Sign in to follow this  
Contract Killer

Macbook Pro vs Air

Before I start, don't tell me to get a PC. I already have one as my main gaming rig, and I want something different as a laptop.

I'm looking to get either the base model 13" Macbook Pro or the base model 13" Macbook Air. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I keep swaying from one to another. This will mainly be used as a secondary to my main rig. I will browse the internet, check email, listen to music, maybe play a game or two. I will take it to college with me. So far these are the pros and cons I have conjured up from each:

Macbook Pro:

+

Upgrade-able

Faster Processor

Longer Battery Life

More ports/CD Drive

-

Heavier

Lower resolution screen (1280x800)

No SSD

End of Cycle (expected to have new model in 2012)

Macbook Air:

+

Very Light and Thin

SSD

High Resolution Screen (1440x900)

Just Renewed

-

Slightly Less Battery Life

No CD Drive

Less Powerful Processor

My biggest worries with the MBP is the lower resolution screen, no SSD, and that it's at the end of its cycle. Some people expect a brand new model to be introduced in early 2012. My worries with the Air are that its not as powerful, and not upgrade-able.

So after this, what would you guys choose?

Contract, I believe all the mac models are going to end within 2 years. A new thing will take there place. Like the transition from ibook to macbook. it'll be like AppTop or iTop, iLap, Something like that. It will probably keep the appearance. Apple always has 2 different looking models (with the same name) before they move on to the new generation of laptop with a different name. But the first model of the next series will look identical to the macbook pro except maybe an extra port or something. (Macbook airs aswell) But they will defiantly not loose value. Macbook pro will run everything better. Also, the macbook pro can use more ram. Hook it up to a external monitor. You save 100$ between the macbook air and the macbook pro, just get a 20 inch monitor with that money.

Edit: Macbook pros have several parts, the macbook air only has pretty much, one. if something stops on the air, the entire thing needs to be replaced, so that could be super expensive. if something stops working on the macbook pro, you get that one piece replaced. Macbook airs use flash (onboard hard drive).

REMEMBER TO GET APPLECARE WITHIN YOUR FIRST YEAR.

You can get a upgraded resolution screen for like 100 cant you?

EDIT: if you get the base 15" model you can get the Hi-Res display for $100 and for $150 you can get the antiglare Hi-Res display.

Wait for the new pro dude, I think that it will be well worth it. Just stick college out for a few months with your current computer.

Wait for the new pro dude, I think that it will be well worth it. Just stick college out for a few months with your current computer.
The new pros just came out a couple months ago. Itll be a while to a new revision.

Id go for the pro if you want to play some css and such.

the air if youre not planning on doing ANY gaming.