Sign in to follow this  
Zoxopirezox Jared

USB 3.0

When is usb 3.0 going to take off? (I know its out but not many computers are using it.) Does anyone know if USB 2.0 items like iPods and MP3 Players will still work on USB 3.0? And is there a converter for USB 3.0 to 2.0?

Just wondering. Thanks.

When is usb 3.0 going to take off? (I know its out but not many computers are using it.) Does anyone know if USB 2.0 items like iPods and MP3 Players will still work on USB 3.0? And is there a converter for USB 3.0 to 2.0?

Just wondering. Thanks.

You're fucking retarded.

No such thing as a converter. USB 3.0 devices will work in 2.0 ports, it will just operate at 2.0 speeds. Same with iPods and shit on 2.0...They will work in 3.0 ports, just at the slower speed.

It will take off once Intel gets their head out of their ass and starts integrating it into their motherboards.

You're fucking retarded.

No such thing as a converter. USB 3.0 devices will work in 2.0 ports, it will just operate at 2.0 speeds. Same with iPods and shit on 2.0...They will work in 3.0 ports, just at the slower speed.

It will take off once Intel gets their head out of their ass and starts integrating it into their motherboards.

Concur.....

My motherboard uses USB 3.0. It was relatively cheap. If you're that butthurt about it then buy one. Oh wait youre' a macfag........gg scrub

USB 3.0 will not be utilized unless its a USB 3.0 device being used.

As far as i know there really isnt much using usb 3.0 yet, mostly external hard drives.

next 2 + years most devices will use it though, i believe.

also, yes. Usb 2.0 can be used on 3.0 but not the other way round

Bet you regret your mac now, huh?

Because of a post someone made? sorry no. I was just worried when i purchased a new computer if USB 3.0 would suddenly jump and when my computer doesn't have it, it will be obsolete.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Face it Jared, we will never respect you as a real person when you use mac's.

Sounds like your life revolves around the computer. Because when it comes to being a REAL PERSON all that matters is your computer.

Yes they can. USB 1.1 can be used in USB 2.0 ports. It's a speed difference.

Ah, my bad. Its been aw hile since ive looked anything up on it. I thought that was how it works.

let me rephrase..

same shit 3.0 is just faster lol

He's partly right, actually. The B side of USB 3 cables cannot be used on old USB 1/2 receptacles, but you can still use the old cables on USB 3 receptacles. In other words, you may not be able to use USB 3 cables on old devices, but USB 1/2 cables will work fine. The picture below shows the new USB 3 cables that explains why. It's a cable thing, not a device thing.

usb-3-super-speed-a-t-b-cables.jpg

He's partly right, actually. The B side of USB 3 cables cannot be used on old USB 1/2 receptacles, but you can still use the old cables on USB 3 receptacles. In other words, you may not be able to use USB 3 cables on old devices, but USB 1/2 cables will work fine. The picture below shows the new USB 3 cables that explains why. It's a cable thing, not a device thing.

usb-3-super-speed-a-t-b-cables.jpg

That's just one cable, though. I was referring to the standard.

I just bought an external yesterday, and didn't notice till I opened it that it was usb3.0

came with a pcie to usb3 adapter card...

Yes usb 3 works with both usb 3, and with usb 2 (I was worried it wouldn't connect to my work laptop) but fear not, it does work.

Oh and it's pretty epic, I was getting speeds of 45MB/s with it :D

I just bought an external yesterday, and didn't notice till I opened it that it was usb3.0

came with a pcie to usb3 adapter card...

Yes usb 3 works with both usb 3, and with usb 2 (I was worried it wouldn't connect to my work laptop) but fear not, it does work.

Oh and it's pretty epic, I was getting speeds of 45MB/s with it :D

What were you using? a USB 3 external HDD?

USB 3.0

The USB 3.0 Promoter Group announced on 17 November 2008, that version 3.0 of the specification had been completed and had made the transition to the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), the managing body of USB specifications.

This move effectively opened the specification to hardware developers for implementation in future products.

The first certified USB 3.0 consumer products were announced 5 January 2010, at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show (CES), including two motherboards by ASUS and Gigabyte Technology.

VIA_VL810_SuperSpeed_Hub_Demo_Board.jpg

Guest checkster
This. So do I.

Speeds on USB 3.0 are supposed to top out at 250MB/s. That's pathetic if you're getting 45MB/s.

So basicly slower than firewire ?

So basicly slower than firewire ?

Well...kinda. Firewire has a specification that has a theoretical 400MB/s max, while USB 3's theoretical max is 500MB/s. In other words, with USB 3, it's likely you'll be able to obtain 400MB/s after overhead with devices that can actually read/write that fast.

But if you're talking about current, regularly used Firewire like Firewire 800, I've never been able to get over around 80MB/s with it, so no, not slower than Firewire.

This. So do I.

Speeds on USB 3.0 are supposed to top out at 250MB/s. That's pathetic if you're getting 45MB/s.

Lol Noob Moment, sorry I don't really follow the speeds, all I have used before are cheap flash drives.

idk why I was getting such low speeds, might have been doing a backup, or some other disk intensive thing.

I will try copying an HD movie, and see what speeds I can get from it, when I know my computer is pretty much idle (will make sure nothing is using the disk intensively) and report results.

Though I do think it will be limited to the speed of the HDD more so than the cable / technology that we are using to transfer data over, I think to actually obtain this speed you would need SSD's, or a shit load of raid 0 arrays....

I want to find a USB 3.0 device to test speed differences. My mobo came with 2 3.0 ports, and I want to put them to use. Any cheap drive converters out there for it? Preferably with eSATA as well so I can do a speed test there. I'll pop a solid in there and get to work.

Guest Fohacidal

jared you got trolled because you asked a stupid fucking question

Thats like asking someone if unleaded regular will still work in my v8 even if my old car was a v6