Sign in to follow this  
Bob Ross Zombie

Remove campus (JB)

I ported this from CSS about a year ago when I was a complete beginner at using Hammer. I didn't realize it at the time, but looking back it was very poorly optimized to begin with and I didn't really do much to improve it really. I figured if the map never lagged back in CSS, then it shouldn't lag in GO.

I'll see what I can do to optimize the map for good this time after my exams end next week.

I ported this from CSS about a year ago when I was a complete beginner at using Hammer. I didn't realize it at the time, but looking back it was very poorly optimized to begin with and I didn't really do much to improve it really. I figured if the map never lagged back in CSS, then it shouldn't lag in GO.

I'll see what I can do to optimize the map for good this time after my exams end next week.

It was really poorly optimized and didn't perform great in CS:S either. Not your fault of course, like you said, but great to hear you will make another pass on it.

I can't even download it on a Mac

That probably has to do with the bug which won't let you download maps bigger than 64 MB from game servers, not you being on a Mac. It's been removed for now doe

Try to remove the moving zombie or the helicopter, and run it on the dev server. That might be doing it. As far as the map size issue, we can only hope the game devs will fix it.

A shit-ton of brushes (a helicopter) all moving can kill a map's performance.

Edited by Professional Velo

Try to remove the moving zombie or the helicopter, and run it on the dev server. That might be doing it. As far as the map size issue, we can only hope the game devs will fix it.

A shit-ton of brushes (a helicopter) all moving can kill a map's performance.

Don't know much about map design but I think 2 factors are the armory (Guns piled up) or the zombie

A lot of maps have guns piled up. The zombie or helicopter might be a factor because they are models, not brushes, and models do tend to create more strain, but two models do not create much lag. Other maps have the helicopter without being laggy.

No, the reason campus lags so much is that it's a huge open area with no area portals in which not much is func_detailed so the visleaves are probably split in horrifying ways.

If you actually want to know how maps can be optimized, read this guide.

A lot of maps have guns piled up. The zombie or helicopter might be a factor because they are models, not brushes, and models do tend to create more strain, but two models do not create much lag. Other maps have the helicopter without being laggy.

No, the reason campus lags so much is that it's a huge open area with no area portals in which not much is func_detailed so the visleaves are probably split in horrifying ways.

If you actually want to know how maps can be optimized, read this guide.

What does that mean?

Tried to do this but apparently the server needs to be off to change it

Well server being off for 5 seconds doesn't hurt. At lease, we got a laggy map off and made the server better.

Just add fog controller that cuts half of the map and like stops the rendering of half of the stuff

I dunno what it's called lul

Edited by xmen

God dammit, this map is still causing lag problems? Why didn't anyone mention this before?

Just add fog controller that cuts half of the map and like stops the rendering of half of the stuff

I dunno what it's called lul

I hate to say this, but it looks like I don't have any more options for this map besides using that and having the props fade away after you're a certain distance away from them. It was supposed to be my last resort because the map is heavily dependent on props and it's going to look very empty if they fade away once the player is a certain distance away from them.

Those wired fences are considered to be props too, so either I'll have it so that you won't be able to see them until you approach them or I substitute them with something else.