Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fohacidal

Computer Build Log

Guest Fohacidal

So I got my enlistement bonus after 2 years of being in the Army and I feel its time for an upgrade. Trying to find the best x79 chipset based motherboard to couple with this motherfucker of a beast Im going to build but Iv been out of the game for awhile. So far it looks like Gigabit and Asus are pulling the weight around, I used to be a huge EVGA supporter but it appears their x79 boards have been a little buggy recently. Wat do

Go with a Z77 motherboard first and foremost. If you want a good breakdown, add me on Steam and I'll give you a good parts list to fit your usage and budget

Guest Fohacidal

z77? Am I going backwards in time here or something. Iv already decided on the i7 3960x as my processor

I should mention I might be slow on the news but have been building and troubleshooting computers for over 7 years, I just need suggestions for things I might overlook as opposed to crazy breakdowns

edit: herp derp, 3930 x or k until I can figure out if the extra cost is worth it

edit2: 3960 or 3930 fuck me I cant organize my shit for shit

edit3: corrections

edit4: just kidding

edit5: making room for edit6

edit6: marvin is fag

Edited by Fohacidal

Guest Fohacidal

Z77 is actually after X79, and I'm only saying go Z77 because X79 is a dead-end platform, and was planned to be as such

z77 is for the 1155 socket, lower end processors than both the 1156 and 2011 sockets if I am not mistaken

edit: Im gonna throw in 1366 too for the higher end ones because I can

Edited by Fohacidal

1155 is for both Sandy Bridge and the newly-released Ivy Bridge processors (latter of which is based on the 22nm design and 3D "Tri-Gate" transistor layout). The features of Ivy Bridge are much more extensive than Sandy Bridge-E, or x79 (LGA 2011), although it lacks the ability to use shit-tons of RAM and six-core CPUs. LGA 1366 was the same way as 2011, too

Guest Fohacidal

edit6: marvin is fag

Nice to see you too.

Bro, must have been junzou or something I didnt put that in there i put it in you

Guest Fohacidal

Sooo far until I can think of anything better its looking like this

Corsair Obsidian 800d

EVGA GTX 690

EVGA x79 FTW

Intel i7 3960X

Corsair Vengeance 4x8 ram (2133)

Im also looking at places like xoxide and frozencpu for parts to get water cooling on the processor. Im also considering whether or not I want to get two more harddrives and put them in raid 0+1

edit: PSU is probably gonna be an AX series corsair unit, cause fuck the police fully modular baby cakes!

Edited by Fohacidal

Bout time homie. Just dont pull a starscream and spend your entire paycheck on your build and then bitch you cant pay your bills. Whats your budget.....or do you even have one?

Edited by ChosenOne2000

Guest Fohacidal

3000 is what Im looking for. Its probably gonna end up costing more, 3.1k more than likely

Guest Fohacidal

Its gonna be all out man, Im even considering getting water blocks for the chipset and GPU as well as I will be running this one water cooled

Unless you're pushing world record overclocks, I'd leave the NB/SB blocks alone. The Swiftech Apogee HD is always a good choice for CPU block, as well. Also, if you REALLY want balls-out, upgrade to the SilverStone Temjin 11. Most beautiful case on the market <3

That's alot of dosh

Oh you and your awesome references!

Edited by Roflstomp.mp3

Guest Fohacidal

Unless you're pushing world record overclocks, I'd leave the NB/SB blocks alone. The Swiftech Apogee HD is always a good choice for CPU block, as well. Also, if you REALLY want balls-out, upgrade to the SilverStone Temjin 11. Most beautiful case on the market <3

That's alot of dosh

Oh you and your awesome references!

Its a nice looking case and Iv wanted to do a build with the side (top?) mounted motherboard. But Iv had somewhat of a love affair with the 800D and its amazing ability to use minimalism to create an absolutely stunning case. The utilitarian design on the inside is almost just freaking amazing, so much room and slots for (cable) activities!

Guest Fohacidal

Apparently the water cooling is gonna be the hardest to settle on, its been a long time since Iv worked with a WC system and now its like I dont know what Im doing again. Fuck so many new pieces

pick up a display thats higher than 1080p

if your setup is packing that much heat you may aswell go with a retarded resolution

warning: you can never go back

Edited by Carl Sagan

Guest Fohacidal

Ill see about the screen, by the way Im going to use this thread now to post all the updates to my build, including a final build list, pictures and a video of it in action to include anything you retards request.

As of right now Im still deciding what to get, Im starting to heavily consider a motherboard with 8 dimm slots as opposed to 4 like on the evga board I have picked out right now. I hear asus calling

Guest Fohacidal

So here is an update parts list for the moment. Im still working on specific watercooling parts so until Im done with that I wont be able to post my list from frozencpu yet.

I decided to change several things, more importantly I decided to go with the Asus rampage IV formula instead of the evga board and 2 670s in sli as opposed to 1 690. Its cheaper and performance loss of 2 670s as opposed to 1 690 is negligable enough for the time being. Im not sure why I added backplates in there, I just kinda wanted some.

As far as I know an 850W psu should be able to hold 2 670s in SLI, 3 HDs (1 ssd, 2 velociraptors in raid 0) and everything else fine

post-632-0-39945700-1352048660_thumb.jpg

Guest Fohacidal

Iv always wanted to build with an 800d, its such a large, minimalistic case but all the attention to detail on the inside is enough to send any builder into full on orgasm. I ended up choosing the Formula though because of the few brands left with x79 boards Asus has some of the better performing ones. Especially with the Formula and its larger counterpart the Extreme they are dependable boards built for overclocking. I had originally picked the evga board as a placeholder simply because a majority of my previous builds were all EVGA based, unfortunately though it appears the quality dropped quite a bit and I dont want to have to deal with needing a bios update as soon as I get a board to receive full functionality.

With the budget you're talking about, I'd bump up the SSD to around a 256GB Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 and get a 1/2/3TB spin drive for bigger storage. The new velociraptor was reviewed and some of them said it was hard to recommend because of SSD prices and how much easier it is to get a small SSD for your OS and a 7200rpm drive for general storage.

EDIT: Might want to drop down to 1600MHz for the RAM.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706258

Edited by Roflstomp.mp3

Guest Fohacidal

With the budget you're talking about, I'd bump up the SSD to around a 256GB Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 and get a 1/2/3TB spin drive for bigger storage. The new velociraptor was reviewed and some of them said it was hard to recommend because of SSD prices and how much easier it is to get a small SSD for your OS and a 7200rpm drive for general storage.

EDIT: Might want to drop down to 1600MHz for the RAM.

http://www.overclock...ad.php?t=706258

Im stickin with the ram, I will be benchmarking this and it will be posted in modsrigs so I can see what I pull out of 3dmark and what have you. I dont need a bigger SSD though, you are right in assuming it will be my OS drive, I might consider switching the two mag drives though, Iv never owned a velociraptor and wanted to see them perform in a raid 0 setup, but who knows, Im almost done finalizing the build selection.