Sign in to follow this  
BlackStone

Not mine....

But worthy of a post. Found it on ASMDSS

I have been asked on more than one occasion: What is a soldier? The simple dictionary answer is one who serves in an Army. The actual answer is something very different. Anyone can wear a uniform, including mine. That's not what makes a soldier.
A soldier is Blood. Sweat. Tears. Duty. Sacrifice. Pain. Joy. Love. Willingness to give the last full measure of devotion. Infantry. Artillery. Aviation. Rangers. SF. Signal. Armor. Many more branches, all soldiers.
A soldier does not want war, but will never shy away from what he knows he has to do. When things are at their worst, others know they don't have to go through it so they don't. A soldier gives that soft sigh and trudges on, confident that at some point, it will end because he is the one who ends it. A soldier makes mistakes, can do the wrong thing and say something he regrets, and is big enough to admit his faults. He knows when he needs help. A soldier has to choose between leaving his family to go to war, and leaving his comrades to go without him, which is a tougher choice than you may believe. A soldier is a man who has faith. Faith in his family, his unit, faith in his country. Every soldier approaches God in his own way at some point in his life. A soldier does things that can only be understood by another soldier. A soldier does what is asked and more.
This explanation is yet not enough for some, and it will never be. We are too multi faceted, too many aspects and nuances to describe. Friends loved and lost, bad dreams, sleepless nights, broken bodies, tears and more tears. It's something not understood or completely easy to describe.
What do I tell people who ask me what a soldier is?

Put the uniform on and join me. Then you will see.

God damnit dude.  I really want to join the military, it's almost a patriotic need lol...  I just don't think I can leave my family and friends.