Sign in to follow this  
yeet

So my dream is finally becoming real

My dream, which a lot of you don't know is to join the army. It's been my dream since I was 6 years old and I turn 17 in 7 months, Thats when I will be joining

I talked to my parents for 2 hours about it and coming from my fathers experience in the Military doing several different jobs (practically everything) for 22 years they approved of it, they know its been my dream for 10 years also, Today, which has been one of the happiest days of my life is a turning point for me knowing that the dream that was only a dream for 10 years has finally come true.

The Army will let me finish high school before they ship me out to train and all that other shit but I was happy enough to make a thread about it.

"This We'll Defend"

My dream, which a lot of you don't know is to join the army. It's been my dream since I was 6 years old and I turn 17 in 7 months, Thats when I will be joining

I talked to my parents for 2 hours about it and coming from my fathers experience in the Military doing several different jobs (practically everything) for 22 years they approved of it, they know its been my dream for 10 years also, Today, which has been one of the happiest days of my life is a turning point for me knowing that the dream that was only a dream for 10 years has finally come true.

The Army will let me finish high school before they ship me out to train and all that other shit but I was happy enough to make a thread about it.

"This We'll Defend"

Good luck Demon, it's awesome that you're doing something you believe in, but there's a lot of bad too. I sincerely hope it stays your dream. Fuck, saying sincerely made it sound sarcastic. It isn't. Words are hard.

War looks better from the air

Gratz

I feel their ass cheeks would get sore after a while though, being in that chair all day. I would rather be on the field 

People are always very vague when they say their dream is to join any of the armed forces. What exactly is your dream?

Well you got the first part like everyone else, I'll get into detail for you Shadow. As you probably know everyone gets infantry training and learns to be a grunt but I want to have my MOS in infantry or somthing of that sort. Basicly I want to be in the battle up close and personal so the backbone of the Army. I want to be knee deep in combat and I know I truly won't understand how it's like until I go through it.

I love America and would gladly give my life to protect the people of this Nation

Why not the Marines?

It's been my dream to join the army for 10 years, I'm not going to change something Iv'e believed in for 10 years just like that. My friend is a Marine and we talk about it all the time. I want to work my way up to the Rangers and so on. Work my way up the chain then maybe switch over to the marines after a long period of time of serving in the Army

I figured you'd want to do infantry. If I was you I would wait until your twenty and see if your perspective changes. Most of my friends who went to infantry after high school regretted it, they were all deployed very soon to Iraq or Afghanistan after boot camp and weren't ready for the shit life they experienced. The others who were deployed to Hawaii, Germany, Japan, other States, and England enjoyed it, but they said it could be boring at times. A few of my friends made it to Ranger and the ones who were deployed absolutely hated it.

17 is too soon to decide me and my one friend planned on doing Navy Seals we agreed we were both to dumb in High School to decide, so we waited until we were done with community college and both decided nope. It isn't the adventure you think it is, which became obvious to us as we matured. 

Edited by Shadow

I figured you'd want to do infantry. If I was you I would wait until your twenty and see if your perspective changes. Most of my friends who went to infantry after high school regretted it, they were all deployed very soon to Iraq or Afghanistan after boot camp and weren't ready for the shit life they experienced. The others who were deployed to Hawaii, Germany, Japan, other States, and England enjoyed it, but they said it could be boring at times. A few of my friends made it to Ranger and the ones who were deployed absolutely hated it.

17 is too soon to decide me and my one friend planned on doing Navy Seals we agreed we were both to dumb in High School to decide, so we waited until we were done with community college and both decided nope. It isn't the adventure you think it is, which became obvious to us as we matured. 

My family is a military one,i've been dedicated to this for more than half my life. I understand where your coming from and probably think I'm just an ignorant kid that has no idea what he's getting into, you might be right but from my perspective I'll be joining no matter what. The amount of work I try to put in is coming back and welcoming me with this. War is not fun, it's not supposed to be and I know that, war involves killing other human beings and I won't truly know that it until I go to war. The only way my decision will change is if they don't let me if for losing a arm or leg but that's forced on me. I'm never planning to give up on my dream

It's been my dream to join the army for 10 years, I'm not going to change something Iv'e believed in for 10 years just like that. My friend is a Marine and we talk about it all the time. I want to work my way up to the Rangers and so on. Work my way up the chain then maybe switch over to the marines after a long period of time of serving in the Army

Shadow makes a great point. At least go to some college and get an associates in a field of specialty before joining. The benefits/options and rank bump are a lot better from what i've been told. 

A friend I graduated had the same mindset as you and signed the day he graduated. He's still in and still active special forces (not ranger..didnt make it). Just know its incredibly difficult to make it to Rangers physically as well as psychologically.They will try to break you in every way, shape and form so that they know you wont out on the battlefield.

At lot of guys I know that have come back from tours also have had really bad PTSD. Thats not something you want to deal with for the rest of your life. 

I'm sure you have already, but do some more research, find guys that have done multiple tours and the effects it's taken on them in day to day life. It'll help you reaffirm your decision. 

If you do decide to continue to follow this path, best of luck to you and stay safe. 

Why not try to become an officer through an academy? If you're family is mostly military, I would think they would see it as being more honorable than going straight overseas where you'll earn very little paygrade and not have as many opportunities to move up. This or ROTC would be the best choice.

Edited by Oreo

I don't think you are ignorant. I just don't think you fully grasp what going into it is going to be like. I don't think any high school person does. Me and my friend knew we didn't that why we waited. We both wanted to join for the adventure, but knew we weren't able to fully grasp what we were going to sign up for. It is 4 years of your life. 18-22 can be the best time of your life to have fun and experience life without too many responsibilities. Almost everyone I knew wishes they waited until they were older or regretted not having those 4 years after high school.

Your choice of course, but make sure you question your dream a bit more before acting on it. Having your dream to be on a battlefield is odd, which is basically what you said your dream is. I can understand if you were going into it for money or benefits or a learning experience, but if that was the case I would say to wait until your older it isn't going anywhere. Get more in detail with your dream, question if that is really what you want to be doing and want to experience. Not many positive experiences and feelings in your dream. I wouldn't do it just because your family is military. 

If you do hit Ranger don't get a superiority complex. I have to knock them back to planet Earth all the time. The PT scores to get into Ranger School can be done by an average high school athlete.

Yeah Demon, people are just giving their advice, and honest opinions, it's nothing personal. Though, I'm glad you're pursuing your dream. Everyone should strive towards a personal achievement of their own. That doesn't mean, though, that people don't have a change of heart. So keep an open mind, and if in the end this is what you choose to endeavour, best of luck to you.

Guest Fohacidal

We need more guys like you. Just dont let it get to your head. Also dont listen to some of the people in here. If you need real army advice talk to chosen, Im a fallback as I have less time in service than he does.