Sign in to follow this  
HCMikey

Can we please put quake sounds on the server already?

pretty sure this just adds more for the server to process, meaning increased server load, meaning potentially more delay eventually.

I don't think you understand how these things work. It's optional sounds, not a 450 MB bsp file.

the server has to load that on every map, as it is not client-side but server-side, regardless of the client hearing it / downloading it.

ive ran 7 servers at once with full customized mods and plugins, so yes, i know a little bit about what im talking about. i tend to speak from experience and not talk when i dont have any. its a smart way to live.

the server has to load that on every map, as it is not client-side but server-side, regardless of the client hearing it / downloading it.

ive ran 7 servers at once with full customized mods and plugins, so yes, i know a little bit about what im talking about. i tend to speak from experience and not talk when i dont have any. its a smart way to live.

Why would the server have to do anything else than to run the plugin and play the sounds from your folders? :confuse:

Server would have to calculate the triggers to play the sounds. Not sure how much that would add to the processing. Probably not that much but it still has to process it.

This would also add to the current download size a new player would have to grab. Not sure how bad our download currently is as I haven't wiped out my model and sound dirs in awhile.

EDIT: damnit thorgot snipidy sniped me

Edited by centran

*shrug* iirc sound files take a bit more to process in terms of loading maps/server than most other entities, especially given you would be loading a separate plugin for this one.

that being said, i dont know a lot about actual server processes but i do know i dislike quake sounds. UT sounds are where its at

*shrug* iirc sound files take a bit more to process in terms of loading maps/server than most other entities, especially given you would be loading a separate plugin for this one.

that being said, i dont know a lot about actual server processes but i do know i dislike quake sounds. UT sounds are where its at

Unfortunately, only quake sounds have been made. Hearing "cherry popper" and "Unicorn Stampede" in that gay flamboyant voice was too good. I wish someone would get on it and port those sounds already.

Also, we're talking about a second or less of extra of download time, assuming the client's download speed isn't complete shit. 

no but they are entities for the server to load via the respective plugin, afaik.

edit: also, there are a lot of different sound packs available for sourcemod, jsyk. UT is definitely available, duke nukem is an option; im sure there are more im forgetting

Edited by Vexium