Sign in to follow this  
Marine

Remember them.

68 years ago on this day, the Allied Forces consisting of mainly American, British, and Canadian troops hit the shores of Normandy, marking the largest amphibious invasion in mankind's history. This also marked the beginning of the end to the era of Axis rule over Europe. Let's make sure to remember those who died that day, and those who fought bravely on both sides, as the majority of Germans only fought for fear of their own lives. Remember June 6th, 1944.

SC320901.JPG

Nobody ever fucking mentions the russians.

But yes, good job allies, winning the war single handed.

I think this is the highest rated day for History Channel, second only to the Zombie-Nazi-Ancient-Alien Second coming of Jesus.

Edited by SmittyWerbenjagermanjensen

One of the close friends of my family took part in D Day all the way up to when Germany surrendered. He was in the liberation of France, Battle of the Bulge and all the other battles. Can't talk about it and he walked out of the movie Saving Private Ryan because "I've been there, I don't need to see it again". I'm going to try and get him to write his stuff down since majority of the veterans are now dying.

I think this is the highest rated day for History Channel, second only to the Zombie-Nazi-Ancient-Alien Second coming of Jesus.

ya , and the lineup for history channel today? PAWN STARS! where you can sell your dead grandpas old nazi goods.

Nobody ever fucking mentions the russians.

People mention the Russians all the time, however the warfare they did on their front was more or less just a pure bloodbath. When Germany attacked them they were weak, Stalin had "Purified" even his own generals and the russians heavily lacked leadership because of this. Not to mention when it came to war atrocities the Russians were terrible as fuck too. If you think the Russians were an elite fighting force, they weren't. They had 10 million casualties to Germany's 4.3million which is a huge fucking difference. The only reason they won was because of their sheer numbers. Don't forget that Germany tended to make bad decisions, like overextending from Russia to Africa, allowing the other allied forces to make huge supply cuts, and attacking ukraine instead of moscow.

The Russians were a member of the allied forces....

Edited by Oreo

One of the close friends of my family took part in D Day all the way up to when Germany surrendered. He was in the liberation of France, Battle of the Bulge and all the other battles. Can't talk about it and he walked out of the movie Saving Private Ryan because "I've been there, I don't need to see it again". I'm going to try and get him to write his stuff down since majority of the veterans are now dying.

My Grandfather was in New Guinea. I asked him if I could interview him about his experiences, he refused almost all the time, giving me minimal facts. 1 year before he died, I made my dad drive him to a library, my dad left us alone. From there, I took a study room, and wrote/typed everything down. Took over 8 hours. (I was 15)

I've tried to contact his fellow Marine brothers but have come to no success, nor a reply.

One story that is burned into my mind was when my Grandfather and his fellow patrolman came across a hidden cave, where my Grandfather was watching the rear. Walking inconspicuously, a Japanese flamethrower (inside the cave) took the life of his patrolman, whilst burning alive, my Grandfather thew a frag grenade; after explosion, he sprayed 2 clips of .45 Thompson. After realizing the cave was all clear, my grandfather carried the burnt corpse of his fellow patrolman btb about a 2.5 mile walk.

My great-grandpa(Who's dog tags I still have hanging on my wall 3 feet away from me) was part of an artillery unit that was part of D-Day, who trained for up to a year in Iceland to prepare for the Normandy invasion. He wasn't that first initial wave as you see in Saving Private Ryan, but he was still there to see the complete aftermath/carnage of it all. He was a religious man who loved animals and people, and had volunteered to join the Army around 1935 or so, and when the war was over, he was not at all religious, nor was he the same after. I'm not sure if my dad's side of the family(black/Native American, so doubtful they were in Normandy) but my other great-grandpa on my mom's side may have also been apart of it, but neither of those great-grandparents spoke more than once or twice about it, so it's hard to verify what things they were apart of.

Everyone forgets Santa was there!

~10,000 deceased U.S. Marines find this extremely offensive.

If that picture is of Normandy, then it wouldn't be U.S. Marines. U.S. Marines were located in the Pacific during WWII.

Edited by Marine

No they don't. They're dead.

Really though, if I were to die in a war I'd find your post WAY more offensive than Youngz, as you'd be using my death to promote people being big pussies about humor.

What you should be chastising Youngz for is for posting an image that isn't funny.

No they don't. They're dead.

Really though, if I were to die in a war I'd find your post WAY more offensive than Youngz, as you'd be using my death to promote people being big pussies about humor.

What you should be chastising Youngz for is for posting an image that isn't funny.

You beat me to it.

War sucks....

It sucked even harder back then. People now days deploy for 4 months to a year. Back then soldiers deployed for up to 4 years. Just think about that....4 years straight of getting shot at. Most soldiers today are pussies just worried about college money.

War sucks....

It sucked even harder back then. People now days deploy for 4 months to a year. Back then soldiers deployed for up to 4 years. Just think about that....4 years straight of getting shot at. Most soldiers today are pussies just worried about college money.

And yet... they're better than pussies who worry about college money while in college. (me)

ya , and the lineup for history channel today? PAWN STARS! where you can sell your dead grandpas old nazi goods.

From what I've seen, he won't buy anything Nazi related. It "just creeps him out."

Why is it such a big deal that it's the 68th year? Sure, I respect what they did, but it's not like I'll ever forget, no need to celebrate on an odd number like 68.

Just an anniversary to be noted in the day, for a moment of remembering.

Guest Noiman Cascade

Just made a similar post on Facebook with this image.

As for what nation contributed more, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that the dozens of nations around the world stood up and gave it their all, sacrificing thousands of lives in the process.

r0CLB.jpg