Sign in to follow this  
Church

Video Card

So, on this computer there is already a 9800 GTX - fine for gaming but I want to update.

In another computer of Mine I have a 450 - I like the 450. should I just get another 450?

looking for thoughts, maybe suggestions. trying to stay under 200. I can spend more if its convincing enough :3

edit - Or should I break away from Nvidia

Guest Horny©at

I would experiment with ATI to see if you like it. ATI has really stepped up their game these last 2 years.

To be honest, picking graphics card as of today isn't as hard as it was back then. Most GPU's above 300 series and 5000 series will run almost anything maxed. I would go with EVGA GTX 560 or (6850 by sapphire)

what about the rest of your computer? don't wanna bottleneck

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU - 2.3 GHz, 6 Gigs of ram, Windows 7 running DX11 and 1000w PS. 2 PCIe 2.0 slots. if thats what yer wanting to know is on this one.

oh and a 500g HD

I would experiment with ATI to see if you like it. ATI has really stepped up their game these last 2 years.

To be honest, picking graphics card as of today isn't as hard as it was back then. Most GPU's above 300 series and 5000 series will run almost anything maxed. I would go with EVGA GTX 560 or (6850 by sapphire)

I second this, however Sapphire from all the reviews I have read, they are a little dodgy sometimes. I think going for XFX would be better.

I second this, however Sapphire from all the reviews I have read, they are a little dodgy sometimes. I think going for XFX would be better.

i mean XFX is starting to get dodgy..... I would just wait and get whatever namebrand is cheapest

LOL, no. Its the otherway around.

Xfx Ati cards have been iffy as hell.

I own a 5770 Sapphire card, runs my games nice and smooth for the most part. All depends on Res. If i were you, i'd get for the 200$ range, either a 6870 or a 5850. Either of those would server your purpose beatifully.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU - 2.3 GHz, 6 Gigs of ram, Windows 7 running DX11 and 1000w PS. 2 PCIe 2.0 slots. if thats what yer wanting to know is on this one.

oh and a 500g HD

I wouldn't spend alot of money upgrading my video card if I were you just save up (if you have the patience) and just rebuild you system recycling the power supply windows and the ram if its ddr3 :DDD

I wouldn't spend alot of money upgrading my video card if I were you just save up (if you have the patience) and just rebuild you system recycling the power supply windows and the ram if its ddr3 :DDD

This is true too. Save up from that 200$ you have and wait till like ~1000-1100 if you can 0.o. You can easily rebuild an entirely new system thats very good for that price range.

LOL, no. Its the otherway around.

Xfx Ati cards have been iffy as hell.

I own a 5770 Sapphire card, runs my games nice and smooth for the most part. All depends on Res. If i were you, i'd get for the 200$ range, either a 6870 or a 5850. Either of those would server your purpose beatifully.

I have a HD 6870, is a brilliant card.

Sapphire is one of the oldest and most reliable manufacturers for ATi cards, I think.

people say that ,but 4/5 cards ive gotten from them have been lemons

Honestly, lets not get into manufactuer quality debate here. All manufacturers have duds. Trust me, 4/5 is not the worst i've seen. I talked to people who've ordered other brands than sapphire and gotten out of 4, all 4 duds/died within 1 week. All ati cards from this specific brand. And yet, This brand's Nvidia cards are much better quality.

So, back to the thread.

Either buy a relatively inexpensive 200$ card, OR save up and build an entirely new system( would be better with new quarter incoming, atleast in my opinion)

Sapphire is one of the oldest and most reliable manufacturers for ATi cards, I think.

I stated what I noticed by reviews [on newegg] when I was building my computer almost 2 years ago.

Back to topic:

Based on my knowledge nvidia vs ati in all terms go back and forth over who has the 'fastest' or 'most powerful' GPU. Last time I checked ATI's top card was the best. Although purchasing that card will be expensive, but if willing to molest your piggy bank that shouldn't be a problem. On another note, based on benchmarks put out by overclock.net for example. I observed that Nvidia cards tend to use more power(watts) and generate more heat compared to the ATI cards. The cards will differ in performance based on the game sometimes Nvidia is best and others times it is ATI.

Personally I can go either way with the cards, just find the cards that fits the budget then compare them. Which ever gives a better benchmark just take that one.

I personally Like nvidia better, I find they are just better, and easier to use overall. I have used both, so I can honestly say that, but really it comes down to preference.

NVIDIA All the way, no question, ATI sucks. Gtfo cheap ass ATI fans, thank you.

Ehm... in any case, I'd recommend aswell for that system you'd save up for a nice card, I don't really like the SLI idea, kinda waste... Perhaps 500 series?

from my experience. ati card give you higher fps. but nvidia cards give you smoother gameplay. im not sure if this is still true. i have owned a 8600, 9600, and a hd 4890. it should have been a big jump to the 4890, but it wasnt. i was getting higher frames. but the gameplay was slightly choppier.

from my experience. ati card give you higher fps. but nvidia cards give you smoother gameplay. im not sure if this is still true. i have owned a 8600, 9600, and a hd 4890. it should have been a big jump to the 4890, but it wasnt. i was getting higher frames. but the gameplay was slightly choppier.

Lol, be honest, any of the midrange stuff from either group will be great for most resolutions. Anything lower than 1900x1080 and a 5850/470 would rape.

Dual/Triple monitors, 5858/470 is minimum.

Both those cards go for about 200 last time i checked on newegg.