Sign in to follow this  
noobsteak

Need serious college roomate help!

So, I decided to go for a random in roommate in college because I made my choice on which college to go to at a very late time compared to all of my friends. So, today I got my assignment and the person I am living with all next year is a foreign exchange student from China. Now, I am not racist against asians or anything like that. It is just that the kid lives in China at this moment and barely speaks any english, and I was hoping I could have your "average joe" type of kid who I could relate to for my first roommate. Now, here is where I need the help/advice. Does it make me a bad person to call the school and ask for a roommate change, or should I just rough it out for the first year? What would you guys do if you were in my situation? At this point, I am half pissed and half feeling like a jerk.

No way it doesn't make you a bad person at all. If you dont feel comfortable just ask the Main administration or Main Office. It doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

explain it just like you did here, I'm sure they can understand, and if not, then it didn't hurt to try.

to be honest i would take the situation as a learning experience. you can teach them about stuff and they can teach you about stuff and everyone is happy.

i live in a very bright bubble (^_^)

Guest Montgomery

Ask them how to do your homework... and teach them english..

Ask them how to do your homework... and teach them english..

I think everyone is assuming that all Asians are smart. I am probably smarter than this kid, and we probably will not have the same classes either, so let's take that out of discussion.

Best advice I can give as someone who just graduated from college:

deal-with-it-ace-ventura.gif

Really, this. You learn a lot by dealing with stuff when you're finally out on your own. And being with someone that may not be perfect, will prepare you to deal with a lot. I had 4 roomates and they were far from perfect.

Just explain that you don't feel comfortable with someone who isn't fluent in English and that you want someone you can relate to blah blah blah.

Chinese people stink.

This actually sounds like it would be really interesting. I mean, having a roommate from a part of the world that's so vastly different from America would be a great opportunity to learn and shit. So what if he speaks shitty engrish, help him improve. Make him feel welcome in a country that isn't his own.

Man, It makes me think I should get a room mate for this year at college, Is it that hard? I already rent my own flat in the city where my college is.

People request changes all the time. The only problem is your excuse. They might tell you to try it for a semester. You won't be stuck with him for a whole year. You will be surprised at how many room changes happen after the first semester.

Also, it is very rare for a freshmen to get a single room.(at least at most colleges) So I wouldn't get your hopes up for that.

DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE ELSE IN THIS THREAD YO I GOT REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE HERE

I JUST DID A YEAR IN COLLEGE AND I WAS IN THE SAME EXACT BOAT AS YOU, YOUR ROOMMATE IS A STRAIGHT OFF THE BOAT CHINESE IMMIGRANT WHO CAN BARELY SPEAK ENGLISH

IT WILL BE YOUR JOB TO AMERICANIZE HIM. A GOOD WAY TO START OFF IS BY TEACHING CURSE WORDS, SPECIFICALLY "SHIT". CHINESE PEOPLE LOVE SAYING SHIT

THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS MY ROOMMATE DIDNT DO HIS LAUNDRY VIA LAUNDRY MACHINE AND DETERGENT, HE JUST SOAKED HIS CLOTHES IN THE SHOWER OR SOME SHIT SO HE SMELLED PRETTY BAD

UM... Hello? My name is Warden Monkeh and I will be your roommate today. All Chinese roommates will go to their beds. No Detour. No Delays. You will lie there till morning and shut the fuck up.

LOL. I can just see that poor kids transfer request... "and he kept telling me to do things with no detour and no delays."

I JUST DID A YEAR IN COLLEGE AND I WAS IN THE SAME EXACT BOAT AS YOU, YOUR ROOMMATE IS A STRAIGHT OFF THE BOAT CHINESE IMMIGRANT WHO CAN BARELY SPEAK ENGLISH

IT WILL BE YOUR JOB TO AMERICANIZE HIM. A GOOD WAY TO START OFF IS BY TEACHING CURSE WORDS, SPECIFICALLY "SHIT". CHINESE PEOPLE LOVE SAYING SHIT

THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS MY ROOMMATE DIDNT DO HIS LAUNDRY VIA LAUNDRY MACHINE AND DETERGENT, HE JUST SOAKED HIS CLOTHES IN THE SHOWER OR SOME SHIT SO HE SMELLED PRETTY BAD

Sooooooo.... does this mean go with the chinamen or don't?