Sign in to follow this  
Ichalvl

Upgrading my computer, I also want to upgrade my microphone / headphones. Also, dual graphics cards?

I'm currently building a ~$1,200 gaming PC that is meant for me to be able to stream a lot of shit and play even more shit.

With this being said, I've been rocking a Turtle Beach headset for over two years now, I'm genuinely surprised that it is still fully functional. 

I'm looking for a new set of headphones, a new microphone, and any other accessories that you guys can recommend.

My budget for the headphones is around $300-350 while the budget for the microphone is, at max, $200. I'm not looking for enterprise materials here but I still want good stuff.

Now for the second part of the title: Dual graphics cards.

I've currently got a GTX 660 and I am looking at the new GeForce 760 GTX as it's around $150 and almost 30% better than my current one.

The problem I have with this is that my new motherboard allows for me to put in two certain kinds of graphics cards and have them act as one, and I am wondering if I should take this route instead of getting the 30% better cards. I'm not too keen on what all of the "certain type" stuff means but I assume it's a pretty generic type of card. Are cards that are dual - compatible super expensive or should I go for those because of how they can give me a better overall performance? Or can I stack my GTX 660 and my GTX 760 together? 

Any info on either of these topics is much appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Ichalvl

Holy fucking shit, you have a nice budget there.

Partly because of my summer job, partly because I am a jew and never buy anything because CS:GO and GW2 are perfectly fine game-wise for me, and partly because my rich-ass grandparents are hiring me as their assistant to pay off the computer.

Thanks though!

So you want a separate microphone and headset? Or is the microphone just for streaming?

Well I want a good mic for streaming / talking on ts3 / mumble / etc, basically people always say that if I get a headset I'm paying a big price for decent headphones and a cheap mic to go with it.
Edited by Ichalvl

I can vouch that my PC360s are a good headset if you decide to not go the separate headphone/mic route. They're the HD550s with a damn-good microphone attached. Otherwise, here are a few companies for headphones that usually come to mind:

-Sennheiser (duh)

-Audio Technica

-Fischer Audio

I can vouch that my PC360s are a good headset if you decide to not go the separate headphone/mic route. They're the HD550s with a damn-good microphone attached. Otherwise, here are a few companies for headphones that usually come to mind:

-Sennheiser (duh)

-Audio Technica

-Fischer Audio

I'm thinking of getting sennheisers but I'll look into PC360s.

I'm thinking of getting sennheisers but I'll look into PC360s.

The new model is the PC363d, but if you can find them, get the PC360 instead. It's $180 for the 360 vs. $300 for the 363d

As far as the dual graphic cards go you need to have two cards with the same model number in order to have them work in SLI.

Additionally, the cards will focus off the lower memory frequency and would preferably have the same clock.

Seeing as you have a 660 I would recommend either another 660 or just another card altogether such as a 780 or if you want to go radeon a 7950/7970.

(They may be releasing the next lineup fairly soon though.)

Remember if you decide to do SLI you need to have an acceptable PSU.

You could have both of the cards listed in your computer but I don't personally know what the benefits of that would be.

Also...a 760 for 150??

Edited by Joscal

if its $150 for a 760 its shit tier, probably better than your 660, but will be obselete very quickly.

when you buy something that shouldnt be that cheap, check the reviews. theres a reason why.

personally, the 660 still has alot of life left. just get another 660 and sli them. make sure your PSU can handle it.

as for headsets, my g35s are pretty nice and only ~$100.

Edited by Skotti

if its $150 for a 760 its shit tier, probably better than your 660, but will be obselete very quickly.

when you buy something that shouldnt be that cheap, check the reviews. theres a reason why.

personally, the 660 still has alot of life left. just get another 660 and sli them. make sure your PSU can handle it.

How do I "sli" two 660's? 

You don't need xp, some of that article is old.

That was a poor article to reference. Shoulda just linked the youtube video.

Honestly its having the required cards, knowing if you need an external connector...your card manual will tell you or you can google it. And then using nvidia software to control it for you.

Also make sure you match up dual 16x slots, dual 8x slots or a 16x and a 4x.

put two gpu's in, get a cross fire cable and do some installations. your psu needs to be able to handle it. i reccomend 700+ watts.

Alrighty I'll look into that. Thanks!

What those two said, there are really only two reasons why you would actually want to dual gpu.

Money is no object, people buy really high end cards and sli/crossfire them.

Performance/price ratio. When you really don't have the money for a nice card but the card that you already have has dropped to a decent price that you can afford.

You don't fit into either of these categories, so single gpu is your best bet.

Either go for a nice nvidia card or if you dare wait for the next radeon series.

(you seem like a nvidia person so I'm not really gonna argue much)

Edited by Joscal

normally headsets in the $300+ price range you would want a decent amp to go along with them. headsets under the $300 price point happened to have many headphones that are easier to drive. the headphones I listed are easy to find under $300, easy to drive, some are portable, closed back and opened back headphones. I really recommend going to a nearby guitar center and see if maybe some of these guys are available for you to try out because they do have different sound signatures.

Sennheiser HD558 like many recommend
Sennheisers HD25-1

Beyerdynamic DT1350 would be comparable or better than Sennheiser HD25-1

Focal Spirit One 

Sony MDR 1R

AKG K 550

Audio Technica ATK-A900X

Where are you getting a 760 for 150?

I would love to know where he is getting a 760 for 150$ at... Lowest I have seen is like ~244.

Depending on your budget, ask yourself is it worth another ~150$ for the 770 over 760. Or if you have an excess of budget left and can  afford it and are fine with it, I would say go for it.

As per headphones..

I use AD-700's. They aren't "worth" the 200$ retail price on them, as I got them for an insane discount with my sound card(iirc 110 for a sound card and headphones due to an amazing deal).

Are your mic+headphones in your total computer budget, or is the 1200$ just for the main computer, then tossing another what $500 at the mic+headphones?