card on its way out. If games were giving you weird colors as well its a sign

I figured the card was dying when you mentioned artifacts, generally a sign of a card on its way out. If games were giving you weird colors as well its a sign

The problem was that it happened once ingame and then i could never load into windows again untill i removed the broken card

Update! Took out my GTX 590 and windows startup now which it didn't with the card, but most of all: the green lines are gone. Asus contacted me and said that this is called "artifacts". If you google GPU artifacts you will see the problems I had. They also mentioned I get a 3 year warranty on my gpu which is 2.5 years old so I'm quite happy.

It's working on HD3000 graphics now and everything works perfect (aside from the lower frame rate ofcourse)

Glad I could help you fix this and get your gpu replaced.