Sign in to follow this  
Mitch

Student Debt at Colleges/Universities in the US

It's funny that the graph trends downwards a little towards the end when you get to 2010. Does that imply that those extremely expensive schools are geared more towards the wealthy kids who are able to get more help from their parents than the average student?

The times of Universities and Colleges being a resource for simply education are out the window. Unless you have money to burn, you go to college for a better paying career, but there are a lot of people who don't understand that and decide to choose majors that don't have much of a future in them which causes them to be in debt with no end in sight.

The times of Universities and Colleges being a resource for simply education are out the window.

In America******

Just thought I'd fix that for you.

Just thought I'd remind you the study was based on colleges and universities IN AMERICA.

Here in Great Falls its only $1500 a semester for tuition which is extremely cheap that is where im going. Eventually i will have to transfer to a more expensive university to actually get into my major or microbiology but for now that is very affordable.

What Chosen said and one of my favorite quotes from my father, "Getting a degree only means, 'I'm trainable' to employers."

You forgot: Bosses are scared of people with more degrees than them, unless its a legitimate boss.

Bethesda Christian University apparently has near 0% debt rates with students..

Fwauhahahaha ^

Going to apply straight away.

Edited by Rune

"Getting a degree only means, 'I'm trainable' to employers."

I'm not sure what degree you're getting, but a getting my degree means we know how to do shit.

I'm not sure what degree you're getting, but a getting my degree means we know how to do shit.

Only works for professional degrees or terminal degrees.

You mean useful degrees?

You mean useful degrees?

Degrees where you dont need OJT to do your job (Lawyer, Psychologist, Physician, Dietitian, Nursing) not (Sociology, Philosophy, Biology)

It's funny that the graph trends downwards a little towards the end when you get to 2010. Does that imply that those extremely expensive schools are geared more towards the wealthy kids who are able to get more help from their parents than the average student?

The times of Universities and Colleges being a resource for simply education are out the window. Unless you have money to burn, you go to college for a better paying career, but there are a lot of people who don't understand that and decide to choose majors that don't have much of a future in them which causes them to be in debt with no end in sight.

The big name "ivy league" schools have substantial financial aid programs. If you need the financial aid you will get it. So no, that is not the implication. I mean there are certainly very wealthy people who go to those schools, but its not like the majority are super wealthy people.

The thing about certain majors not having much of a future is not correct at all. If you standout, it doesn't matter what major you are in there will be a future for you. graduates who don't stand out will naturally not have much of a future.

The big name "ivy league" schools have substantial financial aid programs. If you need the financial aid you will get it. So no, that is not the implication. I mean there are certainly very wealthy people who go to those schools, but its not like the majority are super wealthy people.

The thing about certain majors not having much of a future is not correct at all. If you standout, it doesn't matter what major you are in there will be a future for you. graduates who don't stand out will naturally not have much of a future.

50k on a Liberal Arts degree to get a manager job at a mcdonalds rather than fry cook.

I still think that is a problem considering the fact that a high school degree is becoming less and less valuable and a bachelors degree is becoming the new high school degree. That means that with the higher need for a college degree, the bigger problem it will be for students who don't or can't stand out like others do. I think saying "if you stand out in a major you will be fine" is oversimplifying the issue.

I still think that is a problem considering the fact that a high school degree is becoming less and less valuable and a bachelors degree is becoming the new high school degree. That means that with the higher need for a college degree, the bigger problem it will be for students who don't or can't stand out like others do. I think saying "if you stand out in a major you will be fine" is oversimplifying the issue.

High School degrees are worthless & Bachelor's degree are beginning to be pushed out of the door as well.

Or, for you scurred bitches, High School degrees are rather meaningless today, and Bachelor's degrees are beginning to lose their value as well.

Edited by PANTERA

this is more of an economical issue, consider a business owner in a bad economy. To ensure that he is still making profits with reduced sales, he lays off a bunch of people. One day he decides he needs some extra help, he will naturally hire someone who positively stands out and disregard those who seem ordinary.

^this issue has nothing to do with a Bachelor's degree or major. Anyone who is exceptional will do just fine. Those who aren't might not. Thats the way it has always been and it hasn't changed.

There are plenty of jobs available to high school graduates and bachelor degrees. Stop raising the bar so high.

You definitely can find employment with either, that is not to say these will be high paying jobs. It's common sense, the bar--as you put it--has been raised to set a Bachelor's Degree as the new minimum, as more and more meet this standard, the bar will eventually be raised again.

Edited by PANTERA