Sign in to follow this  
Kelso

Not Gonna Be Playing for A Bit

LOL, I'm about to send my motherboard back to evga. It takes like 15 min of rebooting to get to win xp booting screen. They say the mobo is not recongnizing the harddrive.

I said "I'm pretty sure," I don't know for sure as I'm still quite the newbie to the whole computer building thing. I know I wired everything correctly, but what's worse is that the PSU I'm using doesn't seem to work now. Blegh. I've got a whole shit load of problems.

If anyone can help me determine the exact problem here are some signs:

-Keyboard LEDs don't light up

-Mouse LED doesn't light up

-Monitor LED is orange

By the first 2, I basically just meant they don't start up. But with my PSU problem I can't be too sure if it's my motherboard or not. As for the monitor, the one I was using had a flashing green LED and I read up on that, and that was the monitor's problem. So I'm using another one, and it's LED is orange. Which according to some other forums means there's a hardware problem of the likes or something.

Any help would be nice.

Okay for the moniter. Take your graphics card out and put it back in. And insert it back in. That should fix the problem. As for the keyboard and mouse reconnect them, or its your psu or motheboard has a problem, or reconnect all your wires. So that should narrow the problem down. You could try another psu, just to see if thats the problem.

He already said it was the mobo. Retard.

I didn't say it definitely was. Any help is appreciated, Chronix. I've put my video card back in, instinctively that's the first thing I did. Secondly I instinctively put the keyboard and mouse USBs back in. I haven't rewired everything, and I'm working on trying out someone else's PSU.

Guest some fag

Its your RAM or your motherboard.

When you try to start it up, does the computer sound like its booting on with fans running and shit? If so, its your RAM for sure. Had the same problem a while ago.

Its your RAM or your motherboard.

When you try to start it up, does the computer sound like its booting on with fans running and shit? If so, its your RAM for sure. Had the same problem a while ago.

Beat me to it again, what a bitch.

Anyways, I would try RAM or PSU first, if that doesn't solve it then yeah, mobo. I had this same problem and it was the PSU. You could even borrow some RAM or PSU from a friend and try it much more easily than swapping the mobo out.

Does a case alarm sound when you try to boot?

I said "I'm pretty sure," I don't know for sure as I'm still quite the newbie to the whole computer building thing. I know I wired everything correctly, but what's worse is that the PSU I'm using doesn't seem to work now. Blegh. I've got a whole shit load of problems.

If anyone can help me determine the exact problem here are some signs:

-Keyboard LEDs don't light up

-Mouse LED doesn't light up

-Monitor LED is orange

By the first 2, I basically just meant they don't start up. But with my PSU problem I can't be too sure if it's my motherboard or not. As for the monitor, the one I was using had a flashing green LED and I read up on that, and that was the monitor's problem. So I'm using another one, and it's LED is orange. Which according to some other forums means there's a hardware problem of the likes or something.

Any help would be nice.

Honestly, sounds like your power supply toasted itself. Especially if it boots and hangs. Like it turns on and doesn't do anything. No codes or beeps. That's usually a power supply. If so, provide more info and I can help more.

Yeah, now I'm pretty sure it's the power supply for the obvious reason that when I turn on the computer nothing works. So I've got that to solve, TigerDirect sent me the wrong RAM, so I've gotta fix that, and I don't know about my motherboard. I know I need a new PSU now though, and my one computer pro brother is a Christian extremist now, and won't help me with anything and won't let me use the parts he's not using.

So yeah, I'm in quite the standstill. I doubt I'm going to be stealing his PSU as that's quite noticeable. Blegh, I've got a whole boatload of problems that likely won't be solved for a little bit.

Thanks for all the help guys, I didn't really think much about the RAM. I've only got 512mb that I borrowed from my brother's computer who is in Europe. I'm sure in the end it will all be rewarding.

Hopefully.

Guest Fohacidal

I had this problem awhile ago when I lived in El Salvador where power surges (more power not less) were frequent. It screwed up my dads PSU to the point where it almost never wanted to work and it sizzled the mobo a bit, our ram also fried but after putting a new stick in the problems persisted. I dont think its fixable...

I had this problem awhile ago when I lived in El Salvador where power surges (more power not less) were frequent. It screwed up my dads PSU to the point where it almost never wanted to work and it sizzled the mobo a bit, our ram also fried but after putting a new stick in the problems persisted. I dont think its fixable...

I hope that's not the case. I could have spent my money on something like a flower that sprays water at people.

Yeah, definitely.

I know I thought I had a mobo problem. Nothing turned on, not even the PSU. After I turned it in and got a new one, same problem. I figured out that something was short circuiting the board, I took a few screws out, and it worked. Then again, I did pick a shitty company for the board. I would test the PSU. It helps when you test it to determine if it is the power. Power supplies are generally cheaper than Mother Boards. lol It would suck if the PSU fried itself and the board. I have had that happen. No fun...

I know what's wrong now, and it's going to be one bumpy ride.

Holy fuck is it ever. Let me just say, I may be the biggest retard ever. I've discovered more problems than I could imagine thanks to my hastiness and lack of knowledge. Pretty much none of the parts are compatible. Fuck my life.

Guest some fag

Yeah, it sounds like your PSU, now, considering you JUST told me that nothing happens. You need to be a bit more clear. I wouldn't doubt its your RAM, but you're going to need to replace your PSU before anything else can be trouble shot.

son of a bitch dude, Do we need to buy you a team of asian midget technicians so you can play continously without a major computer breakdown :(

2 new sticks of corsair ram, and I've got a new PSU. 2 512mb sticks that is. Problem persists.

ouch, at this point I would say its your mobo if you tried a power supply that had sufficient watts. What all are you running and what specs does the PSU have? If you have the right wattage for each component then its highly unlikely that your power supply is the problem...I had a problem with my monitor not powering up, turns out something was shorting out the circuits to the video card...check under the motherboard, maybe even clean under it, that removed whatever was shorting it for me. Probably not the case but its always worth a shot

Well, I installed the RAM last night when I was incredibly baked so I think I might have not unplugged my PSU when I installed the RAM... Pretty sure.

Another thing I've noticed is that with the new PSU, my disc tray doesn't work (It's a Xion PSU 450w). Meh, I still think it's the RAM. I've gotta get this figured out, and I'm going to. Another reassuring thing that makes me think it's the RAM is that when I was baked I also put a stick back into my brother's computer without unplugging it, and now he has the same symptoms. :] He'll find out all about that when he gets back from Europe... Yay.

Got new RAM today, installed it. Symptoms remain the same. Looks like my PS2 will have to keep me company for a looong time. Fuck.