Sign in to follow this  
Dial Up Dan

Steam...

well as most of you have probably noticed, I haven't been playing CSS as of late. Thats mainly because I cannot get Steam to work on my PC anymore. I have tried it all and it still doesn't work, so until I fix this problem I won't be playing with you guys :(

I'll still be around on the forums tho.

get rid of vista if you have it when you reformat, steam doesnt get along with vista for some reason.

well acctully my brothers lap top is vista and steam seems to run fine same with all of his other games. and ya you should try installing it agian

well as most of you have probably noticed, I haven't been playing CSS as of late. Thats mainly because I cannot get Steam to work on my PC anymore. I have tried it all and it still doesn't work, so until I fix this problem I won't be playing with you guys :(

I'll still be around on the forums tho.

If you guys looked, he said he tried everything (reasonable) before posting this. So i think he has reinstalled and reformat to get it working and proably a system restore (works for me).

If you have not tried those 3 obvious things then i am dissapointed you.

If you want us to help as well, tell us everything you have done and we can see if there s a backdoor way in for you :D

Yes, I have tried reinstalling and reformating it still wont work.

As for whats wrong with it, I don't have a clue in hell.

Sometimes steam will load, sometimes it will crash before it loads.

When steam does load, it crashes anytime I try to play a game.

I can tell you a few things tho, my OS is XP, my anti-virus is compatible with Steam, and this started happening with the last steam 'browser' (platform?) update.

Yes, I have tried reinstalling and reformating it still wont work.

As for whats wrong with it, I don't have a clue in hell.

Sometimes steam will load, sometimes it will crash before it loads.

When steam does load, it crashes anytime I try to play a game.

I can tell you a few things tho, my OS is XP, my anti-virus is compatible with Steam, and this started happening with the last steam 'browser' (platform?) update.

I have an idea. Instead of installing it from disk. Try installing it from a download in the steam site. You should be able to install steam and CSS without a disk and just your CD key.

I never knew steam was on a disk. When was the last time you comp was reformatted? It seriously should be done like once a year if you do a lot of shit like I do

CS:S is on a disk, he means download CS:S and steam from the internet, but I don't think you can download CS:S from the internet without buying it from the internet. Legally, that is.

his CD key should be in steam, aka he owns it already

I have an idea. Instead of installing it from disk. Try installing it from a download in the steam site. You should be able to install steam and CSS without a disk and just your CD key.

I have already tried that, and Steam does save your CD-key, so you only need to enter it once.

Buy a new computer is only way then, if you reformated your PC and it dose not work, buy a new is the only fix for it i guess.

Buy a new one? This rig is less than a year old.

If you have reformated it I think that buying a new one is only solve.

Dude, it code be as simple as a part of the code for Steam doesn't like a program I am running, it doesn't mean my rig is shit now.

Will someone let me know the next time the Steam platform updates?

Try a new hard drive and format windows on that new drive. Run it from there. Another Idea. Use partition magic to create a small logical partition. Like maybe 10 gigs. Format for Windows on that small partition. Install Windows on that partition. Use dual boot to boot from the separate partition and use that partition to run steam and CS only. Boot to other partition for all other activities.

I had the same problem when a steam update was released. I did a system restore to a previous checkpoint, it updated again (this time with several of my security programs off in case one was interfering), and it worked fine. If you reformat your computer again, try just installing steam and no security programs (along with limited use of the internet). I know it sounds dangerous, but at least you'll know if there's something else is hindering it.