Sign in to follow this  
Windmill

Should I wait for Nvidia's 700 series?

I'm looking at getting a new GPU. I've been considering a 660ti or 670FTW.

Though, the 600 series has been out for a little while now; I'm just not that familiar with how long Nvidia waits until they release the next line.

Maxwell won't be coming out for another 2-3 years. They've been spot-on with their roadmap, and with the new release of the GK110 Titan, there's no way in hell they'd bother releasing an entirely new part line when everything is still selling so well

Edited by Roflstomp.mp3

New GPU normally means better performance but lack of [good] drivers.

Well that would be based on AMD's side, they have not been known for exactly "Good Drivers"

Most of the time, drivers are for performance improvement reasons, sometimes for bug fixes. This is an example the HD4000 series no longer gets driver updates because they really can't be improved any further. If there is an update it will just be for something catastrophic.

Yeah, I prefer AMD over Nvidia because up until recently AMD has had the lead for most powerful consumer-level card on the market. From hundreds of benckmarks, I have noticed a trend over the past couple years is that Nvidia will tend to be a power hog and create more heat compared to the AMD side of GPU for equal level graphics. However, overall the differences only stack up to what you pay for the card, every game gets a different performance when it comes to drivers and GPUs.

Although I will admit I have not checked out the specs on this so called Titan GPU... another time when I'm in the mood to research trends/benchmarks :)

New GPU normally means better performance but lack of [good] drivers.

Well that would be based on AMD's side, they have not been known for exactly "Good Drivers"

Most of the time, drivers are for performance improvement reasons, sometimes for bug fixes. This is an example the HD4000 series no longer gets driver updates because they really can't be improved any further. If there is an update it will just be for something catastrophic.

Yeah, I prefer AMD over Nvidia because up until recently AMD has had the lead for most powerful consumer-level card on the market. From hundreds of benckmarks, I have noticed a trend over the past couple years is that Nvidia will tend to be a power hog and create more heat compared to the AMD side of GPU for equal level graphics. However, overall the differences only stack up to what you pay for the card, every game gets a different performance when it comes to drivers and GPUs.

Although I will admit I have not checked out the specs on this so called Titan GPU... another time when I'm in the mood to research trends/benchmarks :)

True, But the Deals AMD have been pushing out is great, Triple A titles with a card.. better than the shit Nvidia was doing with F2P currency stuff.