Sign in to follow this  
DarkPredator

Upgrades for BF4

I was going to get opinions on advice I gave my bro

So my bro just got BF4 the same time as me, but he's getting really low FPS, even on the lowest settings, around 15-35 on small TDM maps

His core specs are:

Core 2 duo e7500 2.93 ghz (socket 775)

8 GB DDR2 ram

GeForce GTX660 2GB

So in my opinion, it's the cpu that is the bottleneck

I took a quick look at the current state of the market and told him get an Intel i5 4570, which also means a new mobo, and also means he needs new ddr3 ram

Any opinions?

I think I have something like an AMD Phantom II, pretty sure that's cheap and I'm getting around 100 FPS, if you don't have a hard-on for Intel I'd get that as long as it works with the motherboard

Edited by Drake

I have a hard on for intel, your plan sounds reasonable.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the generic Intel fanboy

It's definitely the CPU.

I took a quick look at the current state of the market and told him get an Intel i5 4570, which also means a new mobo, and also means he needs new ddr3 ram

Just stick with that plan.

Of course Intel beats AMD performance-wise, but value-wise they get much more competitive. If he's not looking for top-notch performance and just wants something that performs on a budget, it's worth taking a look at AMD.

Thanks for all the input, gonna go with

Intel i5 4570

Msi g41 z87

2 x 4 GB gskill ram

With the GeForce 660 I'm hoping he gets about 60+ fps on at least medium/high

(The mobo and ram were just cheapest at the time, I know they're not the greatest brands)

Thanks for all the input, gonna go with

Intel i5 4570

Msi g41 z87

2 x 4 GB gskill ram

With the GeForce 660 I'm hoping he gets about 60+ fps on at least medium/high

(The mobo and ram were just cheapest at the time, I know they're not the greatest brands)

Msi is ok, if he plans to OC his processor ever it needs to be 4570K but if not, thats a good setup, he should be fine.

I did the whole oc thing with the e8400 era and I got a lot higher speeds, but in actual performance in games the marginal increases weren't worth the long term stability decreases by fiddling with voltage. Then again I've always used budget boards and my experience isn't that profound so that mighta been it. In any case I'm satisfied with sitting on stock performance for builds for my family

On my own builds I'm comfortable doing really safe oc on cpu, but I'm done ocing gpus, had really bad times with artifacts once

I really loved played with ram timings back in ddr2 to get those latencies down, especially with high performers capable of low times and 1T, I could really feel the benefits in game. These ddr3 timings are offensive XD