The Legalization of Marijuana

I think this is gunna take place within 15 years. The reasons I think so:

- Millions of dollars in generated revenue from taxation

- End the war on drugs and save fuck tons of money from that too

- Save money on incarceration from weed related offenses

- Gang related activity will decrease

- Weed really doesnt do anything worse than alcohol or tobacco

- Growing desire for legalization

Theres many more reasons i cant think of right now....so if you think of any please post them.

also post your affiliation towards this matter and why you dont think weed should be legalized if youre against it.

Edited by RASPUTIN

Already legal here in Washington for people 21 and over. Same with Colorado but I'm not sure if the age limit or any other specifics about it, is the same.

It'll come around eventually, not sure when, but eventually.

Edited by SpecialBrownies

I think this is gunna take place within 15 years. The reasons I think so:

- Millions of dollars in generated revenue from taxation

True

- End the war on drugs and save fuck tons of money from that too

The war on drugs isn't centered around one drug, false statement.

- Save money on incarceration from weed related offenses

Uhh, drug related offenses in general need an overhaul. It's the system, not the drug. You're also looking at a large amount of DUI's, possible public intoxication charges, etc if this thing goes through. It won't be uncontrolled like cigarettes, it's going to be under similar laws and regulations as Alchohol is. This includes an age limit and probably no smoking zones would apply to not just tobacco but also marijuana.

- Gang related activity and crime will decrease

Not really.

- Weed really doesnt do anything worse than alcohol or tobacco

Studies have shown that it does possibly cause harm. This ranges from mental(IQ drop, etc) to many other things. There's also possible chemicals that could be thrown in that could be carcinogenic.

- Growing desire for legalization

Pretty sure most of it is younger people who just want it legalized so they can't get in trouble. Fuck da police. This is true though, a growing number wishes for it to be legalized or at least decriminalized.

Theres many more reasons i cant think of right now....so if you think of any please post them.

also post your affiliation towards this matter and why you dont think weed should be legalized if youre against it.

IMO, the best idea would be to either decriminalize, not legalize it, and/or change the way the judicial system works towards drug users/addicts in general. Obviously we're not helping anyone by locking them away for years because they're addicted to any number of substances that are illegal. DUI and all that alongside other things will still probably be enforced, as well as most schools probably keeping anti-marijuana stances on it and punishing for being under the influence of it, similar to alchohol and breathalyzers. There also needs to be more definite studies into the drug itself, so that could affect the way everything falls if it in fact does. However, I don't think it's going to happen anytime in the next 15 years. Maybe in some states, but federally I doubt it.

Edit: @Toxy

Edited by Oreo

IMO, the best idea would be to either decriminalize, not legalize it, and/or change the way the judicial system works towards drug users/addicts in general. Obviously we're not helping anyone by locking them away for years because they're addicted to any number of substances that are illegal. DUI and all that alongside other things will still probably be enforced, as well as most schools probably keeping anti-marijuana stances on it and punishing for being under the influence of it, similar to alchohol and breathalyzers. There also needs to be more definite studies into the drug itself, so that could affect the way everything falls if it in fact does. However, I don't think it's going to happen anytime in the next 15 years. Maybe in some states, but federally I doubt it.

I don't really do much research on the whole marijuana legalization debate, so can you explain to me the difference between decriminalization and legalization? If it's decriminalized, wouldn't that also mean it's legal? Or would you be given a fine if caught with it instead of arrested?

I don't really do much research on the whole marijuana legalization debate, so can you explain to me the difference between decriminalization and legalization? If it's decriminalized, wouldn't that also mean it's legal? Or would you be given a fine if caught with it instead of arrested?

Decriminalizing means that while not strictly legal, it's not a criminal offense to possess and/or smoke it, but rather a misdemeanor. That's how it is in Massachusetts at the moment

Ive never smoked btw so this isnt a biased thread of me just saying 420 smoke weed all day. I just think itd be smart to legalize weed for mainly the revenue.

Decriminalizing means that while not strictly legal, it's not a criminal offense to possess and/or smoke it, but rather a misdemeanor. That's how it is in Massachusetts at the moment

that's what it is in Canada, decriminalized is the shit

that's what it is in Canada, decriminalized is the shit

It's actually fucking stupid. It would make way more sense for it to just be legal.

Really? legal pot would cost more (taxes), and probably wouldn't have near as much THC, you'd pay more for less.

Really? legal pot would cost more (taxes), and probably wouldn't have near as much THC, you'd pay more for less.

You're dumb if you actually think that. First of all, if it's legal you can just grow it yourself if you really want to, but I highly doubt the taxes would be such that it wouldn't make sense to just go buy a 20 pack of nicely-rolled cigarette-like joints when corporations are mass producing them easily in ideal conditions. I have no idea at all why you'd think THC content would be less.

Edited by Dyscivist

I honestly think one of the reasons so many high school kids start smoking it is because parents and teachers and shit keep telling them not to.

An anti drug program in my hometown was shut down because it was shown to increase drug use in the community or some shit.