Sign in to follow this  
Mimic

sG Community Update

Yeah, we've done most of if not all of that in the past as well.  It's really just about getting the word out and having everyone try to join up in the servers so they can climb the rank boards again, which will increase the number of randoms we have join.  Another reason we lose people isn't necessarily because they don't know the IP addresses, it's because of the change in location of the datacenter.  When we moved from NY to TX (I think?) some of our European members didn't want to play any more because they had a higher ping.  

On a side note, I'm asking here publicly since I don't know and I'm sure other people will have similar questions--

1) Will this affect server ranks?

2)  Levels are transferable, but will they be transferred as well (Surf and WC3)

3) Will shop purchases/credits be transferred (ZE, MG)

And then to the community...

1) If we have the ability to save ranks, do you want them saved, or would you like to start fresh?  Also, crazy idea, how would you guys feel about WC3 *seasons* and having an award for being Rank 1 - X during a given season, and starting fresh with ranks every season?

2) While we intend to stay strong with CS:GO and Gmod, what are some other games you might want to see us branch back into?  Gmod DarkRP is a possibility, Minecraft will be making a comeback, though perhaps not a survival server.

3)  Would you like to see the return of community-funded raffles and giveaways again?  Would you be willing to participate in one?

4) How would you feel about having some sort of contest to get the servers populated again?  We might not be able to offer hard incentives (things where we would need to spend money), but admin, special titles, other perks might be within reason.  I noticed Vesper has been playing a lot recently on WC3, so maybe we could look at having a mapping contest again too.

It's kind of shitty we have to switch, but that doesn't mean we can't make the most out of it.

1 Everything should be left alone if ranks are perserved but we should persuade new comers who pop on after the ips are changed with some sort of exp/credit boost lasting for about 2 weeks. We could also do the same by seeing what the server peak times are and create a plugin that changes exp/credit multipliers during those times If. I hate Gameme's system I'd like it if we copied the layout from esea for stats and such. Forum accounts can be linked to steam ids already so a personal stat page on profiles and a leader board(k/d, clutches,assists, weapon specific) on the the portal.

2. From what I've seen expanding is tricky mostly because a good percentage of sG loses interest within the first week-month its up.

GO servers and ideas I'd suggest: Skill Surf and the seasonal tournaments

3. alot of streamers make knife raffles from the some of the funds collected from the raffle is put towards keys.

Either it'd work like 1 key $2.49 is 1 ticket or $1 is 1 ticket.

If we decided to do the youtube channel we could get a view base by covering updates, game mechanics and gliches then post videos explaining the servers we run and events we're doing.

Note: If I went over something someone already covered I haven't read the whole thread and this laptop is laggy as fuck.

Edited by Sakata

/>/>

1 Everything should be left alone if ranks are perserved but we should persuade new comers who pop on after the ips are changed with some sort of exp/credit boost lasting for about 2 weeks. We could also do the same by seeing what the server peak times are and create a plugin that changes exp/credit multipliers during those times If. I hate Gameme's system I'd like it if we copied the layout from esea for stats and such. Forum accounts can be linked to steam ids already so a personal stat page on profiles and a leader board(k/d, clutches,assists, weapon specific) on the the portal.

2. From what I've seen expanding is tricky mostly because a good percentage of sG loses interest within the first week-month its up.

GO servers and ideas I'd suggest: Skill Surf and the seasonal tournaments

3. alot of streamers make knife raffles from the some of the funds collected from the raffle is put towards keys.

Either it'd work like 1 key $2.49 is 1 ticket or $1 is 1 ticket.

If we decided to do the youtube channel we could get a view base by covering updates, game mechanics and gliches then post videos explaining the servers we run and events we're doing.

Note: If I went over something someone already covered I haven't read the whole thread and this laptop is laggy as fuck.

While I would really like a skill surf server I don't think we'd be able to get a populated one. Other servers pretty much have that player base locked down (OG has like 10 servers that are constantly full) and we'd be killing the surf population that we do already have. Also the streamers that make a lot off of raffles have a huge viewer base like m0etv and tweeday. Edited by BananaPeelz

Is there any way you can give us the new IP's a couple days in advance so we can spam it on the servers so everyone will know?

Edited by Velo

While I would really like a skill surf server I don't think we'd be able to get a populated one. Other servers pretty much have that player base locked down (OG has like 10 servers that are constantly full) and we'd be killing the surf population that we do already have. Also the streamers that make a lot off of raffles have a huge viewer base like m0etv and tweeday.

I see what you mean with OG being dominate, but their ranking system is disabled because their host shut their sql server down due to over use(since Christmas). Leaving their player base disappointed. We also have a store plugin where on their server most of their skins are only for paidmins.Skill surf and rpg surf DM may be similar but they are a very different. The population from surf dm would rage quit on stage one.

If that suggestion to your tastes then why not a csgo b-hop server there isn't a US B-hop server to my knoweldge most of them are in Europe(source b-hoppers wouldn't migrate they have no reason to). Maybe even a free for all death match server there is only one in the US with a player base which is always maxed out (16/16) and they don't run any custom maps and I would recommend nerfing paid admin on this server as well as Skill surf and/or bhop. The easiest to populate and set up out of all of these would be FFA DM.

Their raffles work off a goal system where people have to donate at most 200 dollars, while they have a larger user count we could do monthly raffles to compensate for that(buy knife off market for 100-150 dollars net 50+ dollars depending on the money donated at the end of the month.

First off, congratulations Skitt! Second, since every server has SG members on it throughout the day (I am assuming they all do) the SG staff could always just hop on their mics and let people know, I.E. on the War3 server maybe at the beginning and mid point, or mid point and end of each map just make an announcement about the IP change and do this as often as they can, I don't think players would get annoyed by it. Also since I am one of the War3 players that is on the forums I will keep checking for updates and making sure the other regulars that I am friends with on Steam know what is going on.

Also, just in case you weren't aware, the War3 server isn't working, you can join it but it won't let you pick a team, Auto-select doesn't work, the force team doesn't work, and you can't join spectate.

Edited by Serif The Sheriff

Also, just in case you weren't aware, the War3 server isn't working, you can join it but it won't let you pick a team, Auto-select doesn't work, the force team doesn't work, and you can't join spectate.

Restarted it, hopefully that helps.

/>

I see what you mean with OG being dominate, but their ranking system is disabled because their host shut their sql server down due to over use(since Christmas). Leaving their player base disappointed. We also have a store plugin where on their server most of their skins are only for paidmins.Skill surf and rpg surf DM may be similar but they are a very different. The population from surf dm would rage quit on stage one.

If that suggestion to your tastes then why not a csgo b-hop server there isn't a US B-hop server to my knoweldge most of them are in Europe(source b-hoppers wouldn't migrate they have no reason to). Maybe even a free for all death match server there is only one in the US with a player base which is always maxed out (16/16) and they don't run any custom maps and I would recommend nerfing paid admin on this server as well as Skill surf and/or bhop. The easiest to populate and set up out of all of these would be FFA DM.

Their raffles work off a goal system where people have to donate at most 200 dollars, while they have a larger user count we could do monthly raffles to compensate for that(buy knife off market for 100-150 dollars net 50+ dollars depending on the money donated at the end of the month.

I think bhop and dm would be cool ideas (dm would be much easier to set up and populate though). I like the idea of an sG skill surf server, it's just that market is filled right now so it would be much harder to populate (and we have a good surf RPG population that wouldnt make the switch to skill surf). Also if we did dm it would be nice if it had a relatively small player cap like 16 since all the huge ones with 40 people have awful reg. The thing with a raffle is I don't know how many people would actually participate on a monthly basis, so the buy in would have to be rather substantial for sG to raffle off a decent knife and still make a profit.

I don't know if the majority of you know this, but Valve just released a patch on Steam today that benefits us immensely on this ip change. A timely feature if you ask me.

• Added IP tracking to game server favorites. Favorites will automatically update to new server IP addresses if the game server is using a persistent account

I don't know if the majority of you know this, but Valve just released a patch on Steam today that benefits us immensely on this ip change. A timely feature if you ask me.

• Added IP tracking to game server favorites. Favorites will automatically update to new server IP addresses if the game server is using a persistent account

If this is true it is a fucking game changer.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It's true and we're truly lucky, we just don't know how it works

It is true; however, the only requirement is that it has to be a favorited server and not in your history, etc. Most of us have the servers on our "favorites" tab anyway

It's true and we're truly lucky, we just don't know how it works

The only thing that confuses me is the persistent account part.
Edited by HornyCat

I hate to be a party pooper, but i don't think CSGO has persistent game server accounts.

If it does, I can only imagine it involves something similar to what TF2 has, which is:

"Added the server command "sv_setsteamaccount" for logging in with a persistent game server account using a login token. Login tokens may be acquired via the IGameServersService/CreateAccount web API. Using a login token is not required to run a game server, but allows Steam users to continue to access your game server from their favorites list if your game server changes IP in the future."

No new cvars for CSGO, though. It is possible that you can do this, though. However, I found nothing online about it for CSGO thus far.

That being said, it (probably?) exists for CSS.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Perhaps this will be a cvar they will be adding soon in a future update. I can't imagine them making such a major change for only one of their games.

Soooo forgive me for prying but any news on the "Time to get a new fucking host" front? Lagging out of the servers every hour is getting pretty damn irritating.. 

I hate to be a party pooper, but i don't think CSGO has persistent game server accounts.

If it does, I can only imagine it involves something similar to what TF2 has, which is:

"Added the server command "sv_setsteamaccount" for logging in with a persistent game server account using a login token. Login tokens may be acquired via the IGameServersService/CreateAccount web API. Using a login token is not required to run a game server, but allows Steam users to continue to access your game server from their favorites list if your game server changes IP in the future."

No new cvars for CSGO, though. It is possible that you can do this, though. However, I found nothing online about it for CSGO thus far.

That being said, it (probably?) exists for CSS.

I managed to hack together something with the help of a SourceMod extension to utilize the new persistent game server accounts in Steam. Even though there isn't a cvar set up for CS:GO specifically, I was able to force the servers to register their own "game server steam ID". Since this is a steamworks feature, it technically should work even though it hasn't been directly implemented in CS:GO just yet. :)

This new CS:Go update seems to stop DDOSing. Is this true?

Yes! - When a server is running with the -nomaster parameter, it will not register on GMS and will not respond to direct queries.

So all we have to do is not put our servers on the master server list and they can't find us. GENUIS!

Yes! - When a server is running with the -nomaster parameter, it will not register on GMS and will not respond to direct queries.

So all we have to do is not put our servers on the master server list and they can't find us. GENUIS!

SEpCU.gif

Sign in to follow this