Sign in to follow this  
botb

Problems with Priest

The race Priest is very underwhelming. It just feels very weak and doesn't really do anything. What I mean by this is the abilities are weak. I'm not going to talk much about the damage to undead as it's situational but has some good flavor going on. Also the fact it makes dealing with infected and a few other races round one not too annoying.

First is the issue of the heal on the ult. The range is crippling. Compare it to keeper's heal which goes off every six seconds it also has a sizable range and heals 10 a pop. I don't know what the updated stats are but originally it was 2 hps for 15 seconds so it would be 30 health for standing in a bright green spot for however long it takes. I eyeballed the new and I think it might be 3 or 4 hps which is an improvement but the standing in one spot just blows. A possible change could be if you set in the green pillar is that you gain a heal over time for the same value and you aren't required to stay in it to recieve the healing. Just run through gain the hot and continue on your way. The way it works now is to use it in cover or at a spot where people will generally be in constant combat like if you were at long a as ct on dust2 looking into t side dd. Another problem with the current model is that you ult and oops team moves on, now you can't really heal for another 30 seconds. And once that cd is used you literally do nothing until it's up again. The race doesn't have many offensive capabilities so you're kinda like well I will support my team by staying out of the way. I get it's suppoused to be support but outside of that long ult cd you don't do much.

The res is useful but at times feels like a hindrance as the first people who die tend to either the very aggressive or very stupid. So there's no tactical usage of that ability. This is only a minor nitpick.

People say the old evade was something like 30-35% which is insane. I think at most you could go to 20% but this doesn't fix the lack of a support feel. Other races with this tend to have multiple things going for them to help your team. Keeper has a very valuable heal plus long jump/m4a1 along a very servicable ult. Holy Paladin brings some serious heat with an active heal, very sexy 20% damage reduction aura and the chance of ult immunity. I have not really looked at shadow hunter but I think it has some healing wave and hex.

I guess my biggest problem with the race is how passive it feels and how little benefit you provide while handicapping your team if they want heals. Generally it's easier to have an active heal to try and heal your team versus this very passive one. One thought might be that the cd on the ult is reduced to 15 seconds and it lasts like 10 seconds so you can be more proactive with it so as your team pushes or falls back, you can be relevant to the current gamestate.

Sorry for the rambling/bad layout of my post. Typing this on a phone is annoying.

Aside holy paladin expertise ideas!

1. Reduce the cooldown on the res from 45 to 36. This just shows as you've gained a bunch of experience as a paladin now you res a total of 5 people versus 4 over 180 seconds (longest possible round duration) though not sure if that's too much.

2. A very small regen overtime. Heals for the same as a ring of regen at 100 but heals for more if you're under 50. However heal is canceled if you are taking damage. Not sure if this would be difficult to code or not. Also give the heal a 5 second cd before it starts.

Have you played the WCS version of priest? For the most part when I am playing this race I get the same feeling that I did when I played in back on WCS. I held a 3:1 ratio quite easy when I was on it yesterday, the ultimate is nerfed in two ways in comparison. First, the area of effect of the heal is like 10% of the original range which does give the same team support race feel at all apart from team clausterfucking for a crit nade. Secondly, the heal rate healed for 5 (might of been 7s) every couple seconds in which the current heal rate is a value of 2s. Hmm... now that I think about this... the overheal is a problem, +25 of max health or 125hp as a static value of the server is affecting one of the strengths of some races. Priest's heal would heal people up to 150 hp.

So I yeah I agree with you however this is an event race, don't worry I'll be sure to harass the engineers to balance it and adjustments on skills as needed after the event. Like I said, I held a good kd ratio when I played the race without it being maxed. So I don't feel given the current state that it completely needs any work to be done to it.

If the heal were increased to the size of the old heal (roughly 30-40 ft diameter IIRC) then it would be fine. As it is it does seem to be pretty weak, although there are a lot more undead races than you think, and it helps a ton (undead scourge, naix, ghost, infected, remilia [at least it should be undead, not sure if thorgot modified this yet], other stuff I can't remember).

For the most part the way Priest is now, it's fine since there's no limit and you can stack it like a healing pool. However, after the event is over the likelyhood the max limit per team will be 1 again if it's following wcs1, and the radius of heal would need to be increased.

If the heal were increased to the size of the old heal (roughly 30-40 ft diameter IIRC) then it would be fine. As it is it does seem to be pretty weak, although there are a lot more undead races than you think, and it helps a ton (undead scourge, naix, ghost, infected, remilia [at least it should be undead, not sure if thorgot modified this yet], other stuff I can't remember).

Yea there are a lot of undead races, I had forgotten about ghost I keep thinking it's the starcraft ghost and not a spooky ghost. I mean the mod is called warcraft so I just think of everything in warcraft in mind.

I do believe you do extra damage to remilia. 

For the most part the way Priest is now, it's fine since there's no limit and you can stack it like a healing pool. However, after the event is over the likelyhood the max limit per team will be 1 again if it's following wcs1, and the radius of heal would need to be increased.

The problem I have is that it heals so slow, is refined to such a small space, and it telegraphs to everyone, "HEY THROW NADES HERE OR SHOOT HERE THERE BE HURT FOLKS HERE!"

Honestly overall the race isn't awful, it's just not good. I mean if the race is say a low level race then fine sure whatever but I don't think it will be and it feels extremely lacking. You literally do nothing in between every 30 seconds. Just look at all the abilities, all passives except for the ult. The support aspect of the race feels very weak as you give a chance of getting 1-2 resses and a big green pillar of meh that takes you out of  the fight for 15 seconds if you want the full heal. Though I will admit the heal was greatly buffed. 

My only bitch is that I was hoping for some sort of new gameplay as a support class and just realizing that it's a bitch to code/design such a thing.

WHAT THE FUCK KNIFEMASTER I SEE YOU READING THIS! WHERE YOU BEEN!?

also priest as much as it is as a supporting race, it's pretty much standalone if you can aim and shoot properly, you do have evade. if you get shot at there's your heals, you're almost always surrounded with teammates, but really don't rely on them so heavily since 90% of the time they will fail you, and if you die, your judgment skill will be your fail safe besides your revive skills

just my 2c: i feel like priest shouldn't have to put himself in the line of fire to heal. the aura effect should be big enough that the "totem" (vertical wave fx) can be around the corner and still healing players. this would also add a little more subtlety to the ability, as it tends towards revealing where players are at times (even through walls)

It really depends on your style of game play, however Priest is capable of fending for itself. There are bound to be plenty of undead type races as ika has posted above including crypt lord and i'm not sure about succubus hunter. However, what you posted is more or less what Priests heal was supposed to be. A ward spot which trails a healing wave from the ward to your teammates and yourself within the radius of the heal.