Sign in to follow this  
BlackStone

Shared net connection

Alright, so I live with a few people, and one person is a complete fucking dick. Whenever he is awake, he leaves his computer running uTorrent which makes my computer's ping skyrocket to 300-600. Impossible to play ANYTHING with that fucking ping.

I turn his computer off IMMEDIATELY when he goes to sleep, my ping drops to 40-60.

what do?

How can I put a throttle on his computer so that he can't suck the bandwidth up and fuck up my enjoyment without him discovering it. He isn't exactly the smartest at shit, which is why he doesn't realize how much bandwidth he's sucking and refuses to listen to the simple order of "turn utorrent off you fucking moron"

QoS (quality of service)

since you have multiple computers on your network, I'm positive you are using a router, login to router, and enable QoS, google around a bit on how to do this, and how to set it up...

if you can, make your ocmputer have the highest priority while his the lowest.... :D

Ask him to cap his upload/download? Hell, if I was your roommate, I'd be pissed if someone were to turn off my computer without permission. Try to be polite about it? =\

Well if he leaves it on you can cap it in uTorrent.

After fiddling with my settings I can play games while torrenting, sometimes.

As for fucking up his system so he has to wipe... Dumby dumb idea. Then he's just gonna have to torrent all that shit back.

I don't mean to fuck up his system, just stop his torrenting.

I've tried changing his settings on utorrent, however, he uses passcodes that range in 10-30 characters using an entirely random array of symbols, characters and numbers..... its retarded how he makes his passcodes.

make a batch file that will close Explorer.exe and put it in the start up folder.. (If hes not technical)

He wont figure it out :P

Nothings Hurt.. just no desktop [:)]

It's not his bandwidth usage that's fucking you over, it's probably the number of connections.

Routers automatically make room for various bandwidth requirements, however when you're making thousands of connections, it fucks with everything.

I can be downloading on uTorrent at 10 KB/s out of my 2 MB/s cap, but still get really shitty pings and internet play because of the sheer number of connections. Sometimes it's not even connections, but the number of "reach outs" to other IPs, or attempted connections.

Someone else is in control of the router and also refuses to believe that this prick is sucking up the bandwidth as "pingtest.com" shows it isn't fucking up.

tell the person since nothing is lagging the connection, there shouldn't be anything wrong setting up QoS for important apps(Skype/VoIP, MSN, gaming, browsing before bittorrent), in case something does happen during the peak hours.. give them proof like

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=comcast+throttle+peak+hour&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

or you could buy a router and place it between the modem and HIS router :D

I have this nice Asus RT-N16 router loaded with Tomato. With QoS set up, nothing(massive clients/connections/bittorrent) can bring that router or my gaming performance down...

if you don't mind paying a little money, buy him a torrent seedbox/Virtual Private Server box. They cost between $5-$20 a month depending on the features, and you get better speeds, and hopefully no DMCA notices(if you get a provider in canada/europe). Not that I do torrent downloading :D.... just enough experiences with them for my web hosting

Not much you can do if you aren't able to access the router or his computer. I suppose you could fight fire with fire and do the same thing when he's trying to use the computer.

I believe theres a way to limit the maximum download rate in network settings of the computer itself, though I haven't used a PC in a while. If not, there are a lot of ways to make it seem like he has a virus without there actually being one. Maybe he'll stop torrenting if he "gets a virus"

If he really won't listen, you could lower his max upload and download in utorrent. If he really doesn't understand download and upload speeds, he won't even notice.

I have the unfortunate luck of the person being in control of the router having much more computer know how then anyone in our clan sadly... I don't even want to attempt accessing the router remotely out of fear that his protections will fry my own system.

I've seen what happens when he purposefully tried to remotely access the router via a crap computer.... computer BSoD and never worked again....

I have the unfortunate luck of the person being in control of the router having much more computer know how then anyone in our clan sadly... I don't even want to attempt accessing the router remotely out of fear that his protections will fry my own system.

I've seen what happens when he purposefully tried to remotely access the router via a crap computer.... computer BSoD and never worked again....

I really doubt that. There are many people in this clan that are very tech savvy when it comes to networking.

wtf @ second part. lawl.

Ya.... I don't want to fuck with it.

Anyway, I've decided to counter-torrent him to be a dick since I just spent the time from when I posted that till right now trying to wake his ass up to turn off his computer.

Anyone know of a good couples of animes that I can DL all at once to fuck with his net when he's awake?

I am going to tell you how to be mean. If you ever have access to his computer just type services.msc in the run line and set his DHCP client to disable. That will solve all of your issues if he is not using a static IP address.