Sign in to follow this  
DavidC

Steam Box

simply put, too small to contain enough processing power to run any intensive game, maybe stuff from like 2005 or lightweight games like bit.trip stuff

Arguable, if steam is working on it there's going to be a ton of money put into it.

The steam box has a integrated AMD Trinity Series 32nm APU and that alone can run CS:GO just fine :D lol

I heard the Steam Box costs 999 :o

Edited by DavidChenn

The steam box has a integrated AMD Trinity Series 32nm APU and that alone can run CS:GO just fine :D lol

$999? wow fuck that, but you pay a lot for small electronic stuffs. smaller = more expensive

hmm thats actually not bad, but lets be honest and say that CS:GO isnt exactly an intensive game to run, its not really CPU or GPU intensive. I was thinking more along the lines of battlefield, dishonoured and stuff even on low-medium settings something that small must struggle with power (and if not heat must be an issue, that fan is not gonna save it)

Arguable, if steam is working on it there's going to be a ton of money put into it.

Steam will never disappoint! However, steam/valve has never done much hardware, they were known mostly for games and software. With all the other large companies in the same competition that has developed this type of hardware for so many years.... steam has huge balls to step into this.

It will be very eye catching and user friendly to those that have little knowledge of PC Gaming. Would attract a different crowed of people.

Here's the Steambox from Gaben:

8Ekjr.jpg

VNFZs.jpg

GjHSy.jpg

Hwlka.jpg

So are most of these going to be Linux-based Steam Boxes?

We’ll come out with our own and we’ll sell it to consumers by ourselves. That’ll be a Linux box, [and] if you want to install Windows you can. We’re not going to make it hard. This is not some locked box by any stretch of the imagination. We also think that a controller that has higher precision and lower latency is another interesting thing to have.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

Just read that article a little while ago, Mr. Dickinbutt. I'm honestly happy with the amount of devices I own (Desktop/Laptop/Tablet/Smartphone), but something like the $499 entry and $999 performance price point set-top boxes would be a really nice way to advertise and promote PC gaming from the couch instead of a chair and desk to Joe Everyguy. I love my PS3 now, and having something like the XMB on a PC would be awesome. Big Picture is a step in the right direction for living-room PC gaming, but I'm excited to see what Valve has in store for their modular home console!

The big plus is backwards-compatibility. The XB1 library isn't fully backwards-compatible on the 360, and PS3 dropped BWC support with newer PS3s, so launch models are way more desirable right now.. I can still pop in my FFVII PC discs and play it without any significant trouble. With Steam unifying the platform as a whole, being able to play older games without worrying if there's software support or support at all is a pretty good selling point to those interested

Looks like it could be kinda good. haha, so many damned input/outputs though. Nice to have, but perhaps a bit excessive. I'd like to visit their site, but apparently it's getting hammered right now.

Steam will never disappoint!

Been disappointing me since 2003.

I like the idea of how it doesn't have an electrical outlet to it or any AC adapter (from what I am judging in the video). It'll be battery operated hopefully, rechargeable lithium.

hX7o5.jpg

Actually, the base version of what is shown starts at $499, and the extra version starts at $999.99. The following is just a copy and paste from what I commented on in a different forum.

Entry-Level Excellence

Starting at under $500, the X3A Modular Computer delivers everything you need in an entry-level desktop—and nothing you don't. Powered by a Dual-Core 64-bit, x86-based 1.65GHz chip and 4GB of DDR3 RAM, the X3A Modular Computer is designed for most home and office applications. The X3A comes standard with 32GB of solid-state storage (upgradeable to 1TB), can support two high-definition displays simultaneously, has two USB 3.0/2.0 ports, four eSATAp ports, four USB 2.0 ports, and a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port. Best of all, the entry-level price point and the energy-sipping 18 watts power make this the lowest Total-Cost-of-Ownership (TCO) x86-based computer on the planet—all within a classy-looking chassis you can hold in the palm of your hand.

Power-users and gamers: start your engines! The X7A Modular Computer is like a high-performance race car housed within extremely compact chassis. Powered by a Quad-Core processor running at up to 3.2GHz, integrated with up to 384 graphics shader cores, and 4GB or 8GB of DDR3 RAM, the X7A handles graphics-rich games like Crysis 2 with ease. The X7A runs 3 high-definition monitors simultaneously, has four USB 3.0/2.0 ports, four eSATAp ports, four USB 2.0 ports, a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port, and up to 1TB of super fast solid-state storage inside the chassis. At a price point starting under $1,000 and operating a very power-friendly 40 watts, the X7A Modular Computer gives you a whole lotta bang for your buck.

Actually, the base version of what is shown starts at $499, and the extra version starts at $999.99. The following is just a copy and paste from what I commented on in a different forum.

Entry-Level Excellence

Starting at under $500, the X3A Modular Computer delivers everything you need in an entry-level desktop—and nothing you don't. Powered by a Dual-Core 64-bit, x86-based 1.65GHz chip and 4GB of DDR3 RAM, the X3A Modular Computer is designed for most home and office applications. The X3A comes standard with 32GB of solid-state storage (upgradeable to 1TB), can support two high-definition displays simultaneously, has two USB 3.0/2.0 ports, four eSATAp ports, four USB 2.0 ports, and a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port. Best of all, the entry-level price point and the energy-sipping 18 watts power make this the lowest Total-Cost-of-Ownership (TCO) x86-based computer on the planet—all within a classy-looking chassis you can hold in the palm of your hand.

Power-users and gamers: start your engines! The X7A Modular Computer is like a high-performance race car housed within extremely compact chassis. Powered by a Quad-Core processor running at up to 3.2GHz, integrated with up to 384 graphics shader cores, and 4GB or 8GB of DDR3 RAM, the X7A handles graphics-rich games like Crysis 2 with ease. The X7A runs 3 high-definition monitors simultaneously, has four USB 3.0/2.0 ports, four eSATAp ports, four USB 2.0 ports, a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port, and up to 1TB of super fast solid-state storage inside the chassis. At a price point starting under $1,000 and operating a very power-friendly 40 watts, the X7A Modular Computer gives you a whole lotta bang for your buck.

The 1TB solid state will probably be a 1000$ option lol

All that it says is it's a steam optimized something or another, everyone is treating it as the steam box. But with the price I really don't think that it is.