Sign in to follow this  
AnarchyX6942

DirectX9 improvement with the 8000 series

I currently am using a 7600 in my comp and get a steady 100+ fps in most CS:S maps, but in more modern games, Crysis, CoD4, etc, my frame rates could definitely be better. The question I have is that I'm soon coming into possession of a 7900 (or there no 7900 and its a 7950??? I don't remember) for free and I'm going to be getting a gift for my birthday, and due to the fact that I'm never going to run Vista for DX10, is the improved DX9 quality worth selling the 7900 and getting a 8000 series card, or would I just be better off investing in a new processor? I'm not talking about buying a 8800 GTX or anything, but maybe a 8800 GT or GTS, not insane graphics, just something thats a bit more functional for multiplayer.

Guest some fag

Just get a 9600GT... 150-160 bucks for 8800GT performance... I would take it.

Guest some fag
zeus is right, dont waste your time with the 8 series now that the 9 series is out

Meh... Until the 9800GTX comes out and only if it's something new will the 8800 series of cards be a waste of time. As far as bang for the buck, the best out is the 9600GT... The 8000 series has the most to offer for the time being and the 9800GX2 is a pretty big purchase for unsure driver support and if you don't have a tight budget, the 9600 isn't worth looking at... However, it costs 50 bucks less than an 8800GT and performs very comparably.

Whats a diff bettween the 9600 and the 8800.

Well... The 9600GT uses the G94 core which is slightly more powerful than the G92- however, the G94 in the 9600GT has 64 stream processors compared to the 112 in the 8800GT.

Still doesn't really answer my question sure the 9 series is great, but I'm looking for DX9 ONLY, I know I would see SOME improvement, but would it be enough improvement for me to go out and buy one. Also I'm only using a 3800+ atm so I think it could probably be better spent of a processor.

I have a 7950 GT 512mb. I have a E6850 3.0 duo processor and 4 gigs of ram. I am running my fps at 190-210 on CS:S. This is not overclocked or super cooled either, I have a stock fan on my GPU and a 40 dollar hsf for my cpu. Honestly man, don't waste your money. I believe in saving for something better than just a 150-200 gpu your gonna wanna upgrade eventually. 7950 GT is good enough for now.Get this. You'll see the difference

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103228

I go with what Waylon says. I was acually planing on buying that processor this summer when I get some money. I would be upgrading the board, processor, and the video card. Between you and me, I don't care if I don't get 200fps. 50 is good enough for me. Microsoft is going to force your hand sooner or later because most games will be DX10. I agree, I'm not wanting to get Vista just for DX10, but when games start requiring it, then you will have to. *Sigh* I hate when people force my hand.

This is why I went to consoles now.

If you're someone who is tight on cash. (Well, I think thats all of us, but I guess I mean someone with no source of income for themselves)

It's hard to keep up with the ever-changing gaming pc.

If I had the patience to save up $700+ for a current-decent gaming rig, I would, but I know it would be outdated in 1 year~, just like my current rig.

What about the 10,000$ from your aunt.

It wasn't $10k anymore.

And if I did follow through with that build, 5 years tops to stay current.

It wasn't $10k anymore.

And if I did follow through with that build, 5 years tops to stay current.

We'll thats true in a sense, but console's lives aren't much longer. The Xbox debuted in 2001 and the 360 came out 2005, thats only 4 years, and think of how more versitile your computer is. Sure the multimedia aspects of consoles are great, but in the long run you're going to end up needing a computer anyways, why not just funnel all your cash into one place and make it a good one.

It's just that when a breakthrough game comes along, it almost always requires a hardware upgrade e.g. Crysis, and games come out within months at a time.

With a console, it'll be the same all through it's lifetime until it's new born comes along. No worrying about if your hardware is up to date, and wondering if you have to spend another $200+ for that new gpu.

I don't think I could save every penny I got for a whole year.

I did the math, and I would get approximately $960 for the whole year, and that means not spending a penny.

I guess my two year old shitty, by today's standards, computer is more than enough to do basic functions until MS Word requires 2gb of ram.

the thing about that is, you have to be happy with what you have. Everyone wants the best of everything but it won't happen. So just buy something that you are happy with and is good enough for what you need, and keep it that way.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...439&CatId=6

This is exactly what I got, except I'm dual-booting with XP. Using this machine with XP, and I couldn't be happier.

Great home computer, decent gaming computer, and overall a fantastic computer for the price and for what I use computers for. It's not the best computer, but it works for what I need.

Guest some fag
I have a 7950 GT 512mb. I have a E6850 3.0 duo processor and 4 gigs of ram. I am running my fps at 190-210 on CS:S. This is not overclocked or super cooled either, I have a stock fan on my GPU and a 40 dollar hsf for my cpu. Honestly man, don't waste your money. I believe in saving for something better than just a 150-200 gpu your gonna wanna upgrade eventually. 7950 GT is good enough for now.Get this. You'll see the difference

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103228

Well the 9600GT performs as well as an 8800GT and that performs only slightly less than the GTX and in some cases, better.

150-200 bucks for that kind of performance really is a good deal. Just pick up a 5000+BE and a 9600GT and you'll be runnin' all of those games perfectly fine.

Even though you do need to upgrade your processor, getting this video card wouldn't be a bad idea. Even if it bottlenecks because of your CPU, it is relatively cheap, its current, and you will see as much of an improvement in performance as any other video card with that... Then when you do upgrade the CPU, you won't be behind the times with a slower card (7950GT).

Well the 9600GT performs as well as an 8800GT and that performs only slightly less than the GTX and in some cases, better.

150-200 bucks for that kind of performance really is a good deal. Just pick up a 5000+BE and a 9600GT and you'll be runnin' all of those games perfectly fine.

Even though you do need to upgrade your processor, getting this video card wouldn't be a bad idea. Even if it bottlenecks because of your CPU, it is relatively cheap, its current, and you will see as much of an improvement in performance as any other video card with that... Then when you do upgrade the CPU, you won't be behind the times with a slower card (7950GT).

7950 gt is all you need. I get 200 fps boner

I mostly get 300 fps constantly, with the 8800 GT 512mb. But there shouldn't be a big diff between 256mb and 512mb versions. I got it for 270$ u can get it now for under 250$.

Guest some fag
stick with the processor. Don't listen to them

The processor upgrade isn't a bad idea- however, I have trounced you considering for the price of a 7950GT you could get the 9600GT and an AMD Athlon X2 5000+ BE.