Sign in to follow this  
ElectronicDrug

New Build

http://www.corsair.com/hydro-series-h50-cpu-cooler.html for liquid cooling, you can get more than 4.2 ghz with liquid cooling

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html , 780 ti is currently at the top beating the titan in benchmarks (not how well it performs in games). he's also talking about the 780 ti, not just a 780. it costs $100 more and has better performance.

i've never heard of the overclocking problems trucka has said, but it might be true so idk

as for the sound card, way too expensive, get an asus xonar. http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DSX-Engine-Playback-Support/dp/B007TMZ1MY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384208019&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+xonar if you want 7.1, otherwise what piero linked. (which is what I have)

holy balls your motherboard is expensive, the one you showed me in the build you sent me seemed fine to me

I need a mobo with at least 4 pcie slots. And probably 10+ sata ports. The more the better.

Not going to delid but I am considering lapping

I'm keeping my old hardware and giving it to my girlfriend or something. Dunno yet

Lapping is amazing after you practice it a few times. I've seen temp drops as much as 7-10C afterwards

Also, if you're spending that much on a motherboard, the onboard sound is probably going to be as good as the Xonar until you get into that $200+ range

Edited by Moflstomp.mp3

Ok, updated parts:

Updated my preferences on pcpartpicker and found i could save like $50 by picking the cpu up locally

Swapped out mobo for one with better sound and an extra pcie slot, as well as more sata 6gbps ports and other extra connectivity goodies

Not gonna go with an extra sound stuff at the moment

Added H100i cooler

Researched and found gelid gc-extreme to be the best thermal paste (unless I want to do liquid metal or something, and I don't)

Upgraded RAM to something a bit faster than runs on 1.5v

Added a mouse pad

And still around the same price point.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme 3.5g Thermal Paste ($11.50 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87 XPOWER XL ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($380.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($735.66 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (White) ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($116.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Zowie EC2-eVo (Black) ($67.00)
Other: SteelSeries 9HD Large Professional Gaming Mouse Pad (Black) ($30.84)
Total: $2537.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-12 10:57 EST-0500)

approved with caveats. 

i <3 arctic silver thermal paste :D

the monitors are sooo small :(

i looked at your memory and thought what if you want to upgrade later? now you have to ditch stuff.. have you considered putting 2 8GB sticks in and leaving empty in case you ever decide you want more? i understand you may not now, just thinking of the future.

I'd say swap the 4770k for a 3770k if you're planning to overclock. Haswell is more focused on AMD's A10's processor. No real improvements besides internal GPU for the cost.

Edited by Oreo

Updated again. More RAM, and a new keyboard

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ TigerDirect)

Thermal Compound: Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme 3.5g Thermal Paste ($11.50 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z87 XPOWER XL ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($409.98 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($319.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Microcenter)

Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (White) ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($144.00 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)

Other: Zowie EC2-eVo (Black) ($67.00)

Other: SteelSeries 9HD Large Professional Gaming Mouse Pad (Black) ($30.84)

Total: $2776.25

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-16 19:57 EST-0500)

I would avoid Acer like the plague. I had to get my monitor repaired, which would have been fine. Except for the fact that i had to pay shipping and it took over 2 weeks to get it back. They also tried denying my warranty. Also when you ship it, you have to buy insurance. If you dont, and it gets damaged. They wont fix it, and they will ship it back to you. They do the same thing when you have insurance, except you can claim it with ups/fedex.

Acer products are known to have faulty parts.

I would suggest something from benq or asus.

I would avoid Acer like the plague. I had to get my monitor repaired, which would have been fine. Except for the fact that i had to pay shipping and it took over 2 weeks to get it back. They also tried denying my warranty. Also when you ship it, you have to buy insurance. If you dont, and it gets damaged. They wont fix it, and they will ship it back to you. They do the same thing when you have insurance, except you can claim it with ups/fedex.

Acer products are known to have faulty parts.

I would suggest something from benq or asus.

My 3 monitor eyefinity setup uses all Acers. I have no issues.

My 3 monitor eyefinity setup uses all Acers. I have no issues.

What he is getting at is that acer/gateway/emachines tech support is shit. Their computers are for the most part built with low quality parts. Their peripherals on the other hand are decent, if not great. 

Asus has spoiled me, and I don't think i'll go for anything else motherboard-wise.

Edited by Velo

Worth thinking about is that AMD is definitely better for 3 monitor setups so you might want to wait until the r9 290 has a better cooler and then go for that. I still wouldn't go for it currently but it might be worth waiting for.

Worth thinking about is that AMD is definitely better for 3 monitor setups so you might want to wait until the r9 290 has a better cooler and then go for that. I still wouldn't go for it currently but it might be worth waiting for.

I'm unsure if I already said it, but BF4 Mantle support drops next month, so that could be the game changer

I'm unsure if I already said it, but BF4 Mantle support drops next month, so that could be the game changer

Could also be nothing, and BF4 is a buggy unsupported mess of a game with DLC after DLC coming out right after release. Not appealing at all.

G-sync looks WAY more promising than Mantle to be honest.

Edited by Dyscivist

How so? I'll be running 4 monitors anyway.

Two off the 780 and two off the 670

How so? I'll be running 4 monitors anyway.

Two off the 780 and two off the 670

Eyefinity is just really good. I don't really know anything about the NZXT Phantom but you might want to consider getting a bigger case just for the cable management and the ability to run tubing through the back panel of your case which you probably can't do with that case. I guess if you're not running water blocks on your cards it doesn't matter though.

Also worth considering getting a 120hz monitor for gaming purposes for CS:GO and other competitive shooters and having the rest be 60hz. I don't know how much of a difference it makes but I've heard it can be substantial. Also IPS panels are nice but a bit more pricey. Up to your preference on that front. I wouldn't ever get a TN panel again but I also don't plan to run multi-monitor setups in the future for anything other than just having a small side monitor for utility while gaming.

Edited by Dyscivist

The Phantom is huge. The cable management features and the size are why I originally got it. So no issues there.

I have no interest in stretching my game across multiple monitors. I am considering 120hz but I want my monitors to match in physical dimensions and looks