Sign in to follow this  
JWB10

How much money do you make?

If I get this job I just got interviewed for I will be pulling in roughly $3,600 a month plus commission and get to do all the test driving I want to get sent to.

Thought I'd chip in on this.

IIrc Chosen is a Captain in the army, base pay of all captains in the army is iirc ~3700$ a month. Seeing as how I don't know how long he's been in the army, I have no idea of what his scaled pay is. Granted, this was last time I talked with my friends of family Colonel from the Airforce, when discussing whether or not I should enlist, Figured i'd ask about pay and he laid out the basic pay for each rank. Shit is cray when you get to the years he has in the military... 20+ as a colonel and he brings home iirc 9-10k at least a month.

20+ years just to make 120k?

No thank you.

And? You get a useless title next to your name and mediocre pay after 20 years. No thanks.

You're saying that making $120,000 at age 40-45 is mediocre? 

Edited by Sooners

After working 20+ years? Yes.

benefits, job security, retirement pay, being able to be contracted for the same pay or higher + getting retirement pay as well, etc etc etc

it isn't mediocre to be making over $100k a year at any point in your life. some people don't even make $50k per year by the time they're 40. you may be making $100k right now in your late 20s, but that isn't the norm.

People in africa make $1 a day if they're lucky. Just because you make $5/day doesn't mean you're well off. It's all relative.

$120k is fine, sure. but no one is going to build their dreams on that. If your end goal is $120k after 20 years, you're doing it wrong. *shrug*

Just seems like a long time just so you can be "comfortable"

People in africa make $1 a day if they're lucky. Just because you make $5/day doesn't mean you're well off. It's all relative.

$120k is fine, sure. but no one is going to build their dreams on that. If your end goal is $120k after 20 years, you're doing it wrong. *shrug*

Just seems like a long time just so you can be "comfortable"

You have mixed up high aspirations and reality. I doubt anyone's goal is to make "just" X amount after X years, it's always to make as much money as you can possibly make at any point in time. 

High aspirations: I'm going to be a millionaire!

Reality:

INCOME REQUIRED TO BE IN THE:
TOP 1%                 $383,001
TOP 5%                 $188,001
TOP 10%               $140,001
TOP 25%               $89,125
TOP HALF             $50,742
BOTTOM 25%       $25,411
BOTTOM 10%       $12,154

I'm not saying I'd be OK with making that, I'm just saying reality is a vast majority won't and to label it as mediocre wouldn't be right. 
Edited by Sooners

it's always to make as much money as you can possibly make at any point in time. 

That's completely wrong. People measure success differently. I just had this conversation with my dad like a week ago. Some people's goal is not money, but rather vacation time where they can spend more time with their family. Or some people is just living a certain way, in a certain type of home (on the beach, whatever)

Mediocre probably wasn't the best word. What I simply meant was that 120k doesn't seem like a big enough reward after 20+ years of working.

That's completely wrong. People measure success differently. I just had this conversation with my dad like a week ago. Some people's goal is not money, but rather vacation time where they can spend more time with their family. Or some people is just living a certain way, in a certain type of home (on the beach, whatever)

Mediocre probably wasn't the best word. What I simply meant was that 120k doesn't seem like a big enough reward after 20+ years of working.

IIRC the money ChosenOne makes from being in the military is in addition to the money he receives from him "office job", which must be a lot at ~$140/hr for one client.

Not only that, $120,000/yr is a lot more than a lot of people make working 50+ years at the same company. The pay you receive is relative to the cost of living of the area you're in, and the type of work you're doing. For example, if you're making over $100,000/yr in Wisconsin you're EXTREMELY well off, especially in cities like Green Bay or Milwaukee. This is due to the fact that industrial or factory job workers (the majority of Wisconsin workers) receive relatively low wages because the cost of living in Wisconsin is much lower. If I compared a factory worker in Wisconsin to a cashier in California you'd think that the factory worker makes much less he should, but relatively they are making similar wages.

20+ years just to make 120k?

No thank you.

I feel I left quite a bit of information out. 20+ years to make over 100k may not seem ideal, but if its 20+ years of doing something you love and having familial benefits alongside of that, then it would be worth it. If you could be guaranteed a consistent pay increase as long as you worked, doing something you like/love, then would it not be smart and thus "successful" to do that job?

and drug, I mentioned the Colonel. I'm pretty sure that wasn't his current pay at the time, since it was an old pay "stub" (can't remember what he called it exactly). I'm nearly 100% sure that was just his base pay, not including his MOS pay or anything else.

Edited by Spell

I feel I left quite a bit of information out. 20+ years to make over 100k may not seem ideal, but if its 20+ years of doing something you love and having familial benefits alongside of that, then it would be worth it. If you could be guaranteed a consistent pay increase as long as you worked, doing something you like/love, then would it not be smart and thus "successful" to do that job?

and drug, I mentioned the Colonel. I'm pretty sure that wasn't his current pay at the time, since it was an old pay "stub" (can't remember what he called it exactly). I'm nearly 100% sure that was just his base pay, not including his MOS pay or anything else.

Sure yeah, definitely. I'm not putting anything down. Like in my last post, everyones definition of success is different. If you love what you do and don't care about making good money, then go for it. But based purely upon salary, 120k really isn't that much.

I have no idea how military pay works. I was just basing it on the numbers you gave.

But based purely upon salary, 120k really isn't that much.

Based off of what? Opinion? 

In the real world, $120,000 is more than what 85% of US households bring in every year.