Sign in to follow this  
Longcat

New pope, damn.

As being a jew i love how every1 in school was like dafuq why u not excited about this and i was like because im a devil spawn gg

Wait people actually care? Lol.

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about it. I can't go 2 seconds without someone asking me "hey, did you hear about the pope?"

It's on the news, on Facebook, Twitter, errywhere. I can't escape it.

Also, why'd they pick a guy who's, what, 75? I guess it's a short-term papacy.

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about it. I can't go 2 seconds without someone asking me "hey, did you hear about the pope?"

It's on the news, on Facebook, Twitter, errywhere. I can't escape it.

It's pretty big news when one of the world's largest religions gets a new leader. It be kinda like getting a new president but for a much larger group.

Edited by Sexy Batman

It's pretty big news when one of the world's largest religions gets a new leader. It be kinda like getting a new president but for a much larger group.

Sure, but I asked the majority of the people "Are you Catholic?" "No, I'm Christian/Muslim/atheist". Only 2 people said they were Catholics.Plus, no other religion has a "leader". It'd be like if someone came out and was like "I AM THE NEW MOHAMMED". That guy would be dead within 12 hours.

Although religion may be bullshit to a growing number of people, if you read about the guy, he's actually pretty awesome.

Yeah, great to idolize a man who opposes contraceptives to prevent pregnancy (gotta punish all of the sinful premarital sex having heathens!). This is a guy who doesn't want the elderly to have the right to die with dignity. A man who wants to deny the right of a woman to make decisions about her body, and opposes same sex marriage. The Catholic church is not a force for good or morality in this ever changing world.

Although religion may be bullshit to a growing number of people, if you read about the guy, he's actually pretty awesome.

Yeah, great to idolize a man who opposes contraceptives to prevent pregnancy (gotta punish all of the sinful premarital sex having heathens!). This is a guy who doesn't want the elderly to have the right to die with dignity. A man who wants to deny the right of a woman to make decisions about her body, and opposes same sex marriage. The Catholic church is not a force for good or morality in this ever changing world.

Didn't mean his beliefs or his religion, but merely the way he has lived his life compared to the other bishops and people who represent the vatican. Religion may be retarded for the most part, but this guy if you actually read about him, makes me respect him.

Edited by JMaFia

Didn't mean his beliefs or his religion, but merely the way he has lived his life compared to the other bishops and people who represent the vatican.

You can't separate the two. His life is his religion. He's risen to the highest office in Catholicism, and he's going to continue to espouse his backwards, out of date ideologies based upon a millenia old book. No matter how much of a humanitarian some may claim him to be, he's still horribly discriminatory towards women and homosexuals based upon his support for these positions.

Didn't mean his beliefs or his religion, but merely the way he has lived his life compared to the other bishops and people who represent the vatican.

what about it? did he only molest half the children compared to the others or

You're beyond ignorant and should consider killing yourself irl.

You can't separate the two. His life is his religion. He's risen to the highest office in Catholicism, and he's going to continue to espouse his backwards, out of date ideologies based upon a millenia old book. No matter how much of a humanitarian some may claim him to be, he's still horribly discriminatory towards women and homosexuals based upon his support for these positions.

You don't quite understand what I mean, he chooses to not live luxurious like the other people in the church who live like movie stars, he chose to remain living in poor conditions, rather than being extremely wealthy and living in the vatican, he cooks and cleans for himself and remains independent. That makes him somewhat respectable to me, but everyone has their opinion.

Ahh the old abortion argument. Where a child is somehow not a child until it's head pops out of the womb, meanwhile it's somehow double murder if you kill a pregnant woman but not a murder if it's an abortion. I'm all for women's rights and everything, but abortion isn't a simple issue, it has too many angles to look at and consider.

Anyway, he's a bad choice for a pope. He has no connection to the youth with which they desperately need to rekindle their relationship with and he's a pretty heavy conservative from Argentina, a country which leans towards a theocracy(President must be catholic among many other things). He's also been quoted with saying some pretty anti-Semitic things such as "the jews were behind it!". It's an important moment, not sure what all the fuss is about people from other religions or beliefs being interested or talking about it. I mean, he's the leader of the catholic religion, that's 1.2 billion followers. However I'm not seeing any positive shift for the Catholic religion here, maybe the next pope might figure it out. It's not like he's a young pope.

As for old people dying with dignity;

The prelate also denounced a "culture of discarding" regarding the elderly, which treats them as if they are disposable and worthless due to their advanced age.

"In Argentina there is clandestine euthanasia. Social services pay up to a certain point; if you pass it, ‘die, you are very old’. Today, elderly people are discarded when, in reality, they are the seat of wisdom of the society," he said, and observed that "the right to life means allowing people to live and not killing, allowing them to grow, to eat, to be educated, to be healed, and to be permitted to die with dignity."

We each have our different opinions and approach things in different ways, he has his and we have ours. I wouldn't jump on him and say he's trying to prevent the elderly from dying with dignity.

The catholic church isn't a bad thing, it just needs to adapt to the changing demographics of it's followers and realize that the view is changing and isn't what it once was. It's done some pretty horrific things and some pretty amazing things, but I wouldn't jump on every follower because of a small group's actions, some of whom happen to be in a position of power.

Edited by Oreo

I would respect him far more if he lived the rockstar lifestyle of some other church leaders but also decided to help move the catholic church forward into the 21st century. To praise the guy as being awesome for a few lifestyle choices while ignoring the negative ways in which he has influcened Argentinians, and now is in a position to influence the world, is foolish.To quote Uncle Ben: "With great power comes great responsibility." and the record of this new pope does not reflect a responsible view on human equality and morality in this day and age.

As for old people dying with dignity;

The prelate also denounced a "culture of discarding" regarding the elderly, which treats them as if they are disposable and worthless due to their advanced age.

"In Argentina there is clandestine euthanasia. Social services pay up to a certain point; if you pass it, ‘die, you are very old’. Today, elderly people are discarded when, in reality, they are the seat of wisdom of the society," he said, and observed that "the right to life means allowing people to live and not killing, allowing them to grow, to eat, to be educated, to be healed, and to be permitted to die with dignity."

We each have our different opinions and approach things in different ways, he has his and we have ours. I wouldn't jump on him and say he's trying to prevent the elderly from dying with dignity.

Thank you for enlightening me on this. If this is indeed the reasoning behind these anti-euthanasia statements I've seen in articles about this pope, I certainly revoke my statement referring to this.

Guest Fohacidal

Sure, but I asked the majority of the people "Are you Catholic?" "No, I'm Christian/Muslim/atheist". Only 2 people said they were Catholics.Plus, no other religion has a "leader". It'd be like if someone came out and was like "I AM THE NEW MOHAMMED". That guy would be dead within 12 hours.

Other religions have leaders, they may not reach a point of significance as the pope does but to say Islam doesnt follow its high ranking clerics or ayatollahs or any christian denomination doesnt follow any high ranking bishop/archbishop/whatever is being ignorant of how religions work.

deleted original reply

Because to be pope, you have to be involved with the Catholic church for a ridiculous amount of time, and even then, you still have to be chosen by a group of cardinals (whom you will probably be involved in).

Edited by aerokopf

I think he's a pretty bad ass guy. He's a jesuit, he has a masters degree in chemistry. His life is pretty humbling too, and his papal name choice is quite fitting. I expect good things from him, hopefully on the tier of JP2.

And fuck you KGame. I'm losing respect for you being one of those fuckers who brings up child molestation every time catholicism is mentioned. It's an awful thing that has happened but please don't use it as a blanket argument for all of catholicism.

I think he's a pretty bad ass guy. He's a jesuit, he has a masters degree in chemistry. His life is pretty humbling too, and his papal name choice is quite fitting. I expect good things from him, hopefully on the tier of JP2.

And fuck you KGame. I'm losing respect for you being one of those fuckers who brings up child molestation every time catholicism is mentioned. It's an awful thing that has happened but please don't use it as a blanket argument for all of catholicism.

^^